News Wondrous Journeys firework show coming to Disneyland

Disney Analyst

This is totally possible. Just look at the international parks, where it's strictly prohibited by law to have high pyro/shells. DLP gets around this by having castle/FL-pyro only shows nightly. HKDL and Shangai also.

Wondrous Journeys already has a lot of low level pyro, all synced up nicely. So it would be fine to just have that B-mode show operate during the weekdays if they so choose. But it's all because of $$ probably in the end.

And don't get me started on Fantasmic! lol, truly a travesty for the past decade or so with how it's operated..

My only fear would be Disney going “oh look, they don’t mind the pyro lite version, let’s make that the only version”.

waltography

I'm surprised. They added so much additional castle pyro throughout the show. Especially during Immortals, all the new pyro with crackles makes it 10x better. The Wondrous reprise finale is also so much better with the additional pyro, and that ending with the exploding comets, very HEA and DE-like.

I would call this more A-mode lite. B-mode would be when they just turn off the high shells and leave the rest of the show untouched. But it seems like they planned ahead with this showing and equipped the show with more pyro and different sequences.
B-modes have been like this for some time now; I think the first time they had a dedicated castle-pyro B-mode for a show was with Disneyland Forever, but the most recent one I can think of is Believe... in Holiday Magic (in both instances they were like WJ where they relied heavily on extra comets/fans/fountains to fill the gaps).

waltography

My only fear would be Disney going “oh look, they don’t mind the pyro lite version, let’s make that the only version”.
Yes, let's not get it twisted Disney; this is a great show given the circumstances, but the show doesn't hit nearly as hard with those beautiful and big peonies and chrysanthemums.

gerarar

Premium Member
B-modes have been like this for some time now; I think the first time they had a dedicated castle-pyro B-mode for a show was with Disneyland Forever, but the most recent one I can think of is Believe... in Holiday Magic (in both instances they were like WJ where they relied heavily on extra comets/fans/fountains to fill the gaps).
Ah that makes sense. I probably just didn't notice it much, just seemed like they added so so much to WJ B-mode that it was too hard to not notice lol.

wtyy21

Believe In Holiday Magic was the first time they had a dedicated the castle b-mode pyro throughout the show, back on November 10, 2018, during its second day of performance.

Now, all Disneyland nighttime spectaculars (with exception of Mickey's Mix Magic) have a castle pyro backups sort of B-Mode which can be utilized if the show was heavily impacted by high winds or technical difficulties which make the show cannot run the fireworks normally. They even can make a nighttime spectacular the projection-only show if weather goes poor (with exception of Forever as well as Believe in Holiday Magic (they do snowfall finale only) and special non-NYE firework shows). They have this to minimize the guest's complain about the cancellation of firework shows only due to poor weather or technical difficulties, also to address the lack of nighttime shows during the weeknights off season.

SuddenStorm

Believe In Holiday Magic was the first time they had a dedicated the castle b-mode pyro throughout the show, back on November 10, 2018, during its second day of performance.

Now, all Disneyland nighttime spectaculars (with exception of Mickey's Mix Magic) have a castle pyro backups sort of B-Mode which can be utilized if the show was heavily impacted by high winds or technical difficulties which make the show cannot run the fireworks normally. They even can make a nighttime spectacular the projection-only show if weather goes poor (with exception of Forever as well as Believe in Holiday Magic (they do snowfall finale only) and special non-NYE firework shows). They have this to minimize the guest's complain about the cancellation of firework shows only due to poor weather or technical difficulties, also to address the lack of nighttime shows during the weeknights off season.

When I was there on Christmas Eve, Believe ran for about two minutes, before going dark and right into the 'snowfall' thing they do post show.

So while there is a B mode, Disney doesn't use it every time.

Disney Analyst

When I was there on Christmas Eve, Believe ran for about two minutes, before going dark and right into the 'snowfall' thing they do post show.

So while there is a B mode, Disney doesn't use it every time.

It depends on the reason for the stoppage of pyro. If the wind is low and can blow castle pyro into the crowd, they will cut all pyro fully.

And or any sort of system error or glitch.

waltography

Ah, thank you for the timeline clarification! I know Disneyland Forever got its B-mode when it came back for a time in 2019, but I didn't know Believe got it earlier.

waltography

Someone continue to point out that Wish is in the end of the First Time in Forever segment.
Are you talking about the moment when the castle looks glittery/platinum? I guess it could be that, but the the stars in Wish look markedly different so I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the year:

1676157460948.png

Twilight_Roxas

One is saying that it’s in the wishing segment, and someone else saids that it’s in the ending of For the First Time in Forever. But you don’t see Asha, Valentino nor Star.

Nirya

Booked a Magic Key reservation just so I can go see this show for the first time after work tomorrow.

Ok, finally put together some thoughts after seeing this show (got to the parks an hour before and was able to snag a viewing spot near the Frontierland entrance).

This is just a really good show, maybe the best they've done since Remember at Disneyland. The music is excellent, especially that medley of Go the Distance/Belle/How Far I'll Go/Out There that stole the audience's breath away during the showing I saw. Yes, there's more leaning on recent stuff, but I don't think that's a big problem in the grand scheme of things. And I felt the integration of clips and dialogue from the movies was well-done in a way that the more recent World of Colors have failed at.

If there is a problem, it's that the reliance on the projections is pretty high. I can't comment on the other viewing sites since I only saw it at the castle, but I would bet the average guests' enjoyment of the show would be highly based on their ability to see the castle. I stood next to this family, and while the dad and the son he was holding were able to enjoy the show, while their daughter who could not see the castle because she was too short did not seem to be having a good time. There were really not a lot of fireworks in the air, which probably hurts in that regard.

Overall, though, this was an excellent show, one I would actually recommend waiting around for to watch.

waltography

Ok, finally put together some thoughts after seeing this show (got to the parks an hour before and was able to snag a viewing spot near the Frontierland entrance).

This is just a really good show, maybe the best they've done since Remember at Disneyland. The music is excellent, especially that medley of Go the Distance/Belle/How Far I'll Go/Out There that stole the audience's breath away during the showing I saw. Yes, there's more leaning on recent stuff, but I don't think that's a big problem in the grand scheme of things. And I felt the integration of clips and dialogue from the movies was well-done in a way that the more recent World of Colors have failed at.

If there is a problem, it's that the reliance on the projections is pretty high. I can't comment on the other viewing sites since I only saw it at the castle, but I would bet the average guests' enjoyment of the show would be highly based on their ability to see the castle. I stood next to this family, and while the dad and the son he was holding were able to enjoy the show, while their daughter who could not see the castle because she was too short did not seem to be having a good time. There were really not a lot of fireworks in the air, which probably hurts in that regard.

Overall, though, this was an excellent show, one I would actually recommend waiting around for to watch.
You went Friday evening, yes? Shame you caught it when the pyro was in B-mode! I'd imagine the lack of high-altitude pyro hurt in that regard.

Vegas Disney Fan

Even if that was B-mode, you could see there's a really good show there. I imagine with higher-level fireworks it works even better.

We saw it for the first time Friday and absolutely loved it, I noticed a lack of “booms” but never felt the fireworks were lacking at all. It wasn’t until we saw it with the big fireworks Saturday I realized they were missing the night before.

One of my biggest complaints of DL is how often they cancel the fireworks, if the B mode allows them to have the show more often I’m all for it because we loved it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom