Will Avatar Sequels Use New High FrameRate 4K 3D System?

tl77

The 4k projectors have been around a few years, building a camera that can capture at 4K 3D at 120 frames per second has been the hard part, but since Avatar is mostly CGI that shouldn't matter

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Still hoping that we are going to see something groundbreaking with the
projection system on this attraction. Let's see what folks' reaction is to
this:

Ang Lee to Unveil 'Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk' Footage in 3D, 4K and at 120 Frames Per Second

(And HDR!)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ang-lee-unveil-billy-lynn-873090?utm_source=twitter

Though, a theme park attraction needs to be absolutely rock solid tech, to run as frequently
and non-stop as it is required to.

But this sort of thing will automatically elevate it way beyond 'Soarin' clone', I think.

A foolish mortal

Also i guess it depends on the 3D system? Anyways.. took me a while to get used to seeing The Hobbit in 48fps.. But loved it once i got used to it.. Too bad 4K TVs and Blu-ray players dont support HFR yet :p Im sure Avatar will use some new technology that is not that common - like they did with 3D :) Maybe 8K 3D 120fps Dolby Atmos + something else yet not invented?

Also is it just me or do people think 4K is like a very new thing? Its been around for YEARS... Same with 8K. 8K exists too!! Its just TVs are 4K now.. Thats the new thing. (also 8K TVs are coming pretty soon) My local theatre has been 4K forever... but it looks like people think its a new thing... anyways...

More and more movies nowadays are Dolby Atmos. Its just getting bigger and bigger. Dolby Atmos has been around a few years now so i dont think we have to worry about that :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Not my 4 favorites, but the ones widely considered the 4 best rides there:
Forbidden Journey
Escape from Gringotts
Spiderman
Transformers

Even after all these years, I always ride RoTM several times. Love it.

Also, I heard "Flight of Passage" or "Totally Rad Avatar Movie Flight Simulator Thing (internal surveys have shown today's young hipsters will respond well to this name)" will be filmed old school with 40 mm. JC likes a challenge. Also, I really don't know why they'd make the weird parenthetical bit part of the ride's name since you'd think they'd want to hide the fact that surveys helped them come up with such an awesome name.

RSoxNo1

A lot of the time we pioneer technology by trial and error in theme park attractions years before it makes it to common use in theaters or elsewhere. There are many show attractions with custom audio systems that equal or exceed Atmos and have for years.
My guess is higher than 4K and 60 frames per second.

articos

My guess is higher than 4K and 60 frames per second.
Would hold off on that. Current attraction projectors are mostly 4k or less, and high-end projectors are still obscenely expensive. Cameron generally still shoots 4k 48fps. If it makes sense to innovate, we do, but in this case the projection would be expected to be what Jim's style for Avatar is.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
So, just spent three days at Universal. Cool stuff. Many, many screens of course.

My takeaway is that every attraction had some sort of projection defect or limitation. Blurry/low res, dim projection, motion judder, pixelization,soft image....

Now, lots of impressive stuff, and I had fun. But I have a 4K tv at home now and nothing approached that quality. Hog warts Express, I could see the pixels.

So, any and all screen based attractions have a ways to go yet. I am hoping Avatar will be some sort of next generation system.

My TV at home is so sharp and clean. Combine that with HDR and HFR, and it should be like looking out a window.

3D is a mixed bag because even tho you gain the depth illusion, there is some shading artifacting, and a dimmer screen overall.

Maybe what I imagine does not exist yet, but I would like to think at some point projection tech will evolve to the point where you almost think you are looking at a real scene.

Best image quality at UOR was Transformers, but still blurry.....

articos

So, just spent three days at Universal. Cool stuff. Many, many screens of course.

My takeaway is that every attraction had some sort of projection defect or limitation. Blurry/low res, dim projection, motion judder, pixelization,soft image....

Now, lots of impressive stuff, and I had fun. But I have a 4K tv at home now and nothing approached that quality. Hog warts Express, I could see the pixels.

So, any and all screen based attractions have a ways to go yet. I am hoping Avatar will be some sort of next generation system.

My TV at home is so sharp and clean. Combine that with HDR and HFR, and it should be like looking out a window.

3D is a mixed bag because even tho you gain the depth illusion, there is some shading artifacting, and a dimmer screen overall.

Maybe what I imagine does not exist yet, but I would like to think at some point projection tech will evolve to the point where you almost think you are looking at a real scene.

Two completely different things. When you start to look at attraction technology, there are a bunch of necessary factors that go way above and beyond where home technology is at. Hogwarts tech is now several years old from when it was spec'd out and tested and purchased. And you are right on top of the screens. Sit that close to most tv's, even 4K, and you will see pixels. Plus you have to test for reliability on a moving, vibrating vehicle that's going to be on 12-18 hours a day, every day, while maintaining brightness for years...there aren't many home units that could stand up to that kind of use. Dim projection is usually just maintenance issues. That should not be the case. Same with blur. The rest is technology pushed to its limits, balanced against budget and reliability. Avatar and Kong and Star Wars will all have the best available technology at the time the attraction is designed, but that will be outdated the moment the purchase order is signed. Nature of technology.

articos

Also, Universal had to create technology to make the effect on Hogwarts Express work - it's not as simple as only putting a screen on the other side of the window. There's a great deal of software that went into making the screens and projection effects look natural from every angle, with a very limited amount of space for actual hardware to be placed on the train carriages.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Two completely different things. When you start to look at attraction technology, there are a bunch of necessary factors that go way above and beyond where home technology is at. Hogwarts tech is now several years old from when it was spec'd out and tested and purchased. And you are right on top of the screens. Sit that close to most tv's, even 4K, and you will see pixels. Plus you have to test for reliability on a moving, vibrating vehicle that's going to be on 12-18 hours a day, every day, while maintaining brightness for years...there aren't many home units that could stand up to that kind of use. Dim projection is usually just maintenance issues. That should not be the case. Same with blur. The rest is technology pushed to its limits, balanced against budget and reliability. Avatar and Kong and Star Wars will all have the best available technology at the time the attraction is designed, but that will be outdated the moment the purchase order is signed. Nature of technology.

All good and true points! Especially the durability part. Any theme park attraction needs to be engineered like a tank. I am also aware that there are several years between design/p.o.'s, and attraction debut.

Again, all the experiences were positive. It is not fair to compare my minds eye with current tech, either. I do think a couple of focus checks and bulb checks might've in order.

One effect I thought was flawless was the technique to create the moving paintings. No glow, nice textured coating, they looked great.

Wizarding world in general is top notch in every way.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Also, Universal had to create technology to make the effect on Hogwarts Express work - it's not as simple as only putting a screen on the other side of the window. There's a great deal of software that went into making the screens and projection effects look natural from every angle, with a very limited amount of space for actual hardware to be placed on the train carriages.

Thought I would mention that I did notice the curved surface on the interior window projections. I am not sure if it was
a lens, or if somehow they created a curved display, but that was pretty cool and helped the illusion quite
a bit.

The bit with Ron pressing his face against the frosted glass was excellent as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom