Will SGE be handicap accessible??

ToTBellHop

blasting a wheelchair from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds and sending it upside down sounds very dangerous to me. All posted signs on these attractions have the little wheelchair icon and say "Must transfer". You must be able to get out of your wheelchair and walk 2 feet and hop in. These thrill rides are not designed to be ridden by anyone who cannot get out of their wheelchair, and I have never heard of putting a wheelchair on a roller coaster. I couldn't even imagine the harnassing system required...absolutely impossible, especially with an OTS restraint.

Invero

If I'm not mistaken, the "door" on the Rock 'n Rollercoaster, is to provide easier access to those needing to transfer from a wheelchair onto the ride.

DarkMeasures

Ahhh... similiar to what I thought. I just wasn't sure if the wheelchair would fit in or the guest would transfer.

But, it could be done.....

Be then I realise that I am an idiot.

But it's very similiar. Just involves which chair the guest sits in.

barnum42

It does not do loops, but the safari ride is pretty bumpy Anyone who can't transfer from their chair can still ride it - they have a spot at the front where the chair can be tied down to keep it secure over the potholes.

se8472

Originally posted by Bill
Doesn't make sense to me... otherwise you'd be able to take your wheelchair on the Rock 'n' RollerCoaster.:lol:

Like everyone is saying, the rides need to be designed as much as possible so people can enter easly. Rock n is new enought so that it can comply with the law. Other rides such as Space Mountain had to have its que re-done to take out the steps so wheelchair parties could get in.

Belive me it is law that the company needs to try and go out of its way to make sure that every new ride has wheelchair accessibility. That is way such rides and Buzz has one of its pods designed so that someone in a wheelchair and roll right in. You will also notice that there are no steps inside the que. Not that the ride really needs one but none the less it is there.

Now if Disney does this just to make sure that every guest has the ability to ride as many things as they want. Not just comply with the law.

phlydude

Originally posted by Bill
Doesn't make sense to me... otherwise you'd be able to take your wheelchair on the Rock 'n' RollerCoaster.:lol:

I don't know that it applies to moving vehicles but I do believe any new structure past 1996 and any theatre like setting (refurbishments count!) done past 1996 as well needed to have access for wheelchairs. Since AE did not move, it was considered a theathre.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by phlydude
I don't know that it applies to moving vehicles but I do believe any new structure past 1996 and any theatre like setting (refurbishments count!) done past 1996 as well needed to have access for wheelchairs. Since AE did not move, it was considered a theathre.

Moving vehicles must be accessible, but need not allow wheelchairs to be attached. Disney does that with its slow moving rides as a courtesy, not because they have to. You will notice many slow moving rides at nearby parks do not allow wheelchairs to drive on. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is accessible, but you can't drive your wheelchair on (obviously)

barnum42

Originally posted by phlydude
AE had wheelchair spaces - so I thinks it's fair to assume they will stay in place for Stitch.

Pigtails

Access for wheelchair users depends on the nature of the ride. Like at Spaceship Earth, the person must be able to transfer, but the ride can be slowed down, or even stopped to allow the person to get in. Same at Haunted Mansion, I believe. But at Peter Pan, which is also coninuously moving, they must be able to transfer into a boat, but the belts cannot be slowed down or stopped. I used to work at PP, and I had several people yell at me when I told them I couldn't stop the ride for them to get on. At Snow White, Dumbo, the Teacups, and the Carrosel, transfers are also nessassary.

Some attractions can accomodate wheelchairs. Small World and Pooh, and Buzz come to mind. Also the Imagination ride. I'm sure there are several more.

Invero

Originally posted by se8472
Now if Disney does this just to make sure that every guest has the ability to ride as many things as they want. Not just comply with the law.

A good percentage of our guests that come to visit us do use mobility devices, so I'd say it's done for those guests, not just because of the law.

barnum42

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
And a lot of people cheat using Wheel-chairs...

... I have...
*Unabe to come up with reply to fully express my low feelings for this kind of activity. At least not in a way that would not get me banned from the boards*

se8472

Originally posted by Invero
A good percentage of our guests that come to visit us do use mobility devices, so I'd say it's done for those guests, not just because of the law.

that is what I was trying to say :D I know how our company works :)

se8472

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
I hope you are just kidding...otherwise...you are a complete jerk :fork:

people do it all the time, but there really isn't anything anyone can do. Don't think disney will sit there and tell guest to had over some doctors note or something.

But I have heard of people yelling at CM about how they bought the wheelchair to get to the front of the line. Course some attrations don't work that way but yeah they will get ed. :D

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
And a lot of people cheat using Wheel-chairs...

... I have...

before this post I viewed you up here...

but now you're down here...
:rolleyes:

barnum42

Originally posted by se8472
people do it all the time, but there really isn't anything anyone can do. Don't think disney will sit there and tell guest to had over some doctors note or something.

But I have heard of people yelling at CM about how they bought the wheelchair to get to the front of the line. Course some attrations don't work that way but yeah they will get ed. :D
Very few attractions let you "jump the line" using a wheelchair and on many you have to wait longer.

se8472

Originally posted by barnum42
Very few attractions let you "jump the line" using a wheelchair and on many you have to wait longer.

Well the way it works at most major attrations is that we write them a card with a time to come back. This time usually reflex the wait time on rides

However on nice slow days its a waste of time to tell someone to come back in 10 minutes...thus the chair is a fastpass.

Nonetheless its still an advantage over the normal line

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom