News Wondrous Journeys firework show coming to Disneyland

flurbyblurb

It's interesting that the castle moat fountains aren't shown in any of the new concept art or mentioned in the text. Maybe they really are going to be some off-the-shelf pond fountains. Wasn't expecting anything like the WOC or ROA fountains but still a tiny bit disappointing if they don't incorporate them at all. (Not the end of the world or anything, but as a bit of a fountain enthusiast I was/am hoping for something there)

jrhwdw

It's interesting that castle moat fountains aren't shown in any of the concept art or mentioned in the text. Maybe they really are going to be some off-the-shelf pond fountains. Wasn't expecting anything like the WOC or ROA fountains but still a tiny bit disappointing if they don't incorporate them at all. (Not the end of the world or anything, but as a bit of a fountain enthusiast I was/am hoping for something there)
You would think DL would at least have colored lights on the Fountains for this.........

Also no mention of Tink......Baymax is fine but let's hope he's not replacing Tink!

wtyy21

The orchestral fanfare reminds me of HEA and DF which gives me some hope, but I hope they don't lose the folksy sound from what they presented at D23. The Encanto projections look really good.
Folksy sound presented at D23 only intended to be included at post-show i believe, given that the main fireworks shows are supposed to included the orchestral sound of it. Also, the Animation style of the new show giving the show HEA feel.

CaptinEO

Disney has shared new details on Wondrous Journeys -

"This all-new nighttime spectacular will celebrate 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios in an experience that ignites the dreamer in all of us. “Wondrous Journeys” will feature nods to every film released by the iconic studio over the past century, with music, characters and special moments from favorite stories including “Encanto,” (depicted above), “Hercules,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Peter Pan,” “Frozen,” “Treasure Planet,” “Big Hero 6,” “Moana,” and more.

After three decades in the motion picture business, Walt Disney created a whole new form of family entertainment in 1955 with the opening of Disneyland park. That’s why Disneyland, Walt’s original park, is the perfect place to debut “Wondrous Journeys.”

The spectacular will also feature an original new song, “It’s Wondrous,” that promises to capture your heart and spark your imagination. Check out this behind-the-scenes look at the recording session for this song, and hear from some of the creative minds behind this new spectacular.

Throughout “Wondrous Journeys,” you will embark on an adventure filled with artistry, music, storytelling, and heart as we celebrate the dreamers at Disney Animation who have shared their imagination and talents with the world for one hundred years.

State-of-the-art projection effects will surround you with blank pieces of paper, pencil sketches, and splashes of color, as the artistry of animators breathe life into beloved characters from Mickey Mouse and Bambi to Ariel and Mirabel. And in a thrilling moment of heroism, Baymax soars high above Sleeping Beauty Castle inspiring us all to fight for our dreams.

Special lighting effects, projections, and more carry us on an adventure full of possibilities, excitement, heartache, and determination that help us realize we all face trials and triumphs along the way to making our dreams come true.

Main Street, U.S.A., Sleeping Beauty Castle, the façade of “it’s a small world” and the Rivers of America will turn into an artist’s canvas and bring stories to life all around you. And on select nights, “Wondrous Journeys” will go even bigger with the addition of sparkling fireworks in the sky above Disneyland park."

Behind the scenes video -

100 years and the films they name are all in the last 25 besides peter pan.

Treasure Planet? That was the film that made my family's annual Disney feature theater watching end. It was so bad.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

100 years and the films they name are all in the last 25 besides peter pan.

Treasure Planet? That was the film that made my family's annual Disney feature theater watching end. It was so bad.
They just named a few films. They’re not going to literally name every single animated Disney film in a promo.

Treasure Planet deserves to be in the show. Any clip will likely just be a flash, but if “I’m Still Here” makes it into the show, I’ll be very happy. One of the greatest Disney soundtrack songs ever, in my opinion.

GiveMeTheMusic

They just named a few films. They’re not going to literally name every single animated Disney film in a promo.

Treasure Planet deserves to be in the show. Any clip will likely just be a flash, but if “I’m Still Here” makes it into the show, I’ll be very happy. One of the greatest Disney soundtrack songs ever, in my opinion.

I too want "I'm Still Here" in the show, but only if they use Elaine Stritch's recording:

Phroobar

is anyone else worried that wondrous journeys and woc one will be basically the same show?

both are "100 years of disney animation" (when in all reality it'll be (the last) 33 years of disney animation), so...? what's gonna be the difference?
One will highlight Peter Pan. The other will highlight the Jungle Book. They are both going to ignore the Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company.

Californian Elitist

is anyone else worried that wondrous journeys and woc one will be basically the same show?

both are "100 years of disney animation" (when in all reality it'll be (the last) 33 years of disney animation), so...? what's gonna be the difference?
I’ve said the same thing. Not sure what the difference will be, in terms of the premise and content. It’s the same show, no? I could be wrong, but how could we know if Disney refuses to release more information and promote these things?

TsWade2

This will be interesting. I’m surprise that they’re going to include Treasure Planet. I guess Disney finally realized that despite of Treasure Planet being a box office flop, it became a cult following.:)

PiratesMansion

This will be interesting. I’m surprise that they’re going to include Treasure Planet. I guess Disney finally realized that despite of Treasure Planet being a box office flop, it became a cult following.:)
Well, if they're going to include all of the Disney animated films as they're claiming, Treasure Planet counts.

I personally will not be satisfied until we get five straight minutes of Saludos Amigos content that is clearly differentiated from Three Caballeros in this obviously very thorough fireworks show they'll be mounting for the anniversary.

Nland316

I believe I read somewhere that Jordan Peterson (creative director for Magic Happens and Oogie Boogie Bash) is leading this project as well?

Pretty excited for it, even despite the lack of info. His projects are a breath of fresh air compared to Steve Davison's usual works.

GiveMeTheMusic

I’ve said the same thing. Not sure what the difference will be, in terms of the premise and content. It’s the same show, no? I could be wrong, but how could we know if Disney refuses to release more information and promote these things?

Wondrous Journeys is a straight up "celebration of animation" while WOC1 is very much about the one drop makes a ripple theme and how that is expressed in Disney and Pixar and Lucasfilm (and Marvel? Haven't gotten an answer on that one yet) IP.

VJ

Wondrous Journeys is a straight up "celebration of animation" while WOC1 is very much about the one drop makes a ripple theme and how that is expressed in Disney and Pixar and Lucasfilm (and Marvel? Haven't gotten an answer on that one yet) IP.
thank you for the clarification!

Californian Elitist

353F1EFD-D7C2-4B65-A89F-32D6CBDA9C25.jpeg

SuddenStorm

I believe I read somewhere that Jordan Peterson (creative director for Magic Happens and Oogie Boogie Bash) is leading this project as well?

Pretty excited for it, even despite the lack of info. His projects are a breath of fresh air compared to Steve Davison's usual works.

I hope he gets Davison's job once Davison retires, if not sooner. I've chatted with him briefly and he really gets it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom