Wilderness Lodge transportation times/tips

ohhector

Hello all,

I will finally be staying at a Disney World Resort for my upcoming trip. Thanks to hotels.com, which now has Disney hotels listed, and has great prices and I was able to use my free night!

I've only been to the Lodge once, on my last trip. I took the boat from MK over, and arrived to a huge LINE at the dock, of which at least 2 people said "finally!" when the boat arrived. Then I took the bus back to MK. This took almost 30 minutes of waiting.

Is this the standard amount of time it takes for these modes of transportation? I've read many things about the long wait times for the boats, but are the buses always just as slow?

Also, I am not averse to walking...would it be feasible to just walk from WL to MK?

I know I know, take it easy, enjoy my vacation. But that's just not who I am! Especially in the morning, I am always at the park turnstiles an hour before opening. =]

tigsmom

Hello all,

I will finally be staying at a Disney World Resort for my upcoming trip. Thanks to hotels.com, which now has Disney hotels listed, and has great prices and I was able to use my free night!

I've only been to the Lodge once, on my last trip. I took the boat from MK over, and arrived to a huge LINE at the dock, of which at least 2 people said "finally!" when the boat arrived. Then I took the bus back to MK. This took almost 30 minutes of waiting.

Is this the standard amount of time it takes for these modes of transportation? I've read many things about the long wait times for the boats, but are the buses always just as slow?

Also, I am not averse to walking...would it be feasible to just walk from WL to MK?

I know I know, take it easy, enjoy my vacation. But that's just not who I am! Especially in the morning, I am always at the park turnstiles an hour before opening. =]

In over 10 stays at the WL we have never had a problem with any mode of transportation. We have never waited more than 10 minutes for a boat or more than 15 for a bus. You can take the smaller launch over to the Contemporary to hit the monorail, but no you cannot walk to the MK from there. The boat to the MK starts way before the park opens so just be up and ready to go, it's a very nice ride over in the quiet morning or late at night.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Take the bus! I never took the boat on my last trip and it never took me more than 20 minutes to get to the MK, including waiting for the bus. I did have to wait a long time for the DHS bus though.
There were always seats available too, even when we picked people up at Fort Wilderness.

The boat is nice and relaxing. I'd say take the boat back over to WL from MK if you don't see a long line.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a boat. Often much less.

This reminds me of something that happened last time I was there. We were on the boat over to MK, and were heading under the monorail line when a monorail went over. The captain of the boat blew his horn (just as if another boat was crossing his path) and the monorail blew its horn back. Everyone on the boat comment that they had never seen that before. Our captain said the boats try it whenever the monorails pass, but the monorails rarely answer back because they get in trouble.

-dave

Upvote 0

Unplugged

Having stayed at the lodge 1 to 2 times a year for the past 9 years, I can say yes, it is normal. Depending on when you arrive for a bus/boat obviously impacts the schedule, as does the distance between them which can and will vary throughout the day, and the volume of folks waiting depends on the season. We always go in either the spring or fall, both slow times so our issues are typically no more than 2-3 rides in a vacation of 7-10 days.

Don't believe that there are no problems. Sometimes we have an issue, sometimes we don't. No matter where you stay, there are potentials no matter how well the system works. some people can't understand why this happens on a "campus" environment like WDW. Simple; when the system caters to vacationers in this environment as opposed to buses, boats, or trains in a commuter environment, the riders are not conditioned and on a schedule. They're a variety of folks with differing needs, handicapped access, kids in strollers, bags from shopping, etc. Anything can slow the system a bit which sometimes builds up to an inconvenience. No worries, plan for delays (where possible) and get where you're going early.

Our best time....walk up and there it is, bus or boat.
Our worst time, bus wait 45 minutes to a park, boat wait 25 minutes.
Average is as Disney posts.

Remember: The only time transportation runs really slow or behind schedule is when you have a dining reservation or are running late yourself. :wave:

Upvote 0

heartodisney

This reminds me of something that happened last time I was there. We were on the boat over to MK, and were heading under the monorail line when a monorail went over. The captain of the boat blew his horn (just as if another boat was crossing his path) and the monorail blew its horn back. Everyone on the boat comment that they had never seen that before. Our captain said the boats try it whenever the monorails pass, but the monorails rarely answer back because they get in trouble.

-dave

That would have been COOL if you or someone else had video'd that wonderful moment..I would hope that we could have that "moment" when we visit next!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

-dave

That happened to me for the first time this past April. My wife and I both chuckled.

Upvote 0

ohhector

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help so far!

This actually happened when I was there in April. I didn't think much of it...I mean, it was cool but I didn't know it was rare!

Upvote 0
This actually happened when I was there in April. I didn't think much of it...I mean, it was cool but I didn't know it was rare!

Just got back from our trip and the boat / monorail horn happened to me on Sat. Kind of a neat moment. Also, this was our 4th time staying at the WL and we just really enjoy the boat. It's so relaxing - kinda like one last "ride" at the end of the day. Don't think we've ever had to wait more than 20 minutes for a boat - seems like it's usually much less. Now at park closing we've had to wait for the next boat a couple times, but you'd have the same problem with the buses.

Something we've noticed over the years (we've always gone in Sept. - not sure if that matters) There's usually a boat coming to the dock right around 8:30 on a 9AM park opening day. Then there's usually another one about 10 minutes later. Either of these will get you to the park well before the official opening time. Takes about 10 minutes to get there by boat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom