Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

I didn't hate Wish, but the film getting a Golden Globe nomination for Best Animated Feature over Nimona and TMNT: Mutant Mayhem actually makes me angry. This type of mediocrity shouldn't be acknowledged while two wonderful gems got snubbed.

Mario didn't deserve a nomination either, but I can at least see recognizing that film for its extraordinary box office success.

DKampy

I didn't hate Wish, but the film getting a Golden Globe nomination for Best Animated Feature over Nimona and TMNT: Mutant Mayhem actually makes me angry. This type of mediocrity shouldn't be acknowledged while two wonderful gems got snubbed.

Mario didn't deserve a nomination either, but I can at least see recognizing that film for its extraordinary box office success.
I still watch out of interest… but The golden globes are a bit of a joke… there is usually a few nominations that are questionable… actually this years nominations don’t seem as outlandish… the main movie and Tv nominations seems plausible this year

Heppenheimer

Holy crap, that music is awful. 🤣

And that's who they hired, on purpose, to write the songs to celebrate Disney's 100th Anniversary animated movie?

And they spent $200 Million on that movie? And hired an Autotune-fetishist Disney Channel sitcom composer for the songs?

This is really not adding up. Where did the $200 Million go? And who was in charge of that budget?
To be fair, prior to seeing Little Mermaid for the first time, I wouldn't have expected the composer behind "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space" had something like "Part of Your World" in him. But at least "Mean Green Mother" is a good song. Either I'm just too old and don't get it, or yes, that song was awful. Of all the great tunesmiths Disney could have reached out to for their 100th anniversary film (especially given that Richard Sherman is still alive and working), she was an odd choice.

Animaniac93-98

More people probably heard about or saw Wish because it's a Disney tentpole release. The company likely campaigned harder for the film to be nominated too.

That and Oscar and other awards voters are notorious for not watching animated movies and just picking whatever.

Miss Rori

I think Wish has some beautiful songs. I’m quite disappointed that “This Wish” isn’t likely to enter the Disney playlist given the film’s underperformance; I would have loved to hear it during a fireworks show.
I think that's part of the problem though -- the songs were clearly written to have events like those in mind first, when they should just be a nice bonus.

Miss Rori

More people probably heard about or saw Wish because it's a Disney tentpole release. The company likely campaigned harder for the film to be nominated too.

That and Oscar and other awards voters are notorious for not watching animated movies and just picking whatever.
Yeah, of the six films nominated, none of them are streaming-only titles (if the well-reviewed Chicken Run sequel just about to launch couldn't get a nomination, Nimona had no hope) and Wish kind of feels, in that lineup, like they needed something to fill the category out and it being shiny-new helped. I notice it received no music nominations either.

LittleBuford

I think that's part of the problem though -- the songs were clearly written to have events like those in mind first, when they should just be a nice bonus.
That wasn’t my impression at all. Apart from the duet between Asha and Magnifico, which didn’t quite work, the songs all seemed tonally and narratively very appropriate.

It’s interesting, typical, and telling that this thread has, these past few days, moved into a new “The songs are utter garbage” phase. That certainly wasn’t what was being said a few weeks ago, but now that the film has definitively flopped, the hyperbolic feeding frenzy has started.

Ghost93

Oh that is totally the reason. Many smaller animated movies — including serious movies aimed at adults — have been snubbed in the past simply because they weren't as widely seen by the voters.

Ghost93

That wasn’t my impression at all. Apart from the duet between Asha and Magnifico, which didn’t quite work, the songs all seemed tonally and narratively very appropriate.

It’s interesting, typical, and telling that this thread has, these past few days, moved into a new “The songs are utter garbage” phase. That certainly wasn’t what was being said a few weeks ago, but now that the film has definitively flopped, the hyperbolic feeding frenzy has started.
I agree, "This Wish" feels very organic in the movie.

I think all the songs in Wish are decent, but they have some questionable lyrics. I think the duet between Asha and Magnifico as a song itself — stripped from the context of the movie — sounds the best, but within the film, it doesn't really fit. I am 90% sure it was a love song from an earlier draft of the film, but once they revised the story they were too attached to the song to let it go.

DKampy

It’s probably best to ignore some posters here.. it’s obvious to me there are people here that do not want to have conversations on Disney films in good faith… I see every excuse under the sun why every Studio is better than Disney… it’s clear to me there is an anti- Disney bias here

WorldExplorer

Is there really anything else worth saying about this?

I think right now we're all waiting for it the Disney Plus announcement and seemingly inevitable bombing there.

Then we'll get the comments adding it to the ever-growing pile of "it'll totally be rediscovered and become a money maker years from now" movies.

TP2000

Is there really anything else worth saying about this?

Yes. Wish opened in the SAS countries (family joke meaning the 3 Scandinavian nations) this past weekend. It bombed in those countries too. It also opened last Friday in the Czech Republic, and got in $137,576 in its debut Czech weekend. Bomb? Check!

In math news, Wish finally broke the $100 Million mark at the global box office yesterday. Only $500 Million more to go to break even at the global box office! And Wish opens next weekend in Finland, so let's hope the Finns go to the movies next weekend instead of the fabulous Christmas market in downtown Helsinki.

Here's how Wish looks compared to Elemental and that Trolls movie that came out a few days before Wish.

Wishing For A Marshall Plan To Save It.jpg

TsWade2

I think right now we're all waiting for it the Disney Plus announcement and seemingly inevitable bombing there.

Then we'll get the comments adding it to the ever-growing pile of "it'll totally be rediscovered and become a money maker years from now" movies.
I think it’s going to do better on DisneyPlus anyway.

TP2000

Wouldn't you love to know how people think Wish will be a profit generator years from now, after it lost at least $200 Million for Disney in fiscal year 2024? Where does that mythical future profit come from for a movie that flopped 10 years earlier? Unless tens of millions of people start paying $20 to stream Wish specifically in the 2030's, and Gen Alpha teen girls in the 2030's go in big on Asha clothing for back-to-school 2034, there will be no future profits from Wish.

As it stands now, Wish is operating at a total loss of $248 Million. Judging by its weak box office trajectory, Disney will be lucky to minimize that loss to around $225 Million by the end of its global theatrical run in late January. How do you make up that massive loss in the future?

Wish: Production $200, Marketing $100, Domestic B.O. Take $30, Foreign B.O. Take $22 = $248 Million Loss

Wishing For Better Profits.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom