Wonder Woman 1984 Spoiler Thread

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I enjoyed Wonder Woman well enough (I'm not hugely into the other DC movies; I'm very much in the Marvel camp. Anyway...)

I liked Kristin Wigg as Cheetah. I wasn't sure she could do a good villain, but I enjoyed her performance.

For me the worst letdown was Steve Trevor. It was like we went through the repeat of losing him all over again. Plus, they never point out that he's literally inhabiting someone else's body the entire time. Doesn't anyone miss the other guy? Don't Steve and Diana feel at all guilty for this? It seems very out of character for both of them. If they were going to bring him back, they should have brought him back on a more permanent basis. That was a letdown.

erasure fan1

If they were going to bring him back, they should have brought him back on a more permanent basis. That was a letdown.
That's why I thought the dream stone was kind of weak, it just made everything too convenient. As soon as they asked Dianna what she would wish for, you knew that's how Steve was coming back. And when they said it takes what's most important to you and Steve says, your powers. I said well, that's how he "dies". Overall I thought the whole movie was a bit of a letdown.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What I posted in the other thread with spoiler tags, I shall repeat without...

WW84 wasn't awful... but it wasn't very good, either. So many missteps:
  • Making the mid '80s a stereotype of the 'greed is good' generation.
  • Non-powered humans being saved/attacked in such a physical manner that they surely would have been killed or had serious injuries.
  • Chris Pine's hair: Bad cut, bad dye. Wasn't anything like his host body's hair (which was dyed to be too black) nor like his World War I hair, which is what Diana is supposed to be seeing? No reason to make a hot guy look not-hot.
  • Between the extraordinary control of her lasso and casting an invisibility spell, Diana is now a wizard
  • Max Lord, the power-hungry genius is just an insecure con man who turns to good in the end (the DC Fanboys' heads are probably exploding right now)
  • When we cut to the scene where Diana finds Barbara to be secretly funny... would have been nice to see that rather than be told. Kristen Wiig is a very good comic actress, so...?
  • whatever god of lies is behind the gem would have been good to see. That's Wonder Woman's major shtick... dealing with gods. Discord (Golden Apple, goddess vanity contest, Paris of Troy, Trojan War, And Agamemnon dead) would have been perfect.
  • random rioting... like, who are all those people and what are they fighting about? And that was when only a few dozen people got wishes. Felt like the director told the extras, "OK people, you're upset and fighting and rioting, so, just run around and yell at each other."
  • Cheetah's CGI was just bad. Very bad. Looked like Zombie Cheetah. Why keep the hair? Why desaturate the color of a very prominently colored animal? The CGI battle was as bad as Black Panther v. Killmonger in the mines.

Wendy Pleakley

I wish this movie had been better. It was okay, first one was better. Gal Gadot is very charismatic in the role and really carries the movie. Kristen Wiig was good. Bringing back Chris Pine to give her closure with him was fine, but having him tag along the entire movie felt somewhat pointless. He was just there for the sake of being there.

I wish this movie wasn't two and a half hours long.

I wish I could understand how Wonder Woman can swing from anything (including lighting bolts) like Spider-Man and basically fly like Superman. For reasons I guess?

erasure fan1

I wish I could understand how Wonder Woman can swing from anything (including lighting bolts) like Spider-Man and basically fly like Superman. For reasons I guess
Yea this kind of bugged me as well. It just seemed like a lazy approach. What ever they needed for the story, they just, BAM, gave her that power. And if she could just up and fly like Superman, why go through the whole wizard magic invisible plane stuff. Or the winged armor scene for that matter.
I wish this movie wasn't two and a half hours long.
This I don't get as well. There was no reason this movie needed to be that long. A just under 2hr run time would have been just fine.

Ellen Ripley

Yea this kind of bugged me as well. It just seemed like a lazy approach. What ever they needed for the story, they just, BAM, gave her that power. And if she could just up and fly like Superman, why go through the whole wizard magic invisible plane stuff. Or the winged armor scene for that matter.

This I don't get as well. There was no reason this movie needed to be that long. A just under 2hr run time would have been just fine.
She's been able to fly in the comics for years, so I'm glad they put that in

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, but not because someone suggested to just become one with the wind.

Although it certainly beats the 70's version of WW being able to glide around on air currents because she's so skinny and light. Hear that gals? Don't be chubby or else you can't ride wind currents.

erasure fan1

It's not that she can, I know she did in the comics, although it was with special boots if I recall. It was the all of a sudden aspect because the story needed it. Everything seemed, how do we solve this problem? Easy! Wonder Woman learns a new power. Plus the flying and super jumping stuff just looked amateur so that didn't help.

fractal

Wonder Woman 1984 was good; but could have been better.

The first "Olympic" scene set the stage for "only the truth matters" lesson and contained a lot of eye-candy but I felt was too long.

The Mall scene was overly contrived, filled with stereotypes and somewhat cringe worthy.

Gal Gadot is physically a perfect WW but her acting and handling of dialogue is still inconsistent and struggles with feeling genuine.

Overall I liked Kristen Wiig except the times she defaulted back to her SNL personality. She did a good job of pulling off her transformation.

Pedro Pascal was terrific. That character and the dialogue he was given could have been a real disaster with a lessor actor. Pedro delivered those lines with in an enjoyable over the top way that I felt carried the movie (along with the WW action scenes). The movie became much more watchable after he shows up. Even the final "corny and somewhat stupid" act was kept alive more by his acting than anything else.

I enjoyed the homage the film payed to Richard Donnor's Superman; the initial scenes of WW saving ordinary people in "real life" dangers, the
scene with Steve in the plane that reminded me of Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder flying over Manhattan, and WW solo flights in the clouds. Superman the Movie, however did much better job of evoking emotions.

The main plot of the "wish stone" was a retelling of the classic short story "The Monkey's Paw" but at a global scale. Luckily, Steve's "Herbert" didn't come back as a pile of bones, but that whole thing was somewhat goofy. The "Be careful what you wish for" lesson did resonate with me, especially how wishing for something out of jealously or greed does degrade the person you already are. The religious undertones; when Max Lord (an obviously symbolic name) asked the evangelist to tell his people to say "wish" instead of "pray", also connected and brought to mind the sermons I've heard about praying to God is not like praying to a Genie. We don't pray to ask God for more money or a new car. This entire dynamic has me thinking about the movie a day or so after watching it, which is not something I can say about every Superhero movie I've watched.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Gal Gadot is very charismatic in the role and really carries the movie
Really? Her charisma and beauty saved her cause her acting was subpar. I even think Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig were the best parts of the movie.

I just can't get through that horrible CGI finale fight. Kinda like Black Panther CGI fight all over again.

Screamface

I went in expecting a dumpster fire. Low expectations, thinking I might enjoy it as a bad movie. I actually just ended up being entertained by it. It's not a good movie, but I was entertained for a couple of hours.

Completely pointless movie though.

Fox&Hound

oh man the "Pitch Meeting" slayed that movie! I liked parts of it (Kirstin Wiig and Pedro Pascal being the highlights) but the horrible 80's scene at the mall that looked like a M&T commercial and the whole body possession thing were just way too much. Bad CGI fights and a lead actress who is beautiful but mostly devoid of emotions- I wanted it to be so much better than it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom