Wildlife Express Train closing?

habuma

Original Poster
I couldn't find another thread on this, so I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere...

Since today is National Train Day, I spent a moment or two reading up about the various Disney railroads. While reading about the Wildlife Express Train on Wikipedia, I noticed that the entry states that it is closing on June 1, 2014.

Now, whether Wikipedia is reliable or if that entry was edited by one of the resort bus drivers, I can't say. But it did make me wonder. If it's true, then it seems to transitively apply to Rafiki's Planet Watch (or else there'll be some other means to transport guests to RPW).

Anybody know anything about this or is Wikipedia wrong?

CDavid

First I've ever heard of this. I know its not spectacular, but it's a ride in a park woefully short of rides.

Why would it close, but even more curiously, why would a closure date be announced so far in advance?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I couldn't find another thread on this, so I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere...

Since today is National Train Day, I spent a moment or two reading up about the various Disney railroads. While reading about the Wildlife Express Train on Wikipedia, I noticed that the entry states that it is closing on June 1, 2014.

Now, whether Wikipedia is reliable or if that entry was edited by one of the resort bus drivers, I can't say. But it did make me wonder. If it's true, then it seems to transitively apply to Rafiki's Planet Watch (or else there'll be some other means to transport guests to RPW).

Looking at the history of the article is appears the closing date was just added on March 29th of this year. Not sure where that info came from.

JIMINYCR

It's a short but decent ride to Rafikis. I've enjoyed the trip over and back by train. I would hate to see the service end and be replaced but something else, and I can't imagine what else would work as well. It fits in nicely with the atmosphere and theming of the area.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
First I've ever heard of this. I know its not spectacular, but it's a ride in a park woefully short of rides.

Why would it close, but even more curiously, why would a closure date be announced so far in advance?
On our trip a couple of years ago, we took the train out to RPW, with no intention of getting off. Apparently a lot of people had the same idea, as the CM chastised us all, telling us the train was not the attraction, and that we were supposed to get off.
Some did. Most didn't. We stayed put, and received snotty looks from the CM. It's not like the train was full, so we weren't taking a seat that could have been used by someone returning to the main park.

luv

I never considered the train to be an attraction. Just something I had to take to get to where I was going. I didn't know people rode it for fun!

CDavid

On our trip a couple of years ago, we took the train out to RPW, with no intention of getting off. Apparently a lot of people had the same idea, as the CM chastised us all, telling us the train was not the attraction, and that we were supposed to get off.
Some did. Most didn't. We stayed put, and received snotty looks from the CM. It's not like the train was full, so we weren't taking a seat that could have been used by someone returning to the main park.

I think the train is more of an attraction than Rafiki's Planet Watch, personally.

RSoxNo1

I haven't heard anything about this, nor do I trust the info on Wikipedia to be 100% true. Having said that, there have been many rumors over the years of this closing to help gain access to the large plot of land north of Asia.

DaGoof00

Wikipedia... I think that's enough said...

habuma

Original Poster
My guess is that it's total hogwash, but it still makes me curious. One of three scenarios plays out:

1. It's bogus and will be carrying travelers to the petting zoo for many years to come.
2. It's true and they're shutting down Rafiki's Planet Watch with no replacement in sight.
3. It's true and there's something really awesome in mind for that plot of land. Let the Beastly Kingdom rumors commence.

I know I have a preference of the 3 options. But there's only one scenario that would be completely unacceptable.

wdwfan4ver

I actually saw the closing date a couple weeks ago, but I didn't mention it for a couple reason.

My rule of thumb is Wikipedia isn't always correct. The problem with Wikipedia is anyone can edit a page.

My other problem is none of the Disney sites I go to have a closing date for Wildlife Express Train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom