Will Space Mountain ever get some much needed love?

BryceM

Original Poster
Space Mountain is by far my favorite ride in Magic Kingdom, my first roller coaster and actually one of my favorite rides anywhere. I'm just concerned about it because of how rough and dated it is. I'm not usually one to complain about these types of things, but I think it really needs a major refurbishment. I know it was closed for a few years ago and some things were fixed or touched up on, but the track needs some major work.

Other parts are extremely old/dated as well, such as the lift-hill, the exit area, parts of the queue. A lot of the ride just looked completely worn. I mean, a lot has been un-touched since the 70's. My main concern, however, is the track. Last time I rode it felt like an old wooden roller coaster. I understand that this adds to the fun, but it actually gave me a minor headache because of how old the track was. Anyways, do you think our Space Mountain will get a re-working like Disneyland's Space Mountain did? Surely someone must notice the shape that this attraction is in... :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I did not know that... How disappointing... :(
Without digging up painful memories, the whole attraction would have been upgraded. Same layout, new smooth track, new cars, on board audio, cutting edge visuals, silent lifts....

Next time you ride the Peoplemover and the Mountains lights are on, look at the support beams. You can still see all the coloured spray paint lines they painted in preparation where they were going to cut through the 1975 track supports to remove it all.

erasure fan1

The refresh they did was among the most disappointing of any I have seen. It could have been something special but once again the bean counters won. I really do hope that something happens with a complete overhaul and they return space to former glory. Sadly, I don't think it will for a very, very, very long time.

BryceM

Original Poster
Without digging up painful memories, the whole attraction would have been upgraded. Same layout, new smooth track, new cars, on board audio, cutting edge visuals, silent lifts....

Next time you ride the Peoplemover and the Mountains lights are on, look at the support beams. You can still see all the coloured spray paint lines they painted in preparation where they were going to cut through the 1975 track supports to remove it all.
Oh, is that what the yellow markers on the supports are? I've always wondered. I really hope these plans surface again...

copcarguyp71

The one thing I want back is the glow in the dark sides to the cars.

YES>>>THIS^^^^^^^ There is really little point of the windows on TTA where you look into the mountain without that effect. I miss it and do not understand what the point was in removing it. It was always fun when riding SM to look around and see the other rockets zooming around in the dark :(

coasterj

I miss those glow sides too!!!
It amazes me how things like Avatar can continue to be developed instead of improving a signature park icon since the beginning of the property. It's just sad, I don't like the idea of avatar but I acknowledge others do but to give this project money and not give space mountain the love it deserves is just disappointing to me

luv

I'm fine with the ride itself, but the queue! Oh, my God! That queue area is old, run-down, dirty and frequently littered with trash, especially behind the wall when you go to ride the one on the left.

Last time I stood in line, I was totally grossed out. It was like a 2nd rate amusement park. Streaks of pop and dirt running down the wall. Even the floor was sticky.

Four billion spent on Star Wars, but they can't keep the queue areas clean.

FettFan

I'd like to see it refurbed to have that unsettling "deep space" feel, like 2001: A Space Odyssey or Moon.

And if you have never seen Moon, I suggest you do so now.
12668_moon.jpg

menamechris

It really is amazing that Space Mountain went down for a refurb just a few years ago. It seems to only get rougher at time goes on, and I honestly don't know how more people aren't getting hurt the way it jerks around on the track.

dkaudio

Space Mountain is by far my favorite ride in Magic Kingdom, my first roller coaster and actually one of my favorite rides anywhere. I'm just concerned about it because of how rough and dated it is. I'm not usually one to complain about these types of things, but I think it really needs a major refurbishment. I know it was closed for a few years ago and some things were fixed or touched up on, but the track needs some major work.

Other parts are extremely old/dated as well, such as the lift-hill, the exit area, parts of the queue. A lot of the ride just looked completely worn. I mean, a lot has been un-touched since the 70's. My main concern, however, is the track. Last time I rode it felt like an old wooden roller coaster. I understand that this adds to the fun, but it actually gave me a minor headache because of how old the track was. Anyways, do you think our Space Mountain will get a re-working like Disneyland's Space Mountain did? Surely someone must notice the shape that this attraction is in... :(
Yea we rode it back to back last November and it did give three of us small headaches for sure.

cheezbat

Yes. I am 6'3'' and while I still enjoy the ride, I don't enjoy sitting with my knees up to my face.
I know, right? I'm 6'2" and I really have to cram in there. It really is uncomfortable. I never had that problem at Disneyland. I honestly think its about time for new Coaster Cars.

copcarguyp71

It seemed to me that the very rear most seat really beats the heck out of you! Front car and the second two seats in the second car are not all that bad but that last seat is a killer. I also am surprised there are not any neck injuries from the ride.

All that said I still have a blast on it and will definitely continue to ride like a pyromaniac that keeps getting burnt!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom