Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

jeangreyforever

There's also something about Disney making fun of itself that just isn't as funny as Dreamworks mocking Disney like they did with Shrek.
I also want to point out that while Dreamworks has a long history of mocking Disney, at least they've never gone as far as constantly deriding their own movies like Disney does. They have respect for their own library at least.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Do they stand up to the test of time? Because there are people who would like nothing better than Snow White to be cancelled. When Splash Mountain got cancelled, I saw Disney moms on social media saying the Pinocchio ride should be next because Disney is advocating for keeping children in cages. Society needs to remember that as progressive and enlightened as they think they are now, the media they consume will be just as dated (if not moreso) in decades, if not even a few years. Ralph Breaks the Internet is a perfect example of a movie that was dated just one year later. 50 years from now, no one will care to remember it even just to make a parody of it. Films like Snow White should be treated with respect by at least their own company even if no one else does. When Disney goes out of their way to claim Snow White is outdated and only exists to make room for the "real classics" like Frozen or Encanto, there is a legitimate problem. This is just one of many reasons as to why long-time Disney fans feel alienated and upset as it's a complete disservice to them and all the wonderful people who worked on those classic films in the first place.
Society changes, and so do how we look at certain themes and tropes. A piece of work that is deemed a classic should not be put up on a pedestal and never re-evaluated or looked at with modern sensibilities. It can still be respected as a classic but also still poked fun at with regards to the themes and tropes used that can been seen as outdated by modern sensibilities. Again especially by its creators.

Also I don't think I've ever heard anyone at Disney call Frozen or Encanto a "real classic" over other Disney films like Snow White or Cinderella. Terms like "modern classic" might be used.

Ghost93

Why shouldn't Disney make fun of itself? If the classics truly stand up to the test of time, I feel most do, then they can and should be poked fun at especially by its creators. Especially about tropes that are seen as outdated by today's standards. And so because society is in a different place today than when most of the old tropes were used; those type of stories aren't told much anymore by most studios, let alone Disney.
As a general approach, I prefer Disney to move forward from outdated tropes simply by not using them in their new movies rather than mocking the classics.

I feel movies like Moana, Coco, Raya and the Last Dragon, Encanto, etc. do a good job of moving the company forward in a more progressive direction without feeling the need to trash the company's legacy.

jeangreyforever

Society changes, and so do how we look at certain themes and tropes. A piece of work that is deemed a classic should not be put up on a pedestal and never re-evaluated or looked at with modern sensibilities. It can still be respected as a classic but also still poked fun at with regards to the themes and tropes used that can been seen as outdated by modern sensibilities. Again especially by its creators.

Also I don't think I've ever heard anyone at Disney call Frozen or Encanto a "real classic" over other Disney films like Snow White or Cinderella. Terms like "modern classic" might be used.
It's one thing to poke fun at a thing once in a while. It's another thing entirely to constantly poke fun at something over and over. Almost every Disney movie from the past decade has felt the need to throw in a dig at Disney's legacy. Moana with the princess comment which came totally out of nowhere. Elsa's remark to Anna about not marrying a man she's just met (which is ironic, because Anna more or less still does that by the end of the movie). The live-action Beauty and the Beast had Belle scoff in disgust about being mistaken for a princess. The entire premise of the Maleficent movies. Tangled with Flynn's narration and "meta" remark about not singing. The Princess and the Frog making fun of princess culture with Charlotte and dissing the idea of wishing on stars. The list goes on and on, and it really all started with Enchanted. I used to love the movie, but it hasn't aged well for me and I can see why a lot of other Disney fans didn't warm up to it because it really got the ball rolling.
I don't see WB or MGM attacking the legacy of The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca or Singin' in the Rain in all their latest movies with dig after dig. Gone with the Wind might be deemed problematic now, but even then you don't hear constant reference to it being made fun of. Why is it that every other studio treats their library with respect unlike Disney who seems ashamed of it? I suppose part of the reason is that current management really has nothing to do with making the Disney classics. They aren't their creators, they're just their stewards. Disney+ missing most of the classic cartoons or Walt Disney live-action pictures gives a clear indication as to what product Disney doesn't care for.

Watch the 85th Anniversary Snow White Blu-Ray that came out exclusively from the DMC. There's a bonus feature on it "celebrating" Snow White's legacy. There are posts all about it on Blu-ray.com and how basically the entire bonus feature was just explaining how Snow White is an old and outdated movie but we shouldn't hate it too much because it gave us the real Disney movies like Frozen and Encanto. I'm surprised that more people on Blu-ray.com felt offended than on an actual Disney forum, but then again the age group there skewers older.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's one thing to poke fun at a thing once in a while. It's another thing entirely to constantly poke fun at something over and over. Almost every Disney movie from the past decade has felt the need to throw in a dig at Disney's legacy. Moana with the princess comment which came totally out of nowhere. Elsa's remark to Anna about not marrying a man she's just met (which is ironic, because Anna more or less still does that by the end of the movie). The live-action Beauty and the Beast had Belle scoff in disgust about being mistaken for a princess. The entire premise of the Maleficent movies. Tangled with Flynn's narration and "meta" remark about not singing. The Princess and the Frog making fun of princess culture with Charlotte and dissing the idea of wishing on stars. The list goes on and on, and it really all started with Enchanted. I used to love the movie, but it hasn't aged well for me and I can see why a lot of other Disney fans didn't warm up to it because it really got the ball rolling.

I appreciate your opinion here, but I really just don't see an issue with self referential humor being used in modern Disney films. It doesn't show a lack of respect for the classics. In fact it can be seen as affectionate parody in a lot of cases, such as the princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet.

I don't see WB or MGM attacking the legacy of The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca or Singin' in the Rain in all their latest movies with dig after dig. Gone with the Wind might be deemed problematic now, but even then you don't hear constant reference to it being made fun of. Why is it that every other studio treats their library with respect unlike Disney who seems ashamed of it? I suppose part of the reason is that current management really has nothing to do with making the Disney classics. They aren't their creators, they're just their stewards.
I'm sure if you go back and look at other studios entire catalog you can find "digs" as you call them to their classic films as well.

Also if Disney truly didn't really respect their classics as you claim they wouldn't have references to them all over the company. Its not like they are hiding the fact they created Cinderella, Snow White, or any other classic film. So I think your claim of them being "ashamed" is just a bit overblown.

Disney+ missing most of the classic cartoons or Walt Disney live-action pictures gives a clear indication as to what product Disney doesn't care for.
It has been known since launch that the Disney Vault would be placed on D+. Just because something isn't currently available doesn't mean its never going to the service. There is only one Disney property that will never go to D+, and that is SotS. Everything else will find its way there eventually.

Watch the 85th Anniversary Snow White Blu-Ray that came out exclusively from the DMC. There's a bonus feature on it "celebrating" Snow White's legacy. There are posts all about it on Blu-ray.com and how basically the entire bonus feature was just explaining how Snow White is an old and outdated movie but we shouldn't hate it too much because it gave us the real Disney movies like Frozen and Encanto. I'm surprised that more people on Blu-ray.com felt offended than on an actual Disney forum, but then again the age group there skewers older.
Opinions said on some non-Disney site by a few posters is not indicative of how the company feels or how the entire populous feels. Nor does it indicate that Disney doesn't respect their classics.

Just like here there are many opinions on the internet and really shouldn't be taken seriously.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As a general approach, I prefer Disney to move forward from outdated tropes simply by not using them in their new movies rather than mocking the classics.
And I can appreciate that opinion.

I feel movies like Moana, Coco, Raya and the Last Dragon, Encanto, etc. do a good job of moving the company forward in a more progressive direction without feeling the need to trash the company's legacy.
In my opinion then that shows that Disney isn't just "trashing" their classics in every movie they put out.

There is always going to be a place for self referential humor and parody in Disney movies. It shows that Disney doesn't take it self too seriously all the time. I believe we as a society need to learn to laugh at ourselves more, and that includes things from the past. This is not disrespecting the past, but it is to acknowledge that we as society have moved on and can see how the past through a modern lens can be seen as humorous.

TP2000

Actually I see more of Djali from Hunchback of Notre Dame (in a good way).
hunchback_disney_djali_6292.png

Heck, Valentino is even given the ability to speak, plus I love Alan Tudyk.

Also I love goats!
funny-goat-puts-out-its-tongue.jpg

I miss the Disneyland goats! That is most of the thought I've got for this movie, so far. :)

jeangreyforever

I appreciate your opinion here, but I really just don't see an issue with self referential humor being used in modern Disney films. It doesn't show a lack of respect for the classics. In fact it can be seen as affectionate parody in a lot of cases, such as the princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet.

I'm sure if you go back and look at other studios entire catalog you can find "digs" as you call them to their classic films as well.

Also if Disney truly didn't really respect their classics as you claim they wouldn't have references to them all over the company. Its not like they are hiding the fact they created Cinderella, Snow White, or any other classic film. So I think your claim of them being "ashamed" is just a bit overblown.

It has been known since launch that the Disney Vault would be placed on D+. Just because something isn't currently available doesn't mean its never going to the service. There is only one Disney property that will never go to D+, and that is SotS. Everything else will find its way there eventually.

Opinions said on some non-Disney site by a few posters is not indicative of how the company feels or how the entire populous feels. Nor does it indicate that Disney doesn't respect their classics.

Just like here there are many opinions on the internet and really shouldn't be taken seriously.
I appreciate your opinion as well and I'm enjoying this discussion. I think it just comes down to everyone finding humor to be subjective so something you find to be funny and enjoyable might be something I find to be irreverant and disrespectful. It could be an age or cultural thing as well although I know most of my age group has no issue with the Disney jokes because they think classic Disney is a joke and needs to be critiqued. Can't wait for the day their media darlings get lambasted in the future.

WB's toons used to regularly have parodies of their movies. However, the movies they made fun of were contemporary at the time so Daffy Duck was having a laugh with Robin Hood during the 30s, and not almost a 100 years later. And even while WB would regularly insert caricatures of Humphrey Bogart or Bette Davis, Disney rarely resorted to that with their own shorts. That being said, I don't see Dreamworks animated movies constantly poking fun at Universal classic movies or WB making fun of their noir pictures in a romantic comedy picture. The Moana dig against princesses was completely shoe-horned in for the purpose of making her seem empowered, which is hilarious since right after Disney ended up making her an official Disney Princess after all. Disney only goes the way the money goes. And they're not hiding movies like Cinderella or Snow White but they're certainly apologetic about them as if there's something to apologize for. There's a reason the Lego Snow White cottage set was cancelled and it wasn't due to Lego, because Lego approved it and only needed additional permission from Disney. Disney approved other sets but the Snow White set happened right during the midst of the controversy with the live-action remake so surprise, surprise, it got shot down. I don't think it's a coincidence either that if you look at Snow White products on ShopDisney, even some of the reviews have people stating that you should grab Snow White merchandise now before Disney decides the movie is too problematic to promote anymore thanks to cancel culture. That means there are average Disney consumers feeling this way.

It's been years since Disney+ came out and most of the new content is just their superficial run-of-the-mill Disney+ exclusive movies or shows. The actual Vault Disney content has only been added in trickles. The majority of their legacy content is still not available to stream and even the stuff that is, is very difficult to find. It's been well documented at other places by Disney fans that if you try to look up Donald Duck cartoons, only a scattering show up. Several of the Donald Duck cartoons that are actually on there will not show up just by searching his name. That's just an example but they've really made it as difficult as possible to find and watch even what limited legacy content they do have. So I'm not going to hold my breath on them adding everything to Disney+ because they've made it abundantly clear that's not a priority. That's not even including newer stuff that many people are nostalgic for like the TV shows for Aladdin, Buzz Lightyear, The Legend of Tarzan, etc.

The saddest part is that TCM used to have a Vault Disney day every 3 months but ever since Disney+, they can't even do that anymore.

jeangreyforever

And I can appreciate that opinion.

In my opinion then that shows that Disney isn't just "trashing" their classics in every movie they put out.
Some of those movies mentioned were Pixar movies and thankfully we haven't gotten to the point where even Pixar is dissing Disney. Moana most certainly did though with the princess dig which doesn't even make sense because would Moana, who's never left her island, even know what a princess is with ballgowns and animal friends? It was just a hamfisted attempt for Disney to tell audiences that don't worry, we laugh at ourselves too so you don't have to laugh at us. Disney was never like this until Bob Iger came onboard. They took the wrong lessons from Shrek and decided if other companies are going to profit off of making fun of us, we might as well join in and do it even more.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I appreciate your opinion as well and I'm enjoying this discussion. I think it just comes down to everyone finding humor to be subjective so something you find to be funny and enjoyable might be something I find to be irreverant and disrespectful. It could be an age or cultural thing as well although I know most of my age group has no issue with the Disney jokes because they think classic Disney is a joke and needs to be critiqued. Can't wait for the day their media darlings get lambasted in the future.

WB's toons used to regularly have parodies of their movies. However, the movies they made fun of were contemporary at the time so Daffy Duck was having a laugh with Robin Hood during the 30s, and not almost a 100 years later. And even while WB would regularly insert caricatures of Humphrey Bogart or Bette Davis, Disney rarely resorted to that with their own shorts. That being said, I don't see Dreamworks animated movies constantly poking fun at Universal classic movies or WB making fun of their noir pictures in a romantic comedy picture. The Moana dig against princesses was completely shoe-horned in for the purpose of making her seem empowered, which is hilarious since right after Disney ended up making her an official Disney Princess after all. Disney only goes the way the money goes. And they're not hiding movies like Cinderella or Snow White but they're certainly apologetic about them as if there's something to apologize for. There's a reason the Lego Snow White cottage set was cancelled and it wasn't due to Lego, because Lego approved it and only needed additional permission from Disney. Disney approved other sets but the Snow White set happened right during the midst of the controversy with the live-action remake so surprise, surprise, it got shot down. I don't think it's a coincidence either that if you look at Snow White products on ShopDisney, even some of the reviews have people stating that you should grab Snow White merchandise now before Disney decides the movie is too problematic to promote anymore thanks to cancel culture. That means there are average Disney consumers feeling this way.

It's been years since Disney+ came out and most of the new content is just their superficial run-of-the-mill Disney+ exclusive movies or shows. The actual Vault Disney content has only been added in trickles. The majority of their legacy content is still not available to stream and even the stuff that is, is very difficult to find. It's been well documented at other places by Disney fans that if you try to look up Donald Duck cartoons, only a scattering show up. Several of the Donald Duck cartoons that are actually on there will not show up just by searching his name. That's just an example but they've really made it as difficult as possible to find and watch even what limited legacy content they do have. So I'm not going to hold my breath on them adding everything to Disney+ because they've made it abundantly clear that's not a priority. That's not even including newer stuff that many people are nostalgic for like the TV shows for Aladdin, Buzz Lightyear, The Legend of Tarzan, etc.

The saddest part is that TCM used to have a Vault Disney day every 3 months but ever since Disney+, they can't even do that anymore.
While I appreciate your post, a lot of this is conjuncture on your part.

For example the Snow White Lego project. If its the project I'm thinking of, that came from the Lego's Idea board which is a fan submission board. It was the Lego Review Board that determined not to move forward with it with no reason provided. There was some guesses in the online community that it was Disney who said no, but that is not confirmed. There was even a guess that Disney/Lego was going to put out their own set when the new movie comes out and that is why it wasn't moving forward. Basically there is no specifics to indicate it was Disney who said no, for all we know it was Lego themselves.

As for Disney+, its a business strategy not to dump the entire Disney Vault all at once. The original plan was to release two titles from the Vault every month and at launch that is what happen. However then the Pandemic happened after launch and well that changed everything. Disney is still releasing classic stuff to D+, like for example they recently released the old Zorro series. One other thing to consider is the possibility that the parts of the Vault are tied up in existing contracts which prevents it from being put up on D+. And that Disney is just waiting until the contract expires before it places them on D+. Point is that just because its not there yet doesn't mean it'll never come. And honestly thinking about this from the business side, one way to continue to pump content into D+ without spending more is to get back to the two titles a month Vault releases. Something Iger may consider as he looks at the cost strategy of D+ going forward.

D+ has a terrible search engine, that is not Disney intentionally trying to make it difficult to find classic Donald cartoons, that is just bad design. Its gotten better over time, but still not the best. And something that will continue to improve I'm sure over time.

jeangreyforever

While I appreciate your post, a lot of this is conjuncture on your part.

For example the Snow White Lego project. If its the project I'm thinking of, that came from the Lego's Idea board which is a fan submission board. It was the Lego Review Board that determined not to move forward with it with no reason provided. There was some guesses in the online community that it was Disney who said no, but that is not confirmed. There was even a guess that Disney/Lego was going to put out their own set when the new movie comes out and that is why it wasn't moving forward. Basically there is no specifics to indicate it was Disney who said no, for all we know it was Lego themselves.

As for Disney+, its a business strategy not to dump the entire Disney Vault all at once. The original plan was to release two titles from the Vault every month and at launch that is what happen. However then the Pandemic happened after launch and well that changed everything. Disney is still releasing classic stuff to D+, like for example they recently released the old Zorro series. One other thing to consider is the possibility that the parts of the Vault are tied up in existing contracts which prevents it from being put up on D+. And that Disney is just waiting until the contract expires before it places them on D+. Point is that just because its not there yet doesn't mean it'll never come. And honestly thinking about this from the business side, one way to continue to pump content into D+ without spending more is to get back to the two titles a month Vault releases. Something Iger may consider as he looks at the cost strategy of D+ going forward.

D+ has a terrible search engine, that is not Disney intentionally trying to make it difficult to find classic Donald cartoons, that is just bad design. Its gotten better over time, but still not the best. And something that will continue to improve I'm sure over time.
The Lego Review Board said yes. The project, unlike their other approved projects, was left pending because they needed additional approval. By the time of the next approved projects, they confirmed that it was a no-go for Snow White. Steamboat Mickey, Winnie the Pooh, and Hocus Pocus didn't have these problems. The conjecture was that it was Disney which said no, especially since just a few weeks or a month before this announcement, the live-action remake had a flurry of controversies. Obviously there's no cold hard proof but the writing is on the wall and there's a reason most think it was Disney which said no. Another reason to hate the remake, not even counting every other tone-deaf comment made explaining its premise. The guess about Lego making their own cottage to go with the remake doesn't make sense because Lego has not made any sets based on the live-action remakes at all. If Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan, and soon The Little Mermaid didn't get any live-action Lego sets, why would Snow White suddenly be the first for a movie that is still a way off? Another reason that logic doesn't work is because the Steamboat Willie set was a fan-set which was approved by Lego Ideas and made. After it was confirmed, Lego revealed that they in fact had been working on their own Steamboat Willie set. So even if Lego had plans to make their own Snow White cottage for the remake (which certainly isn't the case but we'll say that for argument's sake), they would have just done with they did with Steamboat Willie and conflate the fan ideas project with their own design. If Lego had wanted to say no, they would have said no from the beginning and not put it into pending status. Another thing to keep in mind is that this wasn't the first time the Snow White cottage was submitted as a Lego ideas project. Many of the projects that become official sets were rejected once or twice before they become approved after another submission. I think this was Snow White's second or third submission...I might be getting it mixed up with Winnie the Pooh which also got rejected the first time around. So I can't imagine why Lego would say no to Snow White once or even twice, and then on the third occasion say yes only to change their minds and say no. They would have just outright rejected it again. The Lego community has said that Disney's deal with Lego gives Disney more influence over what sets get made than other companies, so the writing is on the wall that it was Disney that interfered and said no to Snow White. I guess during the time when even the word "dwarf" was being considered problematic, it wouldn't make sense for Disney to approve of a product that featured the cottage of the dwarfs. That's not even considering the fact that unlike for the previous two anniversaries for Snow White, where there was a surplus of dwarf merchandise, I saw very little this time around. The usual plush toys for each dwarf were missing so I can't help but wonder how much of this has to do with Disney feeling very concerned about dwarf merchandise.

I can't imagine what parts of the Disney Vault are tied up in existing contracts considering it's not like Disney had a reputation for leasing out the licenses for other channels to stream. TCM aside, and even that only in an especial curated format, the Vault Disney titles weren't being shown anywhere. I don't think Disney cares because they know the general public isn't interested in these titles so they aren't lucrative. Look at the recent HBO Max scandal. HBO Max is selling the rights to some of their exclusive shows which weren't racking up in hits. Some of their movie library was untouched with only 5 views in the all the years they were available on streaming, hence the major restructure to HBO's streaming service. Disney won't bother because they don't think their older titles will sell and money is the only thing that concerns them. HBO Max, while not perfect, was much better about including most of the old WB toons, besides the problematic ones they didn't want to promote. Keep in mind Disney is the same company that never released their Disney Treasures set on Blu-Ray.

The fact that Disney+ has a terrible search engine is something they ought to fix though because many Disney fans have complained that they can't find content, including the specific cartoons. They haven't bothered because they know Disney+ is mainly just a babysitting tool for parents and most parents and kids will only be looking up the popular animated movies or something Marvel or Star Wars related. There's no financial reason for them to bother to accommodate searching for an old Goofy cartoon. All they care about is profits and nothing about the legacy of their company which is why they pump money into subpar Disney+ originals instead. Will anyone be looking for Godmothered...I doubt it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Lego Review Board said yes. The project, unlike their other approved projects, was left pending because they needed additional approval.

Again this is a lot of conjecture.

Please provide the official information where they ever said yes it was approved and it was just pending due to additional approval.

I provided this in my last post, but here is the link to the direct site:

And here is what is say:

"Review Results for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Our team has thoroughly considered the possibility of releasing this project as a LEGO set according to the criteria of the LEGO Review. Unfortunately, the LEGO Review Board has decided that we will not produce this project as a set."

Prior to this update in February 2022 the only thing that was done was in April 2021 it went into the review process. This is not an official yes that the project moves forward. Its a review process where Lego considers if they will actually move forward with making the submission an official project, they have a lot of criteria that must be met before its an official yes. Also it should be noted that ANY fan submitted project that gets 10K supporters gets approval to go through a review process, so this isn't something special just for the Snow White project.

I can't imagine what parts of the Disney Vault are tied up in existing contracts considering it's not like Disney had a reputation for leasing out the licenses for other channels to stream. TCM aside, and even that only in an especial curated format, the Vault Disney titles weren't being shown anywhere. I don't think Disney cares because they know the general public isn't interested in these titles so they aren't lucrative. Look at the recent HBO Max scandal. HBO Max is selling the rights to some of their exclusive shows which weren't racking up in hits. Some of their movie library was untouched with only 5 views in the all the years they were available on streaming, hence the major restructure to HBO's streaming service. Disney won't bother because they don't think their older titles will sell and money is the only thing that concerns them. HBO Max, while not perfect, was much better about including most of the old WB toons, besides the problematic ones they didn't want to promote. Keep in mind Disney is the same company that never released their Disney Treasures set on Blu-Ray.

The fact that Disney+ has a terrible search engine is something they ought to fix though because many Disney fans have complained that they can't find content, including the specific cartoons. They haven't bothered because they know Disney+ is mainly just a babysitting tool for parents and most parents and kids will only be looking up the popular animated movies or something Marvel or Star Wars related. There's no financial reason for them to bother to accommodate searching for an old Goofy cartoon. All they care about is profits and nothing about the legacy of their company which is why they pump money into subpar Disney+ originals instead. Will anyone be looking for Godmothered...I doubt it.
As for the rest of your post. While I enjoyed reading it, its again all conjecture. I appreciate your passionate opinions on this subject but there is just a lot of unknowns for which there is really no basis to formulate these opinions. But I get it, lack of evidence is enough for some to formulate an opinion, such is the basis for most of the internet.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You do realize that any movie, specifically an animated movie, takes years to make? WIR2 was greenlighted while Lasseter was in charge. It didn't suddenly get announced and put into production the second he was fired and released after only one full year of work. In fact there are interviews with Lasseter specifically discussing the movie and the princess scene, so clearly he worked on the movie despite your claim here. The lack of any acknowledgement or credit has more to do with the political situation behind him leaving, not because he wasn't actually involved.

Disney was going out of their way to not mention him or his involvement in any of their projects during that time. I specifically remember interviews with Jennifer Lee where she was rivalling politicians in their mastery of how to "answer" a question you don't really want to answer. In any case, if I ever find the article I'll be sure to post it here just for YOU. That being said, your belligerent tone and general hostility doesn't inspire me to put much effort.
So, you still got nothing.

I'm not belligerent. You may not be used to the idea that a sketchy memory may be questioned for its veracity.

Good day.

jeangreyforever

So, you still got nothing.

I'm not belligerent. You may not be used to the idea that a sketchy memory may be questioned for its veracity.

Good day.
Why don't you try finding it since you seem so invested rather than vent on here?

I don't mind you questioning the validity of the statement. I would expect that and even encourage it. I've encountered other users who had a lot more civility in asking for sources on here. It was your tone and abrasive attitude that put me off, as though you were entitled to a source like I'm your personal lapdog and have nothing else better to do than serve you directly. So thanks but no thanks. Even if I did find it at this point, I'd be hard pressed to post it for you.

Have a good day/night as well.

jeangreyforever

Again this is a lot of conjecture.

Please provide the official information where they ever said yes it was approved and it was just pending due to additional approval.

I provided this in my last post, but here is the link to the direct site:

And here is what is say:

"Review Results for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Our team has thoroughly considered the possibility of releasing this project as a LEGO set according to the criteria of the LEGO Review. Unfortunately, the LEGO Review Board has decided that we will not produce this project as a set."

Prior to this update in February 2022 the only thing that was done was in April 2021 it went into the review process. This is not an official yes that the project moves forward. Its a review process where Lego considers if they will actually move forward with making the submission an official project, they have a lot of criteria that must be met before its an official yes. Also it should be noted that ANY fan submitted project that gets 10K supporters gets approval to go through a review process, so this isn't something special just for the Snow White project.

As for the rest of your post. While I enjoyed reading it, its again all conjecture. I appreciate your passionate opinions on this subject but there is just a lot of unknowns for which there is really no basis to formulate these opinions. But I get it, lack of evidence is enough for some to formulate an opinion, such is the basis for most of the internet.
You mistook me. I never said it was approved, although I wish that had been the case. I said the Lego Review Board said yes. As in they didn't say no upfront and selected it from the review process for further inquiry along with 2 other sets. The other 2 sets, not from the Disney brand, were immediately approved. Snow White was selected for needing a further inquest which is what marked it as a special case because that doesn't typically happen as projects tend to either be outright rejected or approved. Yes, every fan submitted project that gets 10K supporters has to go through a review process, I'm well aware of that. But for every 50-60 projects that are selected for each review period, most of them are outright rejected and then 1 or 2 are selected. Snow White was the rare case where it wasn't rejected, but it wasn't 100% approved either hence why they said they needed more time to sort out the kinks. There was no official explanation given but all the Lego Ideas posters were certain that because Snow White is a Disney IP, Lego can say yes but they still need the go-ahead from Disney. Obviously that's just unsubstantiated discourse, but it's an educated guess and more likely than other alternatives presented especially since those in the Lego community are quite learned about the whole process and Lego's rights with IP so I'm inclined to believe them.

So the issue here is that if Lego had qualms about it because they wanted to make their own set, they would have rejected it outright like they generally do for every other set that reaches 10K signatures. There are very few sets that get an official approval, and Snow White would have been crossed off like most of the others but it wasn't automatically rejected. And as I said in my prior post, the other alternatives that were presented don't make sense. Lego hasn't made any sets for the remakes. Even if they were working on their own cottage set, they could have merged it with the fan submission the way they did with Steamboat Willie since this situation actually occurred with that set. Overall, I don't see any reason why Snow White would need to go through an additional vetting process unlike every other set, except that it involved Disney. And considering how much Snow White had been in the headlines for that year before it was officially rejected, between Rachel Zegler's casting being criticized, the dwarf scandal with Peter Dinklage, the Snow White ride refurbishments being attacked for promoting sexual assault, and discussion over whether Snow White should be cancelled or not, my own theory is that Disney decided it was better to not make the set and make more merchandise for a movie that seems so touchy.

This is just my own belief but many others on the Lego Ideas page for the Snow White set have postulated the same thing and as I said in a prior post, even on ShopDisney you have consumers noting their fears that Snow White merchandise might go the way of Song of the South/Splash Mountain and be pulled because a vocal minority is upset. I also remember that when the Snow White set was going through the additional approval process, most of the Lego community was not concerned and didn't think for a second it would be rejected since it hadn't been rejected upfront. And keep in mind that the prior time it did reach 10K votes and was up for approval, it was flat out rejected, hence why it was resubmitted. Everyone assumed Lego just needed Disney's final permission. It was a huge shock that it did end up getting rejected after all that.

That being said, I understand your qualms and why you are more inclined to view the situation in an innocent light. I wish I had your positivity but I lost it long ago when it came to Disney and I can no longer trust them indiscriminately. You're 100% correct that it's all conjecture and I would love to one day hear from an official source on all this drama. I still very much appreciate this discussion with you and your amiable manner and general civility. You seem like a very kind and patient person, so I can understand based on my few interactions with you here why you haven't lost your faith in Disney. Hopefully the rest of us lost souls can one day be more like you again. :)

LittleBuford

I think it has more to do with the fact that we've been getting nothing but self referential humor and mocking and critical commentary about the classics for the past 15 years — both in the animated films and in the live-action remakes.
This isn’t my impression at all. The Disney classics are vaunted by the company at every turn, notwithstanding the occasional bit of self-referential humour. I’m genuinely puzzled by the claim that they are continually mocked and criticised.

brb1006

I'm really looking forward to seeing a walkaround version of Valentino that arrives at the parks in the future. I loved those pajamas he's wearing in some of the concept art.

Magenta Panther

I'm really looking forward to seeing a walkaround version of Valentino that arrives at the parks in the future. I loved those pajamas he's wearing in some of the concept art.
I'm still waiting for the walkaround versions of Dr. Doppler and cyborg Long John Silver from Treasure Planet...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom