Windows talk

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
The Enterprise versions of Windows will never be in the free zone. The free upgrade is for consumers (and businesses running the consumer versions).

There are a lot of unknowns. Pricing, support structure, update frequency are all high on the list. It's looking like 10 may very well be a solid product. Redmond has to make it too good to say no. Corporate America proved that they will ride a horse until it has to be put down with XP. Win7 is a solid product and it only gained a majority due to necessity, but EoL is 2020 and that's five more years of not having to make a decision. Win10 has one advantage in the number of aging boxes that initially had XP.

StarWarsGirl

So is anyone planning on taking the free upgrade offer when Windows 10 is released?

I'm thinking I will give it a "testrun" on my Surface about a month after its release (unless it has extremely poor reviews) then if I like it, load it onto my laptop, and then after I've been using it for a while, put it on the rest of the computers.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I'm already using the Windows 10 Preview. Presently I do not have much use for Windows at home, but I was far happier with the earlier previews of Windows 10 than Windows 8.
I'm on the same boat, my windows usage has been steadily dropping since windows 8 release. That being said, I'm am enjoying my vms of windows 10 and I'll prolly migrate

Jahona

It does have Cortana as of a few builds back. She is interesting to say the least. I'm not sure how useful she is on a desktop or laptop; but having her cross over from the Windows Phone platform to both iOS and Android is a huge boon for Microsoft.

StarWarsGirl

It does have Cortana as of a few builds back. She is interesting to say the least. I'm not sure how useful she is on a desktop or laptop; but having her cross over from the Windows Phone platform to both iOS and Android is a huge boon for Microsoft.
I'd be interested in trying Cortana. I use Siri sometimes on my iPod, mostly to set my alarm. And then I ask her random questions, like "Do you like Star Wars?" (apparently she's never seen it...). I prefer the Google app for searching, though, and general questions.

It would be nice if they could integrate it into Microsoft Word. It would be nice at times for typing long papers. The current voice recognition software on windows pcs is absolute carp.

Jahona

It would be nice if they could integrate it into Microsoft Word.

First thing I thought of when I read this sentence.

clippy-windows-8-10.jpg

wdwstateofmind

So is anyone planning on taking the free upgrade offer when Windows 10 is released?

I'm thinking I will give it a "testrun" on my Surface about a month after its release (unless it has extremely poor reviews) then if I like it, load it onto my laptop, and then after I've been using it for a while, put it on the rest of the computers.
I finally gave into 8.1 and if it's setup correctly it's most definitely more efficient on a newer system than windows 7. It seems like 8.1, Windows 10 is going to make great use of Haswell systems, hyper-threading, etc... That being said, as long as 10 does what it says it does then I'm surely switching over.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We've had computers in our house since 1996, the year after I was born. Never needed to learn how to use a typewriter. I don't even know of anyone who owns one.
I've had computers in my house since the early 80s. I grew up using computers in the mid 80s.

I still knew and learned how to use a typewriter...because printing was expensive for a very long time.

I started my IT career working for AOL in 1996. <wink>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom