Will Soarin' Over California ever return?

mickEblu

I think this is an easy solve. You just create a FP queue outside that mirrors the outdoor standby queue on the opposite side adjacent to Smokejumpers Grill. Each outdoor queue now has a line A and a line B. FP feeds inside the building first, followed by standby. Voila!

So FP would serve both versions? I don’t seem them doing that but I guess it could work. 👍🏻

PiratesMansion

Hopefully soon. Last time I forgot about the switch until I was getting ready to go into the theater. When Patrick Warburton said "Welcome to Soarin'" my heart sank and I remembered :(

Soarin' over California was something I'd always ride several times over a trip; Soarin' over the World has gotten exactly one courtesy ride each trip and may not even get that for my next one.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Not really... the big difference is that, on Space Mountain, if they don't 100% set the effects properly you don't have people getting motion sickness and throwing up everywhere. :)

I'd imagine they'd just switch out the film and change the ride profile, unless there's something more like keystone correction. I'm not sure how Soarin works

180º

I'd imagine they'd just switch out the film and change the ride profile, unless there's something more like keystone correction. I'm not sure how Soarin works
I think the biggest thing preventing the change from being as simple as flipping a switch would be the scents. I believe they have to stock those ahead of time, and if I remember correctly, near the end of the California film’s life, the show ran without scents in anticipation of the changeover.

truecoat

I rode it a couple times last weekend and since we were stuck to the outside both times before, I asked if we could be more in the middle. The cm looked at the row she assigned us and said you are in the middle...of the row which is not what I meant.

Rich T

Not really... the big difference is that, on Space Mountain, if they don't 100% set the effects properly you don't have people getting motion sickness and throwing up everywhere. :)
They should do a special version of Soarin' called "Turbulence" and have the seat motion and film deliberately totally out of sync. Promote it as a ride guaranteed to cause motion sickness, call it "Only for the strong of stomach" and see how many people actually line up to try it. :D

Rich T

Really hoping they film a new California film one day... Keep/reshoot some of the older scenes (mainly Malibu and the orange groves) and find some new locations to feature!
I really think 99% of DCA guests would be happy just to have the original back. It was near-perfect, and certainly had no problem as a crowd draw.

bluerhythym

I really think 99% of DCA guests would be happy just to have the original back. It was near-perfect, and certainly had no problem as a crowd draw.

I'd like that too, but wasn't the original film shot at a lot lower quality than the new one? I think that's the only reason Disney wouldn't bring it back.

TwilightZone

I'd like that too, but wasn't the original film shot at a lot lower quality than the new one? I think that's the only reason Disney wouldn't bring it back.
That and a lot of the landmarks in the film have changed a lot due to global warming, which makes the entire film a lot more awkward. Plus the disneyland scene has a lot of visible attractions that no longer exist.

TwilightZone

I think the biggest thing preventing the change from being as simple as flipping a switch would be the scents. I believe they have to stock those ahead of time, and if I remember correctly, near the end of the California film’s life, the show ran without scents in anticipation of the changeover.
The final time I rode the lack of oranges contributed to my sadness.
I am still optimistic about soarin over the world when I go. I think cgi and angle problems won't bother me too much like it is for other people. Maybe it's the same way for the average guest, they don't care about cgi and angle issues, it's a fun ride.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Oh yeah that’s right! SoC just wasn’t the same without the scents. The orange and pine was amazing.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The final time I rode the lack of oranges contributed to my sadness.
I am still optimistic about soarin over the world when I go. I think cgi and angle problems won't bother me too much like it is for other people. Maybe it's the same way for the average guest, they don't care about cgi and angle issues, it's a fun ride.

You haven’t done around the world yet? Have you seen any of the videos about it?

Rich T

That and a lot of the landmarks in the film have changed a lot due to global warming, which makes the entire film a lot more awkward. Plus the disneyland scene has a lot of visible attractions that no longer exist.
But, really, not to the point where any average rider would notice or care. The film can exist happily as a timeless work of art. The film is set in 2001, and I don't think anyone minds that. And image quality never bothered me aside from typical analog projection issues.

TwilightZone

You haven’t done around the world yet? Have you seen any of the videos about it?
I don't want to spoil the ride for me and I also know that watching a video of the ride is not the same as experiencing it. (Six flags retaught me that lesson)
I might go to disney again this fall, so I will experience it then.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

The quality of the original film was very good when it was still being shown on film. When the theaters switched to digital projectors the ride film was also transferred to a Digital format. Unfortunately this made the image quality softer.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

What landmarks have noticeably changed? Did the river dry up?

What Disneyland attractions have closed that you can see in the film? Rocket Rods?

TwilightZone

What landmarks have noticeably changed? Did the river dry up?

What Disneyland attractions have closed that you can see in the film? Rocket Rods?
One of the mountains, for example, is shown with a lot of snow on it, these days it is rare to find snow on it at all. One of the rivers did dry up, but it's back to a healthy state. There used to be a then and now comparison of the locations that changed the most, but I can't seem to find it now.
While no attractions are that clear, it is showing a Christmas time event and fireworks show that has since been redone. For example, in the film you just see a christmas tree, these days the whole park would be redone for christmas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom