Woman airlifted to ORMC after riding Mission: Space

hardcard

i've been saying that for a while.. While I don't believe the ride is hurting the un-hurt person, it's going to continue to generate so much negative publicity that they'll shutter it ..

Sorry for the 'fan boys' that are lying to themselves and saying that isn't true, but it's simply business.. it doesn't matter if the ride is at fault or not, what matters is public opinion and their awareness of the issues.

socalkdg

MKCP 1985 said:
That actually happened at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Disneyland a couple years ago.
With the DLR hitting record attendance last year and this year I don't think the general public even cares about these incidents or they realize that they have more of a chance of being injured in a car then on any of these rides.

Ringo8n24

MKCP 1985 said:
That actually happened at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Disneyland a couple years ago.

You are right. I had forgotten about that. :hammer: If it happened at Disney properties as much as it happens at other amusement parks when it comes to multiple injuries, all the rides at Disney would be much more scrutized than the other parks. I personally am not a fan of those traditional amusement parks with the ferris wheels, wooden roller coasters, etc. I suppose because there are so many across the country they do not always make the headlines too long for injuries at each if they do at all.

CaptainMichael

Sorry to burst your bubbles Hardcard and Mr. D, M:S had lines out the doors yesterday. Thanks to these tragedies, more people are now able to experience M:S.

CrashNet

The ride will not be shutdown, but you are right concerning whether the ride is at fault or not. All of the serious related injuries and unfortunate deaths have not been the cause of the ride, but then again, DCA's rollercoaster lost brake control and injured over a dozen people. To this day its still in operation with long lines.

A park ride, especially one outside of the box, is like any other major investment: you take a risk, build it, and then you open it and see what happens. The ride itself is a huge success, and Disney will continue to make changes it deems necessary to improve the experience.

People have to remember that ANYTHING can happen on any ride. Would Disney permanently shutdown Space Mountain if someone were injured? Would they permanently shutdown Spaceship Earth because someone decided to try and pass a small child from one car to the other, and yes, that has happened. A young boy died from a heart defect on Rock n' Rollercoaster, and its still hugely popular. A man died on Splash Mountain after being hit by a vehicle, and its still open and widely popular. All of these are equal in comparison to what has happened on Mission: Space, and I'm starting to see that people are putting it in a category of its own only because of their own fear of an attraction where the sense of control is far less than any of the other examples above.

All I'm looking for is perspective. The same people who say this ride needs to be shutdown and they would never ride it are the same people who get in their cars everyday and whether they want to admit it or not, put themselves at risk each and every time they turn the key.

This stuff happens. Its part of life, and its far better to enjoy it than to live in a bubble.

GothMickey

I want to be the person controlling the bulldozer when they knock down Mission: SPACE once and for all.. of course, this won't be happening anytime soon.. So I will just have to bulldoze it in my dreams....

CaptainMichael

GothMickey said:
I want to be the person controlling the bulldozer when they knock down Mission: SPACE once and for all.. of course, this won't be happening anytime soon.. So I will just have to bulldoze it in my dreams....
Well, in the meantime, take the bulldozer over WoL, so we can finally end rumors of its return.:wave:

hokielutz

STR8FAN2005 said:
Well, in the meantime, take the bulldozer over WoL, so we can finally end rumors of its return.:wave:

Amen.... Since park maps still have the building and list it as open seasonally its really confusing. Which season is it open?? If its closed... don't list it.

Ringo8n24

I just had proof of the media's Disney negativity hit home. I was talking to my dad and he said "WDW should shut down that Mission Space ride" and "I cannot believe how Disney is now with this ride being dangerous". I was like "you do not know the whole story". He says "oh, okay" and he understands how many people ride that thing without incident (especially his son-in-law who rode it 4 times in a row when it opened and loves it). I am very blessed to have a father that took me to WDW almost every summer as a child because he loved it. When he starts believing the media's negativity to WDW, I had to go "whoa, stop". So, just think of how many out there are feeling anti-Disney like my dad and cannot talk through it with someone.

Connor002

metscool said:
Did she die or is she still alive. If she is alive then she knows not to ride that ride again.
That's a pretty big "If."
Anyway... there were no reports of her death, therefore it is safe to assume she came out of it relatively okay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom