Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

flyerjab

We saw the new rooms a few weeks ago at the preview center. I disagree with people that claim it looks like IKEA, as it simply doesn't when seen in person. It isn't to everyone's taste, but then not everything is. Heck, most seem to love the Contemporary and BLT rooms, but we can't stand the look of those rooms. Yuck.

We also saw them at the preview center, and in truth they are not that bad. It simply seems that the new approach to the rooms has been more of an understated elegance without a heavy reliance on theming in the individual rooms themselves. All of the newer rooms I have stayed in are showcasing this type of aesthetic. An example are the new Yacht Club rooms. We stayed club level a few nights in March and got to stay in one of the new rooms. I remember seeing photos of them and I thought 'meh'. But now having stayed in one I have to say that those new rooms are fantastic and a huge improvement over the previous design. And there is so much thought being put into additional storage options and locations for charging. A big win in our book.

I am betting that I will feel similarly about the CC rooms. From what I saw in the preview center at SS they look much better in person. I just comes down to what design aesthetic people appreciate more. It is very rustic in the other parts of the WL resort, including the DVC section. This new addition with CC really diverges from the rustic approach in the original designs of the WL and what is now BCV. It is much more modern, and to some that clashes with the original intent, and I can sympathize with that.

*Q*

Photo update as of Wednesday, April 26. Some serious landscaping being installed around the new cabins, which will grow dense over the years.

View attachment 201472

The new wooden walkway is almost completed, connecting the new cabins in the background with the existing walkway to the boat transportation dock.

View attachment 201476
So it seems like the Wilderness Lodge might go back to being just as lush as it used to be. So hopefully in the long run this all turns out to be mostly positive. Hopefully the new pool turns out great, and maybe in a few years time when they do the first refresh for Copper Creek they'll do a much better job theming the rooms.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So it seems like the Wilderness Lodge might go back to being just as lush as it used to be. So hopefully in the long run this all turns out to be mostly positive. Hopefully the new pool turns out great, and maybe in a few years time when they do the first refresh for Copper Creek they'll do a much better job theming the rooms.
It looks like they have mixed in a good deal of pine trees into the landscaping. Depending on the species, they will grow anywhere from 1'-4' per year.

WDWFanDave

We saw the new rooms a few weeks ago at the preview center. I disagree with people that claim it looks like IKEA, as it simply doesn't when seen in person. It isn't to everyone's taste, but then not everything is. Heck, most seem to love the Contemporary and BLT rooms, but we can't stand the look of those rooms. Yuck.

The new rooms truly do not show well in pictures or videos, we saw them in person last week, and found them to be very nice, and I've booked a reservation to stay there late in the summer. I agree - not for everyone - but they really are nice in person.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The new rooms truly do not show well in pictures or videos, we saw them in person last week, and found them to be very nice, and I've booked a reservation to stay there late in the summer. I agree - not for everyone - but they really are nice in person.
And that's something that I constantly try to tell people on these forums. They see a crappy phone video and make a complete judgement based on that alone that some item or area sucks, before ever seeing it in person. And when you call them on it, they say that they are allowed to make any judgement they want, which while true, is completely disingenuous to say the least. I'm sorry, but until you see something in person, don't judge the book by it's cover. But of course, that falls on deaf ears around here.

Casper Gutman

And that's something that I constantly try to tell people on these forums. They see a crappy phone video and make a complete judgement based on that alone that some item or area sucks, before ever seeing it in person. And when you call them on it, they say that they are allowed to make any judgement they want, which while true, is completely disingenuous to say the least. I'm sorry, but until you see something in person, don't judge the book by it's cover. But of course, that falls on deaf ears around here.

It's not disingenuous in the least. Images - and video tours, of the type we see here - can give a very good impression of a space. When Disney releases PR video or photos, they are encouraging you to draw a conclusion from them - the conclusion being "hey, I want to spend money on that." It's particularly funny when folks on these boards get mad at others for drawing conclusions from PR images - in other words, doing exactly what the issuer of the image wants them to do!

Experiencing a space does give you a more unified sense of it, of course, but many folks on these boards don't have the time or resources to travel to WDW every time they redecorate a hotel room. That's why a lot of folks come here - to see images of things they can't experience, at least for a while. Disqualifying such opinions is another way of saying "you must go to WDW x number of times a year or your opinion isn't valid."

And it's not judging a book by its cover, its judging a cover by a photo of that cover - which is pretty fair.

Bocabear

It's not disingenuous in the least. Images - and video tours, of the type we see here - can give a very good impression of a space. When Disney releases PR video or photos, they are encouraging you to draw a conclusion from them - the conclusion being "hey, I want to spend money on that." It's particularly funny when folks on these boards get mad at others for drawing conclusions from PR images - in other words, doing exactly what the issuer of the image wants them to do!

Experiencing a space does give you a more unified sense of it, of course, but many folks on these boards don't have the time or resources to travel to WDW every time they redecorate a hotel room. That's why a lot of folks come here - to see images of things they can't experience, at least for a while. Disqualifying such opinions is another way of saying "you must go to WDW x number of times a yer or your opinion isn't valid."

And it's not judging a book by its cover, its judging a cover by a photo of that cover - which is pretty fair.
One step further, it is judging the cover by a photo of the cover that the writer of the book feels adequately and confidently projects the message of what is inside the book... the whole point of PR art is to show the wow...not merely document...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Experiencing a space does give you a more unified sense of it, of course, but many folks on these boards don't have the time or resources to travel to WDW every time they redecorate a hotel room. That's why a lot of folks come here - to see images of things they can't experience, at least for a while. Disqualifying such opinions is another way of saying "you must go to WDW x number of times a year or your opinion isn't valid."

The main issue I have is that many people on these forums, trash a space when they first see a video or picture, and then do a complete 180 once they have actually seen it in person. It has happened countless times on these forums, so how is that not disingenuous?

I will agree that not everyone has the time or money to travel there every time they redecorate a hotel room, but how about just simply waiting to voice your opinion until after you have actually been there. Is that really too much to ask of people nowadays?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The use of the Old Hickory furniture throughout the main lodge gave it much authenticity that is one thing missing here, goodness I found one tiny black icon mickey mouse on a deluxe cabin cabinet....and I have been to Yellowstone and Disney did a wonderful job in the Main building recreating it's ambience....the rustic rooms much like when it was built, save the washstands, the knotty wood and rocking chairs by the fireplace...sigh. Don't get me wrong I don't want a bunch of stuff just thrown at it with the new spaces....but a good decorator uses subtle balance to create a theme and when at Disney? THAT is something, the creative details....I have come to love AND expect. The theming in the new spaces is very shallow at best.:bored:

Even when they built the Contemporary DVC units they at least included an actual abstract modern pic of mickey mouse....I still have one of those in a 8 X 10 and its cute! Think they have hidden mickeys on the bed throw too....HERE we expect modern, not so much at the Lodge or a cabin of said lodge. The details are lacking oomph......o_O How easy would it have been to use more statement light fixtures? There are a lot of cool rustic ones out there that could have made the mark.;)
room1.jpg

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
The main issue I have is that many people on these forums, trash a space when they first see a video or picture, and then do a complete 180 once they have actually seen it in person. It has happened countless times on these forums, so how is that not disingenuous?

I will agree that not everyone has the time or money to travel there every time they redecorate a hotel room, but how about just simply waiting to voice your opinion until after you have actually been there. Is that really too much to ask of people nowadays?

Well how do people decide where to stay, if not from the PR that Disney puts out, plus views of others who may have already stayed there? When we come to plan our next vacation, we'll balance our favourites so far with the new offerings and resorts we haven't yet stayed in. Plus the perennial "how far will our points go" question.

My first impression was "sleek but IKEA like". Glad to see that others who have done the room previews suggest it's better than the pictures imply. The more who chime in, the more I may be swayed. That's what a discussion forum is for, isn't it? Already another fellow-poster has all but convinced me that OKW is a great resort, enough for me to suggest it to the family. I also want to stay at Wilderness Lodge. If you, or others, can convince me on CCV then great! I still think I'd rather go for BRV, with the separate and therefore quieter location at the resort. Go ahead and convince me otherwise.

Look at the entire section of this forum given over to Pandora, or upcoming changes /rumours. If we all had to wait until we see these things before commenting then the forum would be a lot duller. Personally it's what I love about this forum, the discussion on possible developments.

disney4life2008

Lol do not count me in that number. I think concept art looks amazing then the actual attraction or space looks terrible. Voyage of the little mermaid ride is a classic example. I thought the hotels at poly dvc were beautiful in pictures then toured one and thought they looked awful. The list goes on

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well how do people decide where to stay, if not from the PR that Disney puts out, plus views of others who may have already stayed there? When we come to plan our next vacation, we'll balance our favourites so far with the new offerings and resorts we haven't yet stayed in. Plus the perennial "how far will our points go" question.

My first impression was "sleek but IKEA like". Glad to see that others who have done the room previews suggest it's better than the pictures imply. The more who chime in, the more I may be swayed. That's what a discussion forum is for, isn't it? Already another fellow-poster has all but convinced me that OKW is a great resort, enough for me to suggest it to the family. I also want to stay at Wilderness Lodge. If you, or others, can convince me on CCV then great! I still think I'd rather go for BRV, with the separate and therefore quieter location at the resort. Go ahead and convince me otherwise.

Look at the entire section of this forum given over to Pandora, or upcoming changes /rumours. If we all had to wait until we see these things before commenting then the forum would be a lot duller. Personally it's what I love about this forum, the discussion on possible developments.
So lots of people have trashed Pandora before ever seeing the land. So are you NOT going to go there, based on what people are saying that have never seen it in person??? Really?? Are you still not going if people that have seen it in person don't like it?? Really?

Are you not going to try a resort simply because people that have only seen pictures state that it sucks? Really?? OKW is a great resort, BTW. So are many others in their own way. I would never try to convince anyone to stay anywhere.

Are you only ever going to visit restaurants at Disney that get all favorable reviews?? If we did that, we wouldn't have visited a dozen restaurants, and a few of them are now must do's every trip since we loved them.

While it may be a bit "duller" (though I disagree with that), it would at least be a lot more realistic, so that people such as yourselves can decide what they want to do. Personally, we do what we want regardless of what anyone else thinks of something, because we don't all like the same things. I always get a chuckle when someone posts a thread about "here's our ADRs - what do you think". I think you should go and decide for yourself, and quit asking people that are more than likely biased on an internet forum. JMHO, of course!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Lol do not count me in that number. I think concept art looks amazing then the actual attraction or space looks terrible. Voyage of the little mermaid ride is a classic example. I thought the hotels at poly dvc were beautiful in pictures then toured one and thought they looked awful. The list goes on
You're quite young and jaded anyway, so I would expect a response like that from you. :D I was only speaking of crappy phone videos that people post, NOT professionally done concept art - which is a "concept" - and not always indicative of the final product.

So is there not one thing that you have seen posted here (NOT from official Disney sites), that when you went and saw it for yourself, changed your mind about it?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Here are some crappy phone photos I took during my tour on Tuesday. While the dresser in the studio looks a little IKEA (what's, with the different size drawers?!), the furniture in the one bedrooms and up is very nice, not IKEA looking at all. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the furniture in the Boulder Ridge villas.

20170425_120141.jpg
20170425_120104.jpg
20170425_120006.jpg
20170425_120100.jpg
20170425_120112.jpg
20170425_120002.jpg
20170425_115955.jpg
20170425_115946.jpg
20170425_115741.jpg
20170425_115722.jpg

Yes, boys and girls, that's a bubble jet tub, similar to the ones in the GF villas.

My photo of the "mud room" shelving between the bedroom and bathroom apparently was too blurry. But you know what I mean - an open shelf unit with several peg hooks, a bench to sit on and cubbies to store stuff.

The kitchen, for being a wall kitchen (not really a galley) has plenty of storage space.

The studios offer a choice of just shower or tub/shower combo. And the the shower in the studio has a sliding barn door with a mirror...and no lock. What is it with Disney and the lack of locks on certain types of bathroom doors?

nickys

Premium Member
So lots of people have trashed Pandora before ever seeing the land. So are you NOT going to go there, based on what people are saying that have never seen it in person??? Really?? Are you still not going if people that have seen it in person don't like it?? Really?

Are you not going to try a resort simply because people that have only seen pictures state that it sucks? Really?? OKW is a great resort, BTW. So are many others in their own way. I would never try to convince anyone to stay anywhere.

Are you only ever going to visit restaurants at Disney that get all favorable reviews?? If we did that, we wouldn't have visited a dozen restaurants, and a few of them are now must do's every trip since we loved them.

While it may be a bit "duller" (though I disagree with that), it would at least be a lot more realistic, so that people such as yourselves can decide what they want to do. Personally, we do what we want regardless of what anyone else thinks of something, because we don't all like the same things. I always get a chuckle when someone posts a thread about "here's our ADRs - what do you think". I think you should go and decide for yourself, and quit asking people that are more than likely biased on an internet forum. JMHO, of course!

No, you're either misunderstanding me or somehow I've really touched a nerve.

I will decide what I'm going to do, where to stay, where to eat. I will however look at others's opinions. I have to narrrow the choice down somehow, so if I ask a question like "OKW or SSR?" I will read the responses and look for things that might appeal to my tastes. And if I feel that someone likes the same kind of things as I do, from their views on resorts I do know, then I will take notice of what they say. Doesn't mean I will necessarily follow.

I would never NOT to something just because others didn't like it, but I might try something new as a result of reading great reviews. The Sci Fi diner was a favourite of ours from our last trip; it sounded fun from the website, and I found lots of great reviews from posters. So I booked it as a surprise for the family.

When I come back for my next visit I will be visiting Pandora and making up my own mind. If people want to trash it, whether they've been or not, that's fine. I'll still read the threads because it's fun. If it turns into a totally hating thread, then I'll ignore it.

Basically, I like reading other people's opinions. Doesn't mean I'm a slave to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom