Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Miss Rori

You know people wait longer than what Disney did for Encanto and Strange World at DisneyPlus. Nice try!🙄
I know Disney intended Wish to have an indefinite theatrical window, but if the numbers badly drop this weekend I don't think they'll be able to keep it in most theaters through Christmas when Wonka and Migration (though they have their own potential drawbacks) are gunning for the same market starting in two weeks. Exhibitors might be happy to move on. I'm remembering how theaters in my area could not drop The Flash soon enough while Elemental and even The Little Mermaid remake were chugging along.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know Disney intended Wish to have an indefinite theatrical window, but if the numbers badly drop this weekend I don't think they'll be able to keep it in most theaters through Christmas when Wonka and Migration (though they have their own potential drawbacks) are gunning for the same market starting in two weeks. Exhibitors might be happy to move on. I'm remembering how theaters in my area could not drop The Flash soon enough while Elemental and even The Little Mermaid remake were chugging along.
There actually isn't a whole lot being released before the end of the year. There is the Beyonce concert movie, Migration, Wonka, Color Purple remake, and Aquaman2. And January doesn't have anything for families opening either.

Anything is possible, but theaters maybe happy to keep Wish playing just to fill out open screens.

TsWade2

There actually isn't a whole lot being released before the end of the year. There is the Beyonce concert movie, Migration, Wonka, Color Purple remake, and Aquaman2. And January doesn't have anything for families opening either.

Anything is possible, but theaters maybe happy to keep Wish playing just to fill out open screens.
Thanks Irish! Those people just don’t know what are they talking about!

Miss Rori

That's a fair point, especially since all of those are question marks right now to varying extents. (Migration apparently doesn't have strong "want to see" vibes around it, but then, that does seem like the kind of movie that relies on walk-ups, not presales. Universal has been pushing it since summer, and unlike Wish the plot is easy to grasp from the trailers.) But the buzz on Wish has been unusually toxic for this sort of film, compared to Elemental, so it may be clinging to screens once Wonka arrives.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's a fair point, especially since all of those are question marks right now to varying extents. (Migration apparently doesn't have strong "want to see" vibes around it, but then, that does seem like the kind of movie that relies on walk-ups, not presales. Universal has been pushing it since summer, and unlike Wish the plot is easy to grasp from the trailers.) But the buzz on Wish has been unusually toxic for this sort of film, compared to Elemental, so it may be clinging to screens once Wonka arrives.
It'll be interesting to see the critic scores on Migration.

Disstevefan1

Well those critics and grifters can kiss my…….you know what! I’m going to see Wish in two days and I don’t want those stupid philistines ruined my excitement. I’m still concern with the box office, I hope it makes good legs in coming weeks. In the meantime, I’m going to see Wish with my best friend in two days and I’m going to enjoy it the best I can.
Wish is a good movie. I think you will like it.

TsWade2

I was watching one of mostly anti Disney YouTubers and apparently there is a tweet out there from a theater operator saying he had multiple families ASKING IF ITS SAFE TO BRING THEIR KIDS TO SEE WISH! Apparently he as never experienced this many questions about a film, so it sounds like is not just one radical family asking.

As we all know Wish is a good movie, it just cost more to make and market than it will bring in.

The elephant in the room is TWDC went from a no brainer, "no worries plop your kids in front if it because its Disney", to, "Is this Disney film safe to show my kids"

Now, we know this is a fraction of the population, but there was a time ZERO families felt this way.

I do blame social media and YouTube for fanning the flames for the clicks and views.
Pay no mind to these losers! They just want Disney to be shut down for the money and their selfish egos.

Beautifully written. I agree that the writing for the king was just all over the place. Is he kind? Funny? Pure evil? Who knows. And I thought his burnt tapestry would have come back in the end, but nope. And yes the too many friends definitely made them not very fleshed out. I really liked the movie but I have a hard time naming any of the characters besides Asha and the goat, Valentino.
THIS. They kept focusing on it, but it didn't come to anything. I thought it would figure into a moment where he realizes that he has become just like the "selfish, greedy thieves" who destroyed his home and family. It's almost as if they were starting out to present an antagonist with sympathetic motives...and decided midway through that they had to make him an irredeemable Disney villain.

_caleb

That is classic business 101 right? Go all in! Risk it all!
No, I don't think it is. But I do think that whatever data Disney has access to must have scared them pretty badly for them to take such a big risk.
Dude, the new Alien film for example got moved from being a Hulu original to theatrical. Opposite of all in.
Do you think they're not allowed to do change course or try different things? What does it cost Disney to release Alien in theaters? I don't think it indicates they're any less committed to streaming.
What unfounded tripe.
Please don't include snarky and dismissive lines like this.

celluloid

Please don't include snarky and dismissive lines like this.

Don't make claims you can't support. I dismiss things that are unfounded.

To answer your question on what it would cost them to move things to theaters:
Marketing. You market differnetly for theaters. If so many have Hulu and subscirptions are good, you would not waste your time on moving something to theaters as that would be the point of your description of Disney going all in to streaming and moving away from theaters. They are finding the opposite. They need theatrical hits.

Changing a film to theaters instead of to streaming, means they are not "all in on streaming" more than other studios. They are still in the theatrical movie business, they have just had a realy bad time lately.

I did not intend for it to strike a nerve so deeply. Tripe is slang for silly or nonsense, which that theory you presented has none as evidence of what is happening is exactly against it.

Last edited:

_caleb

Don't make claims you can't support. I dismiss things that are unfounded.
I've supported all my assertions. You obviously disagree. I'm just asking you do to so agreeably.
To answer your question on what it would cost them to move things to theaters:
Marketing. You market differnetly for theaters. If so many have Hulu and subscirptions are good, you would not waste your time on moving something to theaters as that would be the point of your description of Disney going all in to streaming and moving away from theaters.
I thought the Alien Romulus film (theatrical release) and Ridley Scott's Alien series (on Hulu/FX) were two different things?

Either way, I don't think they have to market differently for theaters than for streaming. Netflix didn't for Glass Onion, and it brought in $15M in its one-week theatrical release before streaming.
Changing a film to theaters instead of to streaming, means they are not "all in on streaming" more than other studios. They are still in the theatrical movie business, they have just had a realy bad time lately.
You're not following what I mean by "all-in on streaming." Of course Disney is still releasing films to theaters. But they've moved pretty aggressively to make streaming the emphasis. All-in means they're looking to it as the main focus of their business going forward, and holding nothing back in the process so they are doing all they can to set themselves up for success in DTC.

I'm not making this up. Iger's been saying this, and reiterated it at last week's internal town hall meeting (from Deadline):

“When we look ahead and we see a business that will primarily be a direct-to-consumer business, we obviously have an eye toward how much content do we need in order to make that a successful business? That obviously leads toward what the pricing model needs to be, and actually how much distribution support we need. I think it’s safe to assume as we ultimately turn this into a streaming business, that we believe that adding more content under economical circumstances might be a wise thing.”

celluloid

“When we look ahead and we see a business that will primarily be a direct-to-consumer business, we obviously have an eye toward how much content do we need in order to make that a successful business? That obviously leads toward what the pricing model needs to be, and actually how much distribution support we need. I think it’s safe to assume as we ultimately turn this into a streaming business, that we believe that adding more content under economical circumstances might be a wise thing.”

Yeah, he also thought 2023 was going to be a fine year and writers and SAG are not reasonable. He says a lot of things. The guy is out in a couple years, don't put too much into what he says when he says "we see."

And no, the Alien film was going to be on Hulu. It got moved to theaters.

Disstevefan1

Too soon?
RIP_wish.jpg

Animaniac93-98

I don't think Wish's failure is a condemnation against original stories.

By design, the movie is very formulaic, stereotypical and self-referential...an intentional celebration of a company's birthday.

In comparison, Elemental was much more original and successful. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Farerb

I don't think Wish's failure is a condemnation against original stories.

By design, the movie is very formulaic, stereotypical and self-referential...an intentional celebration of a company's birthday.

In comparison, Elemental was much more original and successful. I don't think that's a coincidence.
I agree. I see many people accuse people of not supporting Wish as an original work, but calling Wish original is generous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom