Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

DinoInstitute

Simply put and a great story for the ages...As usual, this is one of those situations where WDI and Operations didn't collaborate with each other.

WDI designed it that each guest would get their own console because of how the design studio lobby, design studio itself and the show timing (3 settings) and could be up to 3 if a group wants to stay together. Problem is, no one ever told WDI about the Fastpass merge ratios. As one Imagineer said after a friend on the opening team talking to him about Fastpass ratios, "Oh god, we screwed up."

Hence, the 3 per circle was born (as well as blowing up a hole in the wall to go directly into the design studio lobby after TT became the #1 complained attraction at Epcot because FP folks were complaining that weren't getting to design). As for the empty consoles, it's because there's only a certain amount allowed in each room. The faster load is dispatching vehicles, the more you can put in a room (about 60-70). If load isn't dispatching as fast for whatever reason it may be, then the number going inside the design studio is less. So yes, you can complain all you want regarding not being to skip the design studio but it's done that way for crowd control. It's pulsing the line at the way they need it to be. If they allow everyone to skip through, it would be anarchy. If you want to skip the design studio, great, but wait until you get inside it and just walk through.
That makes sense, seems like theoretically something that could be fixed with another refurb that probably won’t happen. (Though I wasn’t complaining about wanting to skip the studio at all!).

SuperStretccch

Single rider at Test Track still skips the design studio. Honestly, I don't even do FP for Test Track anymore and just go in the single rider line. The car designing is cool the first few times, but personally I'd rather just get on the ride and go.

Bender123

Single rider at Test Track still skips the design studio. Honestly, I don't even do FP for Test Track anymore and just go in the single rider line. The car designing is cool the first few times, but personally I'd rather just get on the ride and go.

It "kind of" skips it...there are optional kiosks to complete a car. There is no requirement to stop at them and its completely voluntary to stop or skip.

geekza

I've never been on Test Track as it had crazy waits when I was last there in 2006. What are the designs even used for? They don't make a difference at all in the attraction, correct? They just show a predetermined "test result" at the end for the options you selected. I genuinely don't know.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I've never been on Test Track as it had crazy waits when I was last there in 2006. What are the designs even used for? They don't make a difference at all in the attraction, correct? They just show a predetermined "test result" at the end for the options you selected. I genuinely don't know.
They don't change the attraction really. But at the end of each segment of the ride you get rankings of how everyone's cars did in that section. It is fun to get a little competitive with friends or family at who can make the best car and get the highscore. But it really doesn't add much. I never considered myself to be missing anything doing the single rider line where you don't really design a car.

Missing20K

I've never understood the "design a car" portion of the attraction. I'm sure even my 10 year old self would have been disappointed. Especially because it all ends up being pretty pointless to the ride.

Goofyernmost

I've never understood the "design a car" portion of the attraction. I'm sure even my 10 year old self would have been disappointed. Especially because it all ends up being pretty pointless to the ride.
I suppose one could ride it strictly for the fun of riding it. I have never used the design section, I still enjoy the ride, perhaps more then those that do the design, because my focus is just on the fun of the ride and never once thought that the design part was anything more then just something to calm the nerves of the Type A group while they waited to ride. Seriously, don't people ride roller coasters, just for the fun of it even though they didn't design anything about it?

trainplane3

Pointless? Yes. But I always treat it as a way to see how far into the negatives I can get "Efficiency". It gives people a good laugh on the ride when my car comes up for the efficiency portion. Oh, I do choose random languages every time I do it too.
wYVpIUZatSlWKFBhfxmro-bCgS5lX-fgZsfrQcGwWFGD0dzISHZRiHgfAwMQzBWtnmU9j-zNxl7vkgRxIKi_BHra7Nkl_9CK95Y6d9GcPmvRO94f4Nbrxvzx03ScsN-PvkktvwYNUC4=w1731-h1298-no

Last edited:

SuperStretccch

They don't change the attraction really. But at the end of each segment of the ride you get rankings of how everyone's cars did in that section. It is fun to get a little competitive with friends or family at who can make the best car and get the highscore. But it really doesn't add much. I never considered myself to be missing anything doing the single rider line where you don't really design a car.

Although I've never done them, I think the car designs can be used in the post-show games too. At the end, you can scan and see what your car's final score is, you can race it around a virtual slot car track with other people, or make a commercial for it. And because it's Disney, you can shell out $ for a souvenir card featuring your car. Fun!

trainplane3

Although I've never done them, I think the car designs can be used in the post-show games too. At the end, you can scan and see what your car's final score is, you can race it around a virtual slot car track with other people, or make a commercial for it. And because it's Disney, you can shell out $ for a souvenir card featuring your car. Fun!
To add: Yes the games and ads, plus you can get a picture with your car. As dumb as it sounds, it's some dumb fun to stand in front of a projection screen and doing some poses with your friends in front of a poorly designed car. While everyone is posing with a Corvette, here's me and a friend or two laying on the floor as our imaginary car is about to hit us.

While the car doesn't effect the ride, it does add a bunch of small but fun activities after the ride.

mikejs78

Premium Member
FWIW - my 8 year old son loves that aspect of it. He loves designing his own car and being competitive with the other riders. He usually wins.

RSoxNo1

Simply put and a great story for the ages...As usual, this is one of those situations where WDI and Operations didn't collaborate with each other.

WDI designed it that each guest would get their own console because of how the design studio lobby, design studio itself and the show timing (3 settings) and could be up to 3 if a group wants to stay together. Problem is, no one ever told WDI about the Fastpass merge ratios. As one Imagineer said after a friend on the opening team talking to him about Fastpass ratios, "Oh god, we screwed up."

Hence, the 3 per circle was born (as well as blowing up a hole in the wall to go directly into the design studio lobby after TT became the #1 complained attraction at Epcot because FP folks were complaining that weren't getting to design). As for the empty consoles, it's because there's only a certain amount allowed in each room. The faster load is dispatching vehicles, the more you can put in a room (about 60-70). If load isn't dispatching as fast for whatever reason it may be, then the number going inside the design studio is less. So yes, you can complain all you want regarding not being to skip the design studio but it's done that way for crowd control. It's pulsing the line at the way they need it to be. If they allow everyone to skip through, it would be anarchy. If you want to skip the design studio, great, but wait until you get inside it and just walk through.
Thanks for sharing, this is interesting.

The other component that's baffling is that they only have two of the design kiosks in the post show, yet dozens of similar sized monitors that are used for commercial design and stuff that I rarely see anyone experiencing. These could certainly be better utilized as there's always a line at the two design kiosks.

RSoxNo1

This is another issue I have with the attraction. Because the attraction has been setup with monitors throughout, you should get to see your Sim Cars (perhaps best and worst in vehicle) run through the test you just went through. This can be done either on the in car monitors or external monitors, giant screens.

It should also be noted that the design component screams EPCOT Center to me. I just wish it was better integrated into the ride itself.

JJJ

Pointless? Yes. But I always treat it as a way to see how far into the negatives I can get "Efficiency". It gives people a good laugh on the ride when my car comes up for the efficiency portion. Oh, I do choose random languages every time I do it too.
wYVpIUZatSlWKFBhfxmro-bCgS5lX-fgZsfrQcGwWFGD0dzISHZRiHgfAwMQzBWtnmU9j-zNxl7vkgRxIKi_BHra7Nkl_9CK95Y6d9GcPmvRO94f4Nbrxvzx03ScsN-PvkktvwYNUC4=w1731-h1298-no
That's funny; I do the exact opposite, going solely for efficiency and usually getting a score around 106. I also try to add some flowers to make it the ultimate hippie-mobile, lol.

MVIMG_20180805_165022.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom