Will 20.000 Leagues under the Sea ever return to WDW?

Will 20.000 Leagues under the Sea ever return to WDW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
In 1994 WDW lost it's first E-Ticket ride with the closing of the submarines of 20.000 Leagues under the Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20,000_Leagues_Under_the_Sea:_Submarine_Voyage

Reaction about the closing and later demolition of the ride is still splitted into the die-hard fans of, what they believe, was one of the most fascinating, adventurous, beautiful and immersive rides in the history of Disney and those who consider 20.000 LutS an outdated, boring ride with a fake rubber squid and corny underwater sets.
After the demolition of the ride building and the construction 20.000 LutS is not only dead, it's buried. Or is it?
Do you believe or wish that 20.000 LutS could or will return in a new reincarnation, perhaps as a part of a sub-land a la Mysterious island from TDS?

Animaniac93-98

I don't believe 20K will ever return in its original form due to its cost in operation and the expense in building such a huge ride. I will however continue to hope that a new attraction based on the movie, like the Disney Sea version, will come to some WDW park. At this point I'd even settle for a duplicate of the Paris attraction.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I don't believe 20K will ever return in its original form due to its cost in operation and the expense in building such a huge ride. I will however continue to hope that a new attraction based on the movie, like the Disney Sea version, will come to some WDW park. At this point I'd even settle for a duplicate of the Paris attraction.

Did you do the DLP attraction? I did. It's only a walk-through exhibition without any ride qualities. Nice but nothing spectacular.

menamechris

Unless my memory is going - I really can't think of a "water" or boat ride being built in the last couple decades. They seem to have movied away from that for whatever reason. I miss 20kL, and would love to see something similar, but I don't see anything like that being built now.

Patrick_Ears

Yes that was a great ride!! Sadly times have changed and ideas become more brighter. I don't think it will come back. Great Topic!!!!

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I doubt it will return. One of my biggest regrets is not going on it when I was younger, it always looked like a lot of fun.

One of my biggest regrets that I was there in 1991, the first time with a camcorder and I didn't do it and missed the opportunity to videotape the ride. I didn't want to wait more than an hour for a ride I considered only borderline between good and mediocre and it was before FP. I only filmed it from above, from the skyway and when I walked along the lagoon from the outside. I really regret that I didn't take the time to wait. Horizons is gone two but I always can return there by watching my video from 1991. The same could have been with 20.000 LutS.
:(

The Empress Lilly

I think the closed 20k is overrated. I remember it being a very charismatic, but slightly dissapointing attraction.

Some dissapeared Disney can not be done justice by pictures or YouTube ride throughs. Others, by contrast, look more exciting on photo or video. 20k belongs to this latter category i think.

That said, I would'nt mind a movie remake, and I would absoutely kill for, say, a 20k submarine attraction in Tomorrowland.
If only for diversity of modes of transport, we need submarines. i rmember being captivated as a kid by the diversity, the near completeness, of modes of transport, from underwater subs to surface boats to cars and trains and skyways and airplanes and spaceships. Soooo thrilling.

zurgandfriend

Unfortunately it will never happen, The Disney version of 20,000 Leagues was made circa 1954, that’s 57 years ago. Other than us Disney / Jules Verne / Sci-Fi / singing Kirk Douglas fanatics the movie is mostly forgotten. I believe the subs are buried somewhere on property or otherwise disposed of and all the inner workings of the attraction have been removed or will be after the Fantasy Land Expansion.

The only way I see this attraction coming back in any form would be if Disney Pictures produced an updated version of 20,000 league (ala Pirates).

If you willing to travel the extra distance you can ride the Nemo submarine in Disneyland, I rode the Nautilus, modeled after the USN sub, not the 20K sub, as part of the original “Submarine Voyage” circa 1959.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think that for many people the effect was ruined when you realized that a quick glance up would reveal your true depth to be about 6". The idea behind the attraction was solid though, so something new and shiny would be nice.

Kirk88

I agree, a new, updated version would be a great fit for Animal Kingdom! 20K Leagues, the Swan Boats, and Dumbo are the rides that stand out in my memory from my 1st trip in '79. I was 2 1/2!

NYwdwfan

Unless my memory is going - I really can't think of a "water" or boat ride being built in the last couple decades. They seem to have movied away from that for whatever reason. I miss 20kL, and would love to see something similar, but I don't see anything like that being built now.

Was Splash Mountain the last water ride built (outside the water parks)? It's 100 degrees here today...my mind isn't working.

I think that for many people the effect was ruined when you realized that a quick glance up would reveal your true depth to be about 6". The idea behind the attraction was solid though, so something new and shiny would be nice.

That was my favorite part as a kid - looking up and feeling like I figured out some big Disney secret.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom