Will There Every Be a 5th Major Park?

juniorthomas

I couldn't see them moving tsm, the expense and inconvenience would be too great.

Agreed. And what would they replace it with anyway? A 10 minute visit with a formerly popular and now syndicated nighttime game show?

TSM stays put. No way a Pixar land shows up. They'd sooner expand Pixar place.

juniorthomas

I want everyone to know that I talked to a Disney Bus Driver today and he said a new park is on the way opening in 2019. What luck that I stumbled across this information.

Disney Bus Drivers: the source of the most reliable information.

Bus driver was wrong. If they were opening a new park in 2019, they'd have mentioned it last year. It takes intense planning and preparation to build parks. It takes money to plan and prepare properly. You cant just spend money without shareholders taking notice.

In short, if there was a new park coming, we'd know about it.

Disday

I don't know about that. They had already broken ground on Animal Kingdom before they ever made an official announcement. Disney likes their secrets. They especially like to keep big spending from conservative Wall Street types. While I don't believe Disney bus drivers, I do believe we'll see a 5th park by 2018.:)

flavious27

Agreed. And what would they replace it with anyway? A 10 minute visit with a formerly popular and now syndicated nighttime game show?

TSM stays put. No way a Pixar land shows up. They'd sooner expand Pixar place.

Wait, they could place a render farm and some workstations for pixar in there.

juniorthomas

I don't know about that. They had already broken ground on Animal Kingdom before they ever made an official announcement. Disney likes their secrets. They especially like to keep big spending from conservative Wall Street types. While I don't believe Disney bus drivers, I do believe we'll see a 5th park by 2018.:)

If that does happen, I'll be all for it.

RunnerEd

I look at Google Earth fairly often because of my job in Emergency/Security Management and sometimes, I stray to WDW just to dream a little bit about my upcoming trip (I always have an upcoming trip, whether it's booked or not). From the satelite views it looks like there is a TON of land that could be used for another park but I know that some of it is unsuitable for environmental reasons and wetlands and such. Where would a realistic, good location be for a 5th gate?

Chevross

I look at Google Earth fairly often because of my job in Emergency/Security Management and sometimes, I stray to WDW just to dream a little bit about my upcoming trip (I always have an upcoming trip, whether it's booked or not). From the satelite views it looks like there is a TON of land that could be used for another park but I know that some of it is unsuitable for environmental reasons and wetlands and such. Where would a realistic, good location be for a 5th gate?

Probably beside the Walt Disney World Speedway across World Drive and next to the Campgrounds. That seems to be the largest plot of usable land.

Chevross

What about more in-park expansion?

I wouldn't mind seeing an expanded DHS or a plussed out World Showcase before seeing a 5th gate.

The four parks have a good amount of land to expand on, the only exception could possibly be DHS because it is kinda in a corner. Expansion could take place over World Drive though.

I would rather see the four parks improved a lot more than their current state before a fifth gate.

RSoxNo1

Even after the Fantasyland Expansion each of the parks could use substantial additions. Building off the infrastructure of the existing parks is likely a better investment at this point.

The other option would be to do both: Add a 5th park, and expand the existing parks. This was done in 1988-1989 when MGM Studios opened. Mickey's Birthdayland, Norway, and The Wonders of Life all opened around the same time as MGM Studios. As a result, the other parks didn't take the same hit that they all took 9 years later when the Animal Kingdom opened.

Disney has made mistakes in the past, and has seemingly "learned" from these mistakes, but it doesn't necessarily mean they've acted on what they've learned. The reason for Disney to add a 5th park would be to lengthen the family vacation.

However, due to a lack of significant investment in the Animal Kingdom since the beginning as well as a lack of other additions around the other 3 parks has resulted in the Animal Kingdom not lengthening vacations.

Disday

Disney more than has enough money to both expand all four parks and build a major 5th park. People on the boards often think it's an either or situation. Just look at Toy Story 3, I've read that when worldwide box office and merchandise are added in, this one film will rake in $10 billion. They don't have any excuses to say the money isn't there. :)

Marion

Randy, I am almost 63 years old and cannot wait 25 years. I keep wishing for a new park before I am too old to ride. Right now I still enjoying TOT, splash mountain, TMR, and others. I am getting up my nerve to try EE. So, I need another park before I am ancient.

beyondyou

Disney more than has enough money to both expand all four parks and build a major 5th park. People on the boards often think it's an either or situation. Just look at Toy Story 3, I've read that when worldwide box office and merchandise are added in, this one film will rake in $10 billion. They don't have any excuses to say the money isn't there. :)

Yes, but you forget that not all of that money goes straight to the parks. Disney is a worldwide company with many other elements to spend money on rather than just parks. There is always a budget for everything. Now, i would love if Disney would pump more money into the parks juts as much as the next person, but i trust that they are doing the best thing for the whole company in the long run

AEfx

I'm sure Martin or someone with more technical knowledge could tell you, but I believe there is space for at least two more parks should they choose to make them. I believe one plot is close to the MK - not sure about the other.

flavious27

going by the map that rcid posted, there isn't a large enough area to accommodate a park larger than 50 acres.

cheezbat

going by the map that rcid posted, there isn't a large enough area to accommodate a park larger than 50 acres.

I totally don't believe that...Walt Disney World is MASSIVE...and while there are areas that cannot be used, I'm sure there are many plots of land over 100 acres or so throughout the resort. I once remember somebody telling me that Disney could easily build another 5-7 parks on property, as well as dozens of more hotels/resorts.

Disday

I've always thought they had room for at least 7 parks. However, in a 2009 Reedy Creek report they outlined possible development for the next 10 years. This included a 5th major park, 2 minor parks, and thousands of new hotel rooms. They describes minor parks as water parks, etc. Anyway, the Sentinel said that if they do develop that much that there wouldn't be much room for more development. They said there would be plenty of expansion room at existing parks, though. However, Disney can be creative when it comes to expansion - like DCA in a parking lot. I once read Kevin Yee talking about how they might be considering the Magic Kingdom parking lot as a future park site. They would build a big, layered parking structure. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom