Wii will start a Revolution

dxwwf3

I'm just saying that there are less ps3s, and more wiis, but more ps3s on the shelf, and no wiis. I understand why there weren't alot at launch, I never complained about that. I'm just saying that even though the ps3 is in stock now, it's not flying off the shelves like the wii is.

How do we know that many of the total Wii's sold were not at the launch period, when MANY more systems were available then a typical launch. From what I've heard in stores, the Wii shipments haven't been coming in as often as the PS3 shipments have. It seems to me that Nintendo has been trying to get big shipment pushes in instead of releasing the systems at random whenever the stores get them.

I still haven't seen PS3's available in the stores around here, but I'm sure it changes in different markets.

Wii systems have outsold the PS3 so far, no doubt about it. But it did have many more systems available at launch and it would be interesting to know how many Wii's have been sold since the launch. It could surprise me, I'm not going to dismiss anything yet.

And the key to the whole thing is the next holiday season. After that, we'll know if the Wii can sustain past the fanboy stage or if the sells are frontloaded. And we'll see if the PS3 can rebound from a shaky launch just like the 360 did, or if it is the end of Sony's run. Either way, all 3 systems are good at what they do and I'm happy with my choice no matter what.

wdwishes2005

I agree it's way too far out to say who is the winner. As far as launch titles, I'm happy with the wii. however, after looking for an upcoming wii game to put my money on, I'm sort of disappointed. I didn't see anything I wanted. If the wii has a significant drawback so far it's that.

dxwwf3

Well for those of you that keep up with this kinda stuff, I'm sure you figured I would have to post this one ;)

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/ps3-launch-outsells-xbox-360-launch-226742.php
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS3 Launch Outsells Xbox 360 Launch

Sony today announced that they have sold 1 million Playstation 3s in North America since the launch of the console six weeks ago.

That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched.

Microsoft sold 600,000 of their Xbox 360s from their November launch to the second week in January.

"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming." ... "Reaching the one million mark for PS3 is the first of many major milestones for us as we head into a new year. Even more impressive, is that we were able to accomplish this feat while successfully managing two other gaming platforms--PS2 and PSP," said Tretton. "With three PlayStation platforms now available to gamers, 2007 will be about software and delivering innovative, new experiences and award-winning franchises to consumers, both through retail and through our online PLAYSTATION Network."

Wow. Maybe all of those PS3s sitting around have more to do with ramped up production than dwindling desire. Brian Crecente
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that bolded line was written by Crecente from Kotaku, which has been a very anti-PS3 video game site in the past.

I'm not going to say this means a ton in the long run, because as I've said before, it's way too early for any major revelations, but I do think this is a good sign for the system.

cmatt

or this taken from www.joystiq.com

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/08/wanna-see-iptv-in-action-on-the-xbox-360/

If this doesn't make you tingle all over, then you need to check your pulse. It's only been since November that we've had movies available to download on the Xbox 360, and soon it'll be live and recorded television as well. In the months after that, the console will slowly take over your kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom, leaving you fully assimilated into Microsoft's SkyNet service, offering sentient oversight of all of your bodily functions.

For now, revel in the goodness of Engadget's Xbox 360 IPTV interface gallery, and check out the video of this baby in action on Microsoft's Channel 10 site. TiVo, you'd better start working overtime.

that > ps3 sales - as this is the start of awesomeness :p

dxwwf3

That's pretty cool. Do you have to subscribe to X-Box Live to get that service? If not, and there isn't a monthly charge for that, why would anyone buy a TiVo?

cmatt

That's pretty cool. Do you have to subscribe to X-Box Live to get that service? If not, and there isn't a monthly charge for that, why would anyone buy a TiVo?

i think it will work like this subscriber that we have in the uk:

http://www.homechoice.co.uk/

all microsoft need to do is get a carrier to let them do what they want to do.... we shall see :sohappy:

i think it will be like tv based subscriptions. With a bit of luck it may even be better and only subscribing to channels you will watch! i dont see that happening as some channels will loose out....

cmatt

i think it will work like this subscriber that we have in the uk:

http://www.homechoice.co.uk/

all microsoft need to do is get a carrier to let them do what they want to do.... we shall see :sohappy:

i think it will be like tv based subscriptions. With a bit of luck it may even be better and only subscribing to channels you will watch! i dont see that happening as some crapper channels will loose out....

bhg469

or this taken from www.joystiq.com

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/08/wanna-see-iptv-in-action-on-the-xbox-360/

If this doesn't make you tingle all over, then you need to check your pulse. It's only been since November that we've had movies available to download on the Xbox 360, and soon it'll be live and recorded television as well. In the months after that, the console will slowly take over your kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom, leaving you fully assimilated into Microsoft's SkyNet service, offering sentient oversight of all of your bodily functions.

For now, revel in the goodness of Engadget's Xbox 360 IPTV interface gallery, and check out the video of this baby in action on Microsoft's Channel 10 site. TiVo, you'd better start working overtime.

that > ps3 sales - as this is the start of awesomeness :p

WOW!! LOL @ Skynet!!

cmatt

WOW!! LOL @ Skynet!!

wish i came up with that, but no - joystiq have!

i drooled 10 fold when i read this, however then i realised i was in the uk - we dont get anything like this, (well we get homechoice - but its dire) shame really :cry: but all i can see is sky (as in the broadcaster not sky net fnarr fnarr :p ) doing a deal.... but our infrastructure is lousy...

UWereTheOne

Ah, totally off topic, but yesterday and today I've been somewhat okay with the fact that my friends all have more current-gen consoles than me, or better computers. I have Steel Battalion! It pwns completely.

MAF

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164106.html?tag=latestnews;title;4

Wii tops new console launches

[UPDATE] Nintendo's upstart platform sells 1.1 million in 2006, versus 687,300 PS3s; both surpass the 607,000 Xbox 360s sold in 2005; 1.1 million 360s sold in December.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Jan 11, 2007 5:02 pm PT

With the release of NPD Funworld's 2006 numbers today, one big question was answered. Namely, the figures revealed which of the three formerly next-generation consoles sold the most at launch.

"...It smells like Wiictory."

To those following the industry, the winner should come as no surprise. From its release on November 19 until December 31, more than 1.1 million "new-gen" Wiis were sold in the US. That was nearly double the approximately 687,300 PlayStation 3s sold following its November 17 launch until the end of the year. By comparison, the just over 607,000 Xbox 360s were sold in 2005 following its November 22 launch.
During December 2006, the 360 sold more than 1.1 million units, no doubt benefiting from scant supplies of the PS3 and the popularity of Gears of War. As of the end of 2006, Microsoft's console had sold just over 4.5 million units in the US and more than 10.4 million worldwide.
But before the Nintendo faithful begin writing epitaphs for Sony and Microsoft, NPD senior marketing manager David Riley said the only thing holding back the 360 and PS3 was production capacity. "Comparing the three consoles is like apples and oranges," he told GameSpot. "It was all about availability. Microsoft and Sony were moving them as fast as they could put them out. [But] Nintendo was on the ball."
Riley also thought the PS3's high price--$499 for the 20GB model, $599 for the 60GB--wasn't as large a factor as many have made it out to be. "I think price plays a role there, but remember during the holiday season people have deep pockets," he said. "Kids know what they want, and if they tell mom to go buy a PS3 and she comes home with a Wii, they won't be happy."
Fundamentally, though, Riley thinks that there are no losers in the next-gen console war--only winners. "I know plenty of gamers who own multiple platforms. That's why I despise the term console wars," he said. "I have all three, and I buy the software I want for each one."
[UPDATE] Within an hour of the NPD numbers' release, the spin doctors were out in force. Dave Karraker, Sony Computer Entertainment America's director of corporate communications, said that his company did indeed ship 1 million PS3s in North America in 2006. "NPD doesn't account for Canada... [and] doesn't cover all of our USA retailers," he told GameSpot. "We sold-in more than 150,000 systems the last week of December, so there were many units in transit or at retailer's backrooms waiting to be put out [by year's end]."
For its part, Microsoft claimed outright victory over the holidays. "The Xbox 360 garnered a 51 percent market share in the United States for December 2006...outselling the PlayStation 3 and Wii combined in December and outselling all next-generation consoles in November and December," the company said in a statement.
Analysts were also skeptical, with some believing that the Wii sold more than NPD reported. "I don't understand how US Wii sell-through could be 1.1 million cumulatively, with Nintendo saying that they shipped half of their 4 million here and zero inventory on retail shelves at year end," said Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter. "Where are the other 900,000 units? I assume 200,000 are in transit, but this number makes no sense to me at all."

dxwwf3

But before the Nintendo faithful begin writing epitaphs for Sony and Microsoft, NPD senior marketing manager David Riley said the only thing holding back the 360 and PS3 was production capacity. "Comparing the three consoles is like apples and oranges," he told GameSpot. "It was all about availability. Microsoft and Sony were moving them as fast as they could put them out. [But] Nintendo was on the ball."
Riley also thought the PS3's high price--$499 for the 20GB model, $599 for the 60GB--wasn't as large a factor as many have made it out to be. "I think price plays a role there, but remember during the holiday season people have deep pockets," he said. "Kids know what they want, and if they tell mom to go buy a PS3 and she comes home with a Wii, they won't be happy."
Fundamentally, though, Riley thinks that there are no losers in the next-gen console war--only winners. "I know plenty of gamers who own multiple platforms. That's why I despise the term console wars," he said. "I have all three, and I buy the software I want for each one."

I think that David Riley is 100% correct on this. All 3 did well and a launch doesn't make or break a system. For example, look at the 360. Nintendo is a big winner here though. They needed something like this after GameCube. They decided to release an easier to produce system and released major amounts. When I saw the numbers today, I wasn't surprised with Nintendo winning because it would have taken a serious bomb for the Wii not to win this holiday season because of price and quantity. And this launch really could lead to bigger things for them, which I was not expecting at all. However, I still think NEXT year's stats are the ones to be looking at because by then we will probably know who will end up 1-2-3 as far as sales go.

And of course, the important thing from a PS3 fan POV is that it certainly seems demand was not low as many predicted. And for that system to have a more successful launch than the 360 had, with competition from the Wii as well as the 360, is pretty darn impressive, I don't care who you are.

The 360 also did very well with it's second "generation" of titles making great strides from the launch titles.

It certainly looks like video game systems in general were the big winners this holiday season. But Nintendo gets the bragging right for now and congrats to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom