Will There Every Be a 5th Major Park?

juniorthomas

I think that disney should look into having having their bus systems turned over to bio-diesel hybrids, with solar cells and regenerative braking.

As for a theme, how about Disney's Land of Imagination that focuses on literature, comics and graphic novels. This park will involve disney buying the rights to different franchises.

And yes a country theme is needed again for a 3rd WP.

Buses and monorail are such a hot button issue here. I think anything that moves us away from traditional gas buses is a good thing. Bio-diesel hybrids are a good start. Regenerative breaking is a fantastic idea too.

Why hasn't Disney simply farmed out their bus system to a major car company? Toyota should be all over this.

efudd

The site the Venetian/Mediterranean can still be used for a resort, it just would not be more than 2 or 3 stories tall. Disney would need to erect a caisson around the site, pump out the pond in the center, and deeply excavate the site to pour a stable foundation for the resort. That site is too valuable to not utilize.

Agree with the point that if they wanted to built there , they could find a way.

There's tons of other ways to built on unstable ground that have been developed in the past 30-40 years.

there was a show on cable the other day about this bridge they built in Greece. Big old 3 or 4 span cable stay bridge that crosses like a mile of water that's 200 feet deep in an area prone to earthquakes. In the past they likely would have dug to bedrock for footings- but there was hundreds of feet of sand in the sea floor- so that's why they never built a bridge prior. So they came up with a system where the bridge towers just sit on the sea floor on top of a layer of stone that is poured over pilings. The bridge towers are literally meant to slide around if there is an earthquake.

Not at all relevent to building a resort- but point is if they want to do something there then engineers can figure out a way. They would have to look at the cost and decide if it's worth it or not. So far apparently it hasn't been worth it- but one day it may be.

efudd

The whole sites (park, parking, infrastructure, buffer zone) for the TL and BB maybe 61 and 66 acres, the actual parks are much smaller.

40711288.png

Each block is 40,000 sq feet, so BB is less than 25 acres, so it is about 23 acres.

DI would be too small for a paid WP. Really it should be reopened as what it was before.

reopened as before? Then there would be even less reason to bother with animal kingdom.

(just kidding... mostly)

efudd

Buses and monorail are such a hot button issue here. I think anything that moves us away from traditional gas buses is a good thing. Bio-diesel hybrids are a good start. Regenerative breaking is a fantastic idea too.

Why hasn't Disney simply farmed out their bus system to a major car company? Toyota should be all over this.

I've thought the same thing too- you think Siemens or GE or someone would sponsor 100 hybrid or diesel electric buses to show off or something.

I remembering being shocked when the last set of new buses started showing up and they weren't anything but plain old diesel.

even a fleet of compressed natural gas would have been an 'upgrade'.

flavious27

Well Volvo and Mitsubishi Fuso both build a bio-diesel hybrid bus. I wonder what the savings will be because it was estimated that lynx would save 800k gallons when it switched to bio while these hybrids use 30 - 35% less fuel. The mitsu bus uses a series hybrid, so the solar cells and regenerative breaking would fit into that system better. If dinsey changed over its 300 buses to this new tech, it could make it an industry wide standard and bring down prices.

flavious27

Agree with the point that if they wanted to built there , they could find a way.

There's tons of other ways to built on unstable ground that have been developed in the past 30-40 years.

there was a show on cable the other day about this bridge they built in Greece. Big old 3 or 4 span cable stay bridge that crosses like a mile of water that's 200 feet deep in an area prone to earthquakes. In the past they likely would have dug to bedrock for footings- but there was hundreds of feet of sand in the sea floor- so that's why they never built a bridge prior. So they came up with a system where the bridge towers just sit on the sea floor on top of a layer of stone that is poured over pilings. The bridge towers are literally meant to slide around if there is an earthquake.

Not at all relevent to building a resort- but point is if they want to do something there then engineers can figure out a way. They would have to look at the cost and decide if it's worth it or not. So far apparently it hasn't been worth it- but one day it may be.

There are new ways that they could approach this besides the brute force method I suggested. Look at what they did to make the tree of life, disney gets innovate to get a project made.

flavious27

reopened as before? Then there would be even less reason to bother with animal kingdom.

(just kidding... mostly)

dak can have rides that scare animals because the animals can be shipped to di, or di can be made into the dark kingdom concept.

flavious27

I've thought the same thing too- you think Siemens or GE or someone would sponsor 100 hybrid or diesel electric buses to show off or something.

I remembering being shocked when the last set of new buses started showing up and they weren't anything but plain old diesel.

even a fleet of compressed natural gas would have been an 'upgrade'.

true, yes these companies sponsor their pavilion but isn't Innoventions and epcot in general where we should see this next gen tech that will make our lives better.

juniorthomas

Well Volvo and Mitsubishi Fuso both build a bio-diesel hybrid bus. I wonder what the savings will be because it was estimated that lynx would save 800k gallons when it switched to bio while these hybrids use 30 - 35% less fuel. The mitsu bus uses a series hybrid, so the solar cells and regenerative breaking would fit into that system better. If dinsey changed over its 300 buses to this new tech, it could make it an industry wide standard and bring down prices.

The question is if Disney corporate wants to put out more money now (likely a lot more) to save money in the future. I for one wouldn't mind if they did.

flavious27

The question is if Disney corporate wants to put out more money now (likely a lot more) to save money in the future. I for one wouldn't mind if they did.

Well it is 300 times whatever the price is, I was looking for the cost of the Volvo 7700 Hybrid but couldn't find it. If the buses get the 35% savings in fuel, the buses pay for themselves after 5 or 7 years. Also volvo may reduce the price they have charged in the past because disney's order will be more than what they have produced so far (about 200+ buses) and show off the technology to the 40+ million annual guests.

Future of Disney Transportation?

6595_DSC01682.jpg

juniorthomas

Well it is 300 times whatever the price is, I was looking for the cost of the Volvo 7700 Hybrid but couldn't find it. If the buses get the 35% savings in fuel, the buses pay for themselves after 5 or 7 years. Also volvo may reduce the price they have charged in the past because disney's order will be more than what they have produced so far (about 200+ buses) and show off the technology to the 40+ million annual guests.

6595_DSC01682.jpg

I'm - wait for it - on board.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

6595_DSC01682.jpg

I think Disney would be a great place to show off new technology, but I think that Disney would have to get some type of deal from sponsor.

A lot of times it is not as easy as saying what the cost savings is due to reduction of fuel. There are many other items that go into the true cost savings like:
1: increase cost of the buses when purchased (usally much higher)
2: maintenance cost over the life of the buses
3: additional maintenance equipment needed to service the buses
4: training of staff to do the maintenance on the buses
5: cost of maintenance and replacement of batteries

These items can easily eat into any savings and the sponser could pay or share in some of these cost.

RSoxNo1

I can see Disney switching to a more eco friendly option when the busses need to be replaced. Until then it's probably not worth it.

DocMcHulk

Disney Islands of Adventure. THERE, now stop complaining about Disney not having a 5th gate for adults. ;) (please note the sarcasm)

flavious27

I think Disney would be a great place to show off new technology, but I think that Disney would have to get some type of deal from sponsor.

A lot of times it is not as easy as saying what the cost savings is due to reduction of fuel. There are many other items that go into the true cost savings like:
1: increase cost of the buses when purchased (usally much higher)
2: maintenance cost over the life of the buses
3: additional maintenance equipment needed to service the buses
4: training of staff to do the maintenance on the buses
5: cost of maintenance and replacement of batteries

These items can easily eat into any savings and the sponser could pay or share in some of these cost.

True, I am sure that disney could have volvo sponsor some of the buses while working out deals for a reduced cost if disney replaces all of their fleet over a certain time frame.

I think that the biggest cost for maintenance will be with the batteries, disney buses average 52k miles a year so any bus battery would need to last during a normal life cycle of a disney bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom