Will Universal Keep Using The Simpsons Now That Disney Owns The IP?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I haven’t for years, but I’ll probably get back into it on Disney+.

I'm excited to hear the golden age seasons will be on there - the only time that mattered for this now-sorry show.

The REAL question is.. will Stark Raving Dad & The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson be there.

DanielBB8

From the looks of it, Disney needs the Simpsons to support Disney+. I'm sure Disney won't use the Simpsons to get Marvel theme park rights back anytime soon. In fact, Disney might get Universal to give up on Simpsons on its own. I can imagine in 10 years when the contract is up, Universal Studios Hollywood can expand Harry Potter into Diagon Alley where the Simpsons is at. Or possibly do it sooner in time for the 2028 Olympics. Universal will decide to uncouple their licensing deals with Disney on a case by case basis. Universal has no problem cutting IP from their theme parks at a moment's notice.

socalifornian

From the looks of it, Disney needs the Simpsons to support Disney+. I'm sure Disney won't use the Simpsons to get Marvel theme park rights back anytime soon. In fact, Disney might get Universal to give up on Simpsons on its own. I can imagine in 10 years when the contract is up, Universal Studios Hollywood can expand Harry Potter into Diagon Alley where the Simpsons is at. Or possibly do it sooner in time for the 2028 Olympics. Universal will decide to uncouple their licensing deals with Disney on a case by case basis. Universal has no problem cutting IP from their theme parks at a moment's notice.
Not sure if this is too far removed, but USJ opted to replace Back to the Future with Despicable Me instead of Simpson’s two years ago. I found an article from the same year saying that the show hasn’t done well in Japan either unsurprisingly. I have no idea if contracts were involved with that decision on top of it

DanielBB8

Not sure if this is too far removed, but USJ opted to replace Back to the Future with Despicable Me instead of Simpson’s two years ago. I found an article from the same year saying that the show hasn’t done well in Japan either unsurprisingly. I have no idea if contracts were involved with that decision on top of it
Despicable Me is very popular in Asia so I'm not surprised.

TP2000

I have to believe stuff like The Simpsons and their various Universal Studios rides were part of this legal agreement. Not sure they have a place in the Castle parks, but in DCA, DHS, or Paris Studios they could slot in somewhere. The Simpsons have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, since watching the old (and hilarious) Tracey Ullman Show on Fox back in the 80's.

I wouldn't mind a Simpsons presence in the parks, so long as they spend more money and do it better than Universal has done with them.

Ismael Flores

why are we talking about simpsons in the park when we still haven't got a ride themed to Willow or did Disney not get that when they bought Lucas entertainment?

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

The Simpsons are popular in Europe that Disneyland Paris resort could have a Springfield area along with The Simpsons Ride dub in French, and English.

Darkbeer1

I have to believe stuff like The Simpsons and their various Universal Studios rides were part of this legal agreement. Not sure they have a place in the Castle parks, but in DCA, DHS, or Paris Studios they could slot in somewhere. The Simpsons have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, since watching the old (and hilarious) Tracey Ullman Show on Fox back in the 80's.

I wouldn't mind a Simpsons presence in the parks, so long as they spend more money and do it better than Universal has done with them.

Actually no, Disney just inherited the contracts, which go back decades between pre-Comcast Universal, 20th Century FOX and Matt Groening. While Disney Legal has been looking at the issue for the last year or two, they couldn't act until now. It is one of many problems, like Marvel and DCA, that comes with a merger.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster

yuck! gross!

Darkbeer1

One big factor, with AT&T selling its 9% stake in Hulu (though WarnerMedia will still be a content provider), that leaves Disney (70%) and Comcast-Universal (30%) as the two partners.

So they have to play nice with each other in the overall picture.

Robbiem

The Simpsons are popular in Europe that Disneyland Paris resort could have a Springfield area along with The Simpsons Ride dub in French, and English.

I think this could be a good idea, the simpsons has a lot of visual humour and would lend itself well to a European ride maybe in one of the spare places round wds new lake?

Twilight_Roxas

Although they would have to remove two Universal Studios references like the Back to the Future tribute, and the send money to Universal Studios sign.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom