Wilderness Lodge vs Contemporary

brisem

Looking for a little help please.

Never stayed at either one of these and lloking to go back in Feb.
Which one is better?

tigsmom

Well, it really depends on what you are looking for. Both are close to the MK, but the Contemporary has the monorail while the WL has a boat.

The atmosphere is totally different as are the restaurants.

We love the WL and have been there numerous times. I have stayed in the Garden Wing of the Contemp and while it was nice it wasn't... WOW!... at least for us.

We enjoy the restaurants in both resorts and eat in them at least once each trip. Chef Mickey's is a must for breakfast and I hope to finally have dinner there this next trip.

I guess we just enjoy the atmosphere and grounds of the WL more than any other resort we have stayed in.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

heh, these threads always bring out the staunch defenders on both sides. First, I must say that you should be very pleased with whichever choice you make, as both deluxe resorts have their high points.

Let's compare and contrast.

The Contemporary is a monorail resort, so it gets extra points for the coolness factor of walking out your room and boarding a monorail to the Magic Kingdom. Chef Mickey's is a very popular breakfast spot with character breakfast. Room views from the tower rooms can be of the Magic Kingdom on one side and Bay Lake on the other, and there is a bar in the top of the resort where you can watch the evening fireworks over cocktails. Very nice.

The Wilderness Lodge is newer and has an outstanding lobby with a big fireplace and rocking chairs inside a huge atrium themed to look like a national park resort around Yellowstone, or some such thing. I love the look, personally. Two super WDW restaurants are here - Whispering Canyon and Artists Point. WC is a family-style restaurant with all you can eat and much fun, and Artists Point is more fine dining, romantic setting and so forth. The pool is superb, and the resort offers boat transportation to the Contemporary and to Fort Wilderness, so this resort is more outdoorsy than the Contemporary. Also very nice.

Some drawbacks of each - I have heard complaints about the bus service offered by the Wilderness Lodge, and I have heard complaints about some of the rooms at the Contemporary. I prefer the layout, theming and restaurants of the Wilderness Lodge, but the monorail transportation and views of the Contemporary. In February, you may not get to use the pool (a Wilderness Lodge advantage), and boat transportation may be chilly. If I were booking ressies, it would truly be a coin toss and I'd be happy either way, but my wifey prefers the Wilderness Lodge for some reason. :wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I've been to the WL in Jan, Feb & march and have used the pools during our stay... but we are from NY so as long as its not 10 degrees and snowing we will use the pool! :lol:

Upvote 0

Mickey Maniac

Contemporary all the way. Nothing compares to it in my opinion. As I posted on my favorite deluxe resort response, our experiences at the other deluxes have not been as exquisite, accomodating, and fun as our stay at the Contemporary. We're going there this weekend and are totally excited. Wilderness Lodge sounds fun, but tower rooms at the Contemporary are my favorite.

Upvote 0

Captain Hank

I stayed at the WL for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was VERY impressed. It was my first time in a Deluxe resort, and it was awesome. The lobby, decor, and overall theming are amazing. I had the chance to walk around in the Contemporary, and I was less impressed. It just seemed just a little dingy, and far less themed than the WL, and just a little bit cold. Though, the monorail access is a definate plus. If given the choice, I'd definately go with WL again. I do agree that the bussing does leave a bit to be desired--it shares a route with the Grand Floridian when going to the parks, so it adds a bit to the travel time, though coming back it isn't as bad, though then it shares with the campground (but it stops at the Lodge first).

Upvote 0

Feta

Hands down, no comparison . . .

Wilderness Lodge is far better.

Granted, the Contemporary is slightly more convenient than WL, being on the monorail. Also, I might prefer the food (and especially the view) from California Grill compared to Artist Point. However, the Contemporary does not compare to WL as far as theming and decor. The lobby in the WL is overwhelming yet cozy. The pool with its waterfalls and hot springs hot tubs are incredible. The Contemporary pool is completely boring. I especially love the boardwalk through the cypress swamp out to the boat dock. Love the WL!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyRoxMySox

The number one reason I love the Wilderness Lodge, they great me with "Welcome Home", and oh boy, I am home. I'm not sure if they do that at other resorts being that I have stayed at Wl for the past three years. That is how much I love it.

Cozy atmoshpere, great food, great gift shop, and the pool is wonderful. I also really like the geyser and I love taking the boat to MK. The theming is fantastic at WL.

One down side, the buses. They share a bus with the GF and FWC, but the cater to WL. Second stop in the morning so resort straight to park and at night they go to WL first.

I stayed at the Contemporary many years ago, it is very nice, but it is, how can I put it? Bleh. The monoral and Chef Mickey's is a plus, but you can hop on the boat from WL to the Contemporary.

So, IMHO, the WL is much better. :wave:

Upvote 0

Mystic

DisneyRoxMySox said:
The number one reason I love the Wilderness Lodge, they great me with "Welcome Home", and oh boy, I am home. I'm not sure if they do that at other resorts being that I have stayed at Wl for the past three years. That is how much I love it.

Cozy atmoshpere, great food, great gift shop, and the pool is wonderful. I also really like the geyser and I love taking the boat to MK. The theming is fantastic at WL.

One down side, the buses. They share a bus with the GF and FWC, but the cater to WL. Second stop in the morning so resort straight to park and at night they go to WL first.

I stayed at the Contemporary many years ago, it is very nice, but it is, how can I put it? Bleh. The monoral and Chef Mickey's is a plus, but you can hop on the boat from WL to the Contemporary.

So, IMHO, the WL is much better. :wave:

I second everything said above in regards to the Wilderness Lodge. We used to stay at the contemporary when I was kid and it just doesn't compare. Whem my mom and I were thinking about going back for the first time in about a decade we both wanted to stay at the Lodge and we just love it there. In my opinion Whispering Canyon is far better than Chef Mickey's. Yes Chef Mickey's has characters but when we ate there last year we just found it way too noisy. The Lodge is warm and inviting year round. We always go in value season. We've been in November and February and just love the warmth the Lodge gives off at that time of year. One thing we've noticed is that people actually tend to 'hang out' in the lobby at the Lodge in their big comfy couches. Yes waiting for the bus can be a pain but you have to wait for a bus at every resort depending on what park you're heading to that day. Also if you're heading to MK you have the option of taking the MK launch which goes to MK (sometimes by way of FW) or you can take a resort launch over to the Contemporary and from there either take the monorail around or take the 10 minute walk to the park (or preferred way of going). Going by boat and foot makes life so much easier if you're arriving and leaving MK at opening/closing because you're not fighting to try to get on a monorail.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

tigsmom said:
I've been to the WL in Jan, Feb & march and have used the pools during our stay... but we are from NY so as long as its not 10 degrees and snowing we will use the pool! :lol:

You got that right!!

I vote for the Contemporary. I've stayed there five times and never get tired of it. It is such a gorgeous resort and the view cannot be beat. The snack area leaves a bit to be desired, but so does the snack area at the WL. The rooms at the Contemporary are much bigger (biggest on property).

Upvote 0

Mystic

maelstrom said:
The snack area leaves a bit to be desired, but so does the snack area at the WL. The rooms at the Contemporary are much bigger (biggest on property).

I like the snack area at WL mainly because there is no arcade attached to it so it's a lot quieter in there in the morning since you don't have all the blips and squeeks of the video games.

Bigger rooms at the Contemporary also mean bigger $$ per night. One of the reasons we like the Lodge is because it's a delux hotel that is a little on the less expensive side.

Upvote 0

righttrack

Contemporary feels more deluxe than does WL, but WL is just the better property, IMO. I would say if you are going to stay in the Tower, then Contemporary. If you are going to stay in the Gardens, switch to WL. You just don't get the contemporary experience in the gardens, IMO.

Upvote 0

Thunder Kz

Both resorts are amazing, so you can't go wrong. IMO, and given your timing, I'd recommend the Contemporary if you've got kids 16 yrs. or under. And then, only if you're staying in the Tower, or else you've pretty much negated the Contemporary's best feature. Otherwise, I'd go with WL. Have a good time!

Upvote 0

magda_96

contemp vs. wilderness

Being a Florida</FONT></ST1:p resident and a Disney nut I have had the advantage of staying at both of these resorts. They both have good and bad qualities. The wilderness rooms are extremely small. Well at least the ones that I stayed in. We did have an excellent view of the pool and were right next to the geyser. However the room as very small, not worth the price in my opinion. However the restaurants and the lobby do make up somewhat for the room. As well as the boat ride at night to the magic kingdom. <O:p</O:p

The contemporary is a very nice resort. I was only able to stay in the garden room, which were very large and nice. However I think that the hotel looses its luster if you are not staying in a tower room. I love the lobby and the restaurants are awesome. It is a very nice hotel and if I had to choose again it would be the contemporary. Especially since I love the fact that you can just hop the monorail easily and get to EPCOT very fast.

My money is always on the animal kingdom lodge. It is a little out of the way but it is so beautiful, especially at night. If you have to chance stay at this resort and spend the extra money for a savannah room. It is worth it without a doubt. The only downside is that it is a long bus ride anywhere you want to go on property. <O:p></O:p>

Regardless you will be in Disney and it is a hotel room and you will not even be in your room a majority of the time anyway. Have a great trip.<O:p></O:p>

Upvote 0

RedBaron

Having stayed at both I would say Wilderness Lodge is better. the rooms/atmosphere/pool area are wonderful. I was not impressed with my room at the Contemporary however did like the resort itself. To be more specific about my room complaint, the room was not very contemporay looking. It was more mismatched furniture and colors and the room and furniture all looked very dated. I liked that it was a monorail hotel and the public areas were nice. I have been reading on this site that they are doing or will be doing a rehab of this resort. Maybe the rooms will be nicer after rehab? If I remember correctly, the WL was also a little less expensive?

Upvote 0

K-dub

I too pick WL over Contemporary, but I've never gotten to stay in the Cont.'s Tower, Garden only, so I can't reeally say how the tower experience would be.

The WL's "small rooms" have been mentioned several times in this thread so far. I was just wondering how many of you have banged your foot on the leg of the beds in the night. OUCH!!! I've done it for years in those rooms!!

Upvote 0

Mystic

K-dub said:
The WL's "small rooms" have been mentioned several times in this thread so far. I was just wondering how many of you have banged your foot on the leg of the beds in the night. OUCH!!! I've done it for years in those rooms!!

My mom and I both have bashed our toes on the beds numerous times. I don't know if it's because the room is small per say or that the bed frames are just so massive. I practically have to jump onto the bed to get into it but then hey that's half the fun. :p

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

Love them both! Wildnerness Lodge is a little more remote and a bit quieter and very romantic! We've stayed in the main "lobby" which is a little loud but once in your room you can't hear anything. In May we stayed in one of the "wings" with a courtyard view and it was wonderful, especially with the first floor that we could just walk out to the pool. We also used the Monorail or walked to MK by taking the boat over to the Contemporary. It was like the best of both resorts. We have only stayed at a garden wing of the Contemporary which was also nice but not a great location. Small balcony facing a wall! But the room was huge and we had four people and didn't get in each others way. Stay at both!! Problem solved. :)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

K-dub said:
I too pick WL over Contemporary, but I've never gotten to stay in the Cont.'s Tower, Garden only, so I can't reeally say how the tower experience would be.

Not my foot, my shin on the foot board. * % & $ # & % !" * Every stinking time I walk past the bed. :lol:

The room are smaller than the Contemporary, but they are still large enough for the four of us to use comfortably.
And yes, it is the least expensive of the deluxes.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom