Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Frozen II is a continuation of Frozen where Anna already had a love interest. Even then, the focus is not on the love story but on Elsa who remains forever single.
Live-action remakes don't count but the press for the movie is already trying to change the narrative that Ariel's dreams do not revolve around a man and he's more a bonus for her real goal of becoming human. The Snow White remake press is more telling where you have the lead actress outright criticizing the "outdated" prince and saying that there won't really be a love story in the remake, or love won't be a focus.
I don't watch the Marvel shows and I'm not really referencing them since they operate under their own label. You could throw in all the 20th Century movies or The Muppets with Kermit and Miss Piggy as examples then as well, but that's hardly the same.
Turning Red, besides being Pixar which is also separate and never had much of an emphasis on romance, features a little girl. I don't even think she's 13 in the movie and she had a crush but there was hardly a relationship. The crush was also on a guy much older than her, hence her mother's outrage. It's used as a comical storyline to precipitate her transformation into the red panda because of the stress of being embarrassed by her mother. If you call that a relationship, I'm afraid for you.
Yeah, I saw the "no true Disney film" rebuttal coming up 5th Ave.

doctornick

Her criticism of the film is that it is homophobic, not that it has a gay character. I'm not sure what supposedly makes it homophobic, however.
Yeah, I’m perplexed by that as well unless acknowledging that homosexuality was frowned upon in the film’s time period (early 20th century) would be considered homophobic? And having the character be gay actually served a narrative purpose in terms of explaining why Lily and MacGregor were close.

Twilight_Roxas

I wonder if Wish should be simultaneously released in both theaters, and Disney+ not like what they did with Black Widow, Raya, and Shang-Chi.

doctornick

I think Disney has finally learned that that is a losing strategy for making money back on $200 million plus films.
Yeah. In fact, hopefully they have learned that the short windows aren’t doing them any favors. Give it a 90 day window in theaters and then wait a few months before putting it on streaming.

Have Elemental be the “new Disney+ movie that comes out right before Christmas” role while still getting a full fledged period in theaters. Wish shouldn’t drop to streaming until like March or later

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah. In fact, hopefully they have learned that the short windows aren’t doing them any favors. Give it a 90 day window in theaters and then wait a few months before putting it on streaming.

Have Elemental be the “new Disney+ movie that comes out right before Christmas” role while still getting a full fledged period in theaters. Wish shouldn’t drop to streaming until like March or later
I think we'll find out either on the 2/8 earnings call or the 4/3 shareholder meeting on whether they plan to change the theatrical window or not.

I suspect they still plan to send it direct to D+ after the theatrical window, the only question is how long the theatrical window will be. A 90 day for lower budget films and 120+ day for higher budget films would not be surprising.

Ghost93

Not that it matters, but who said anything about Asha being a lesbian? How/why/when/where did that even come up?
I brought it up as a possibility because YouTuber Grace Randolph said the movie would have LGBTQ representation in this video:

Randolph has an inconsistent track record when it comes to reporting scoops, so take what she says with a grain of salt. Also, as many of us have discussed, there is a possibility that the movie was initially supposed to have strong LGBTQ representation but that it may end up getting toned down due to the Lightyear/Strange World controversy. We shall see.

I hope the filmmakers aren't censored in anyway and that their original vision for the film isn't taken away by Bob Iger. But Disney also needs money so I wouldn't be shocked if they backed away from making Asha a lesbian or queer.

DKampy

With regard to all these people talking about agendas Disney has set for Their films… The only agenda is can we tell a story that our audience will find compelling and can turn a profit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom