Will Universal Keep Using The Simpsons Now That Disney Owns The IP?

Minthorne

...and the character designs are intentionally ugly...
How can you say that about Troy Mcclure?!

mickEblu

The Simpsons, in its prime, was a wonderful show. I imagine it's still better than most prime time television, but I haven't watched it in a long time.

But despite being a smart and funny show with some great characters, Matt Groening's Springfield is a dismal, cynical world and the character designs are intentionally ugly. None of this belongs in any current Disney park. Ok, maybe either of the two studio parks...

The Simpsons would fit in beautifully right next to Mission Breakout.

truecoat

For me, I always felt this was supposed to be Doug McClure, an actor I liked as a kid in a show called Search with Burgess Meredith. He was one of 3 rotating spies on this show and you may remember him from movies like Terror in the Sky or Hell Hounds of Alaska.

You may remember Doug McClure from movies like SST: Death Flight or Humanoids from the Deep!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You may remember Doug McClure from movies like SST: Death Flight or Humanoids from the Deep!

He was the mayor in the first couple of seasons of Out of this World. Which funny enough while an NBC show initially it was run on the local Fox channel after NBC moved it to syndication after the first season.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
BTW, to answer the OP. Do we know for a fact its a contract between Uni-Fox and not a contact between Uni-Matt Groening directly. My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that Uni went directly to Groening because Fox initially didn't want to create a Simpson ride/area in Universal Parks.

Anyways, nothing will happen quickly. So Uni will continue to use the characters and sell the merch. And whenever the contract (whomever its with) is up will decide at the time what to do.

The only thing I expect to start happening quickly is that Disney will likely create a Fox brand store to sell Fox merch. So at DLR I would expect to see one in DTD in the next 12-18 months, just my prediction.

FerretAfros

I guess the real question is, does Disney want the Simpsons in a Disney park? They seem very anti-Disney and suited for Universal in the first place.
While I agree the most important question is whether Disney actually wants to use the Simpsons, I think the style of humor is only a secondary concern.

Disney's best themed areas have always transported guests to a unique time and place: the old west, an idealized small-town at the turn-of-the-century, a secret steampunk outpost in a volcanic crater, or even "some nondescript coaster somewhere that's maybe India or something." The Simpsons universe, on the other hand, takes place in a contemporary generic suburban setting that could be nearly anywhere in the country.

It's part of why the show has been a success; it's easy for people to identify and connect with. It's so bland that the show even spent some 25 years making jokes about how nobody knows which Springfield they actually live in. It works great for a TV show than needs to connect with a broad audience, but it's just not a compelling setting to visit in person since it's not terribly different from what most of us live in every day.

The occasionally-questionable humor allows Disney an easy excuse to not have a strong Simpsons presence in the parks, but regardless of that I'm not sure it's a good fit for the type of experiences that Disney creates in its parks. In both cases, it's much better suited to Universal's self-aware approach to the parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom