Will 20.000 Leagues under the Sea ever return to WDW?

Will 20.000 Leagues under the Sea ever return to WDW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clever Name

I rode the old 20k subs on many occasions before the attraction closed. The reason why it closed was simple, it didn’t draw an audience. It was a walk-on for many years. People that did ride the attraction generally only rode it once because it was not a pleasant experience. The subs were cramped and smelled of mildew and yes all of the subs had water sloshing around in the bottom. The air conditioners were not powerful enough to provide adequate cooling even when the subs were empty. When they were full of people (they held 40 people) it was very uncomfortable. You really couldn’t see much out the portholes. Also, the audio was horrible and mostly unintelligible. When you could understand the audio, it was out of sync with the view through the porthole. In short it was hot, smelly and very humid in those subs.

In the early days when the attraction actually had a significant number of people waiting to ride, the queue moved very slowly because it took a long time to load up one of those subs. As was mentioned, there was no support for disabled guests. Another problem is that the entire ride system was a maintenance nightmare and required constant attention. :wave:

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
The reason why it closed was simple, it didn’t draw an audience. It was a walk-on for many years. People that did ride the attraction generally only rode it once because it was not a pleasant experience.

OK I agree with you on nearly every point but this one. When was 20.000 LutS EVER a walk-on? I never saw a line of less than 45-60 minutes at the ride, even during my last visit during it's lifetime in 1991. In early January 1991 a lot of rides were mere walk-ons (even Horizons), the parks were quite empty (the last week before Desert Storm began!) and one of the very few rides with a wait of more than an hour was 20.000 LutS. I remember that I didn't do the ride because of the long wait, I would have however still done it, waited even more than an hour in the worst queueing line in the MK to videotape it, if I would have known that the ride would be closed before I returned to WDW.

Jakester

They could build a different version of this ride in Animal Kingdom, it wouldnt fit in magic kingdom now since its original plot of land is TLM. it could be themed to undersea creatures and showcase either live sea animals or fake

Fantasmic

Unless my memory is going - I really can't think of a "water" or boat ride being built in the last couple decades. They seem to have movied away from that for whatever reason. I miss 20kL, and would love to see something similar, but I don't see anything like that being built now.

Was Splash Mountain the last water ride built (outside the water parks)? It's 100 degrees here today...my mind isn't working.

Kali River Rapids?

But... NO, 20,000 LuTS should not return... It's dated and archaic

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm sure if I experienced it in real life it would be absolutely amazing. Tho I haven't and it doesn't look so great on youtube (I guess because the video camera can't see through the glass very well). I'm going to put down WDW will never have 20k again but I will miss it, only because everyone speaks positive on the ride and I wish I could've experienced it.

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion :king:

Penelope

Kali River Rapids?

But... NO, 20,000 LuTS should not return... It's dated and archaic

I don't think that the story of this ride is at all dated and archaic - it is a CLASSIC! To say that would put the upcoming Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster on the same peg, as well as Dumbo, Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer Island, well I could go on.

I do not believe those of us wanting to see it return want it to be identical to its original structure. We'd love to see some of the old ride concept mixed in with new imagineering and technology. A water ride that is submersive is something we do not have in any of the WDW parks.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I don't think that the story of this ride is at all dated and archaic - it is a CLASSIC! To say that would put the upcoming Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster on the same peg, as well as Dumbo, Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer Island, well I could go on.

I do not believe those of us wanting to see it return want it to be identical to its original structure. We'd love to see some of the old ride concept mixed in with new imagineering and technology. A water ride that is submersive is something we do not have in any of the WDW parks.

Right. If it would be a dated theme in terms of pulling no crowds it wouldn't be such a huge success as a more modern ride in TDS in Mysterious Island.
Only the technology was dated, not the rides theme.

copcarguyp71

Nemo is a pre-show to The Living Seas pavillion. Basically you ride past the front of an aquarium in omnimover cars where they project some pretty cool characters to look like they are swimming in the water. In the end it is a short skit and compared to the old Hydrolators it pales in comparison but goes along with the dumbing down of Epcot just fine I guess for most.

Oh yeah and...
ThreadNecro.gif

jbeachboy

Nemo is a pre-show to The Living Seas pavillion. Basically you ride past the front of an aquarium in omnimover cars where they project some pretty cool characters to look like they are swimming in the water. In the end it is a short skit and compared to the old Hydrolators it pales in comparison but goes along with the dumbing down of Epcot just fine I guess for most.

Oh yeah and...
ThreadNecro.gif

are hyrdolaters gone? why are they trying to make epcot into a kiddie center?

copcarguyp71

Hydrolators are a distant memory. People do not want to be edutained anymore I guess. We are happier being moutbreathing tourists than trying to learn while being entertained. The other side of the coin is that technology moves so quickly that it is hard to stay ahead of the curve so they have decided rather than trying that they would just use heaping spoonfulls of pixie dust instead. Many who experienced Epcot in the early to mid 90's hearken back to that as the golden age of EPCOT, myself included.

jbeachboy

Hydrolators are a distant memory. People do not want to be edutained anymore I guess. We are happier being moutbreathing tourists than trying to learn while being entertained. The other side of the coin is that technology moves so quickly that it is hard to stay ahead of the curve so they have decided rather than trying that they would just use heaping spoonfulls of pixie dust instead. Many who experienced Epcot in the early to mid 90's hearken back to that as the golden age of EPCOT, myself included.

people get sick of old rides though after a while.

Animaniac93-98

The worst thing about 20K closing was how LONG it took to replace it. Almost 20 YEARS (!) from the time the ride closed to the public until New Fantasyland finished construction with the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train. That's really sad when you stop to think about it. Also sad when you think about the fact that the restoration of the submarines at DLR happened at more or less the same time as 20K being drained and demolished. Too bad the left and right hands didn't work together.

jbeachboy

The worst thing about 20K closing was how LONG it took to replace it. Almost 20 YEARS (!) from the time the ride closed to the public until New Fantasyland finished construction with the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train. That's really sad when you stop to think about it. Also sad when you think about the fact that the restoration of the submarines at DLR happened at more or less the same time as 20K being drained and demolished. Too bad the left and right hands didn't work together.

i look as mermaid ride replaced the 20k leagues

copcarguyp71

Would it be better if he posted a new thread about something that has been covered a thousand times:confused:?

I for one am glad someone used the search function and continued a discussion. It is funny to see necrothreads pop up but honestly it is entertaining to re-hash discussions with 2016 eyes. Sometimes I SMH at the minutiae that people get criticized for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom