Will SGE be handicap accessible??

Dayma

Why jump in front of the line? Its comfortable to sit down instead of standing :) ...OK bad joke..

Why do wheel chair people get to go up front? I dont understand why this is different than anyone else. I can see if you have problems being in the sun too long though.....

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by blackride
Why jump in front of the line? Its comfortable to sit down instead of standing :) ...OK bad joke..

Why do wheel chair people get to go up front? I dont understand why this is different than anyone else. I can see if you have problems being in the sun too long though.....

I think it's because, there are people like that..and Disney just wants to get them out of the way faster, so people don't trip on the wheel chairs, or start to hit the poles, etc. Also for guests who don't cheat the system...a way of courtesy maybe..

;)

abe

If I am not mistaken it's because the wheelchair/ecv will not be able to make it thru the queue. Too narrow, sharp corners ,etc.
Last time I was at MK, I rode Jungle Cruise for the first time. On my previous trips you had to get out of the w/c. (Not anmore. Thanks Disney for making the change.) Even tho I got to bypass the line, Im sure I waited as long as anyone else. There is only 1 boat and 1 w/c locatio on that boat that is accesible to w/c bound guests. There were 2 W/C's already waiting when I got there. Hey but to me the wait was worth it. Most of the newer or rehabed attractions have queues that are fully wheelchair accessable. So there is becoming less attractions where going ahead of te line occurs. This might sound strange to some, but some of the attractions have themeing in the queue. Ive went thru some queues knowing I couldnt ride the ride at the end just to enjoy the theming. ToT for example.

barnum42

Originally posted by blackride
Wheelchair users do not get to jump all the queues.

I do not have a wheelchair, but my mother does and I was the power source for the chair.

The majority of attractions will have wheelchair users in the same line as able bodied guests.

Very few attractions let wheelchair users "jump queue " or “part of the queue” - Splash Mountain where you leave the exterior queue at the foot of the steps and head through the exit area to off loading bay. Yes it's a few minutes quicker, but nothing dramatic.
Great Movie Ride – when you reach the cinema area of the queue you go to the front. If there is wheelchair room on the next vehicle it’s yours. If not you wait.
Big Thunder Mountain is the only one that gives a true queue jump where you go straight in through the exit door.

Rides that have exclusive Wheelchair loading areas - Kilimanjaro Safari - you queue in the same line as everyone else, but just before the main load bay you go straight ahead where there is a load bay devoted to wheelchairs. Here users can transefer at ease without holding up everyone else. The bay can also allow a single wheelchiar user who is unable to transfer to board the ride in their chair. However there are not many of the disabled vehicles so you can have a long wait for the next one to arrive.

The Jungle Cruise in Magic Kingdom has a similar setup where wheelchair users queue to the left of the regular queue. Again you can wait longer here for the special boat to arrive.

Some other examples –
Pirates: You go through the same queue and load at the same bay, putting the wheelchair in the back seat. When you get off there is a service elevator you use instead of the moving gangplank.
Buzz Lightyear: You wait in the same queue area, but when you get to the loading bay you have to go through a corridor to the exit bay. It is here that you board.
The Fantasyland dark rides – Wait in the same queue and board at the same place.
Space Ship Earth – You do not wait in the same queue, you go to what was “Global Neighbourhood” and wait there. When a number of parties are present they are lead up the exit ramp to board.
As mentioned before – Alien Encounter had you in the same line. In the theatre there were a couple of stations adapted for wheelchairs.
Animation tour at MGM. You queue with everyone else, but as this attraction has a small wheelchair capacity you end up waiting longer as by the time you get to the front of the queue you are told that all wheelchair places are taken up for that show.
The Haunted Mansion. You wait by the hearse outside. A CM will then collect you. If you can stand for the stretch rooms you are taken through a side door to the stretch room from which point you wait with everyone else. If you can’t stand for this period of time then the CM will lead you straight to the offload bay where you board, but it means you miss the Stretch Rooms.
All the 3D films – wait in the same queue. There is a door at the rear of each theatre for wheelchair parties to enter where there are gaps in the seating to park the chairs.

All the live & Audio Animatronics shows – No queue jumping again and there are bays for the chairs. Sometimes at the front, sometimes at the back.

Generally speaking, all the other attractions have wheelchair users treated the same as able-bodied guests.

There are special guide books available from Guest Relations that detail accessibility to all the attraction – how you board, whether you can stay in your chair or whether you have to transfer from a scooter.

STGRhost

And a lot of people cheat using Wheel-chairs...

... I have...

You are so...

.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, unless it was 10 years ago, I doubt it did you much good. barnum42 explained why, in detail (very nice, by the way).

I dealt with this situation all the time in GR. It seems like the people who truely need accomodations are the ones who least expect us to go out of our way. When I had to explain to a woman that all I could offer her was a pass that would allow her to use her child's stroller as a wheelchair, she started crying (!) and told me all they wanted was to be able to do "the same thing as everyone else". It was so sweet... (I managed to "find" a couple extra FPs for her;) ) On the other hand, I had a number of people yell at me when I offered them a Shaded Wait Area, because the only "acceptable" pass would allow them to go to the front of the line for everything. Their daughter had a "sore leg", and couldn't stand in the sun (the hell?).

Something to consider, though - MANY people with dissabilities are not obviously sick. My sister has Lupus, and though she has good days and bad days, it's easier and safer for her to stay out of the sun (or other weather, like rain or cold). She asks for a pass to be able to wait somehwere away from the queues in the elements, and Disney has always come through with her. Other guests, though, can be a$$holes because she doesn't "look" sick. (She gets the same looks and comments when she uses her handicapped parking pass, which she has legally.)

phlydude

Those that are truly disabled are the ones who don't mind waiting with the rest of us unless they have a condition where waiting would adversely affect them. I have worked with many disabled people over the past 10 years and for them to be treated with special attention appalled them.

Those who want to get to the front of the lines are the ones who fuss and complain, makes you wonder about their situation and if they really need the chair.

tj229er

Original Poster
Ok this question can be answered now with a real offical answer. How is SGE in regards to handicap accesability.

barnum42

tj229er said:
Ok this question can be answered now with a real offical answer. How is SGE in regards to handicap accesability.
As it's the same theatre as Alien Encounter, with the same seats, I think it's safe to assume it has the same bays that my mother used to watch Alien Encounter from her wheelchair.

DarkMeasures

DarkMeasures said:
And a lot of people cheat using Wheel-chairs...

... I have...

Well... actually I lied about that. The only time we ever used wheelchairs is because my mom has bad knees so we used to need to rent them so so would not need to walk. It was a very good deal though considering that we got to skip half the lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom