Why WDW is the Crown Jewel of the Walt Disney Company

manutdfan1

Original Poster
I just wrote this in a forum at Micechat and I was wondering what you guys thought about what I said. This was in response to a forum about why WDW was better than DL and this is what I wrote back:

I agree with you but your numbers are way wrong. This is 2005 years attendance for DL Resort and WDW Resort

MK: 16.2 Million
Epcot: 9.9 million
MGM Studios: 8.6 million
Animal Kingdom: 8.2 million

DL: 14.5 million
California Adventure:5.8 million

So, lets see WDW is getting 42.9 million people coming through the gates and DL is getting 20.3 million people. Then lets say 1/4(even though this is wrong its probably a more percentage) are annual passholders that go to DL Resort and 1/5(and this is probably large for how many there are) are annual passholders that go to WDW Resort. So that means that there are 15.225 million people that are people on vacation at DL Resort and there are 34.32 million people that go on vacation at WDW Resort every year. Then lets say that 5% of people that go to DL on vacation stay at one of Disney's hotels and lets say that 20% of the people that go to WDW on vacation stay at a WDW hotel. That means that 0.76125 million people that go to DL stay on property and 6.864 million people that go to WDW stay on property.

Ok so now that we have the numbers lets get down to business. If you say that a park hopper for one day at DL Resort costs $50 and one at WDW costs $40 dollars(even though this is probably lopsided im trying to be fair to Disneylanders), that means that $761.25 million dollars are made from vacationers just getting in the gates at Disneyland Resort every year and $1372.8 million dollars is made from vacationers to get in the gate at WDW every year.

Now its on to the hotel rooms. Lets just go on the cheep side for all the hotel rooms and say that it is $100 a night to stay at a DL Resort hotel and its $90 to stay at a WDW hotel. That means that $76.125 million dollars are made from hotels at DL resort and $617.76 million dollars are made from the hotels at WDW.

Then we add up our #'s:

WDW Resort total earnings for just hotel and ticket price: $1990.56 million dollars which is also almost $2 billion dollars.

DL Resort total earnings for just hotel and ticket price: $837.375 million dollars.

WDW is closer to hitting $2 billion dollars than DL is to hitting $1 billion dollars. Then if you add in my deviations like that I gave DL park hopper more worth than WDW's and I also gave there hotel rooms more worth that WDW's. Those #'s would actually probably go in the other direction. Also(Disneylanders you said this I read it from other posts) WDW has better and more expensive restaurants than DL and therefore there is also more money made on food at WDW. Then if you would add in the money the shops made WDW probably gets more money than DL there too. The reason I say this is because more tourists go to WDW(look at the #'s) than DL and tourists buy more stuff than AP's do. I think these #'s prove that WDW is more of a gold mine that DL.

The point of me writing all of this was not to make any Disenylanders mad or to prove that WDW is better than DL. By many reviews it actually isnt and if you look at the ride count WDW actually only has 10 more rides and it has 2 more parks. Which brings me to the point of my thread. WDW deserves more attention than it is getting right now or has ever gotten. More money is made there than at Disneyland and it deserves for more money to be put into its parks. Thats just what I think and I think my #'s prove it.

P.S.- If you feel my #'s are wrong than please present what you think is right, don't just bash mine. It took me a long time to get those. Thank you.

EDIT: I got my theme park attendance #'s from http://www.coastergrotto.com/theme-park-attendance.jsp
http://www.coastergrotto.com/theme-park-attendance.jsp

jedimaster1227

Why? Because it has the most to offer. It has the most parks, the most water parks, the most resorts, the most activities other than just the parks (i.e. Pleasure Island, Fantasia Golf, etc...). No other Disney resort in the world has this much to offer. That is why WDW is the crown jewel of WDC.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Judging by your numbers, DLR is actually more profitable than WDW. The numbers at DLR are actually better given that there are more offerings at WDW.

manutdfan1

Original Poster
Judging by your numbers, DLR is actually more profitable than WDW. The numbers at DLR are actually better given that there are more offerings at WDW.
If you noticed I gave Disneyland deviations that would help them out. I was trying to be fair because I knew people would be shouting that I was being unfair. Also, we only have 10 more rides and what I calculated was strictly to them theme parks and hotels, not the extra things like water parks and DTD.

CaribbeanGreen

I would be curious about the actual profitability of each resort, given that WDW must have significantly higher operating costs. Payroll, maintenance, facilities, insurance, infrastructure, etc...

DisneyYorkian74

The only problem I see with your numbers have to deal with the percentage of local residents that visit Disneyland.

I've read that more than 60% of Disneyland's annual visitors are locals.

So 60% of 20 million people would be more around 12 million locals verse 8 million tourists.

Walt Disney World doesn't have it good with the locals like at Disneyland so I'd say that nearly all of Walt Disney World's attendance comes outside of Florida. (Don't have any SOLID proof though)

Of course Walt Disney World is the crown jewel of the Walt Disney Co.

As your numbers show it's not only the most popular tourist destination in the world, but it's also the biggest money maker for the company.

The only people who would argue that point probably live in California and don't want to accept the facts that Disneyland is no where near as popular as Walt Disney World.

(In 2007, Walt Disney World is actually UP in attendance, while Disneyland is on a decline)

BTW: OP, Your avatar is GREAT. That picture alone kind of proves that Walt Disney World has the "look" to be the company's crown jewel.

Lee

Adventurer
Eh....I love WDW and all....but in my opinion Disneyland is, and should be, the crown jewel. That place has magic all over it...Walt's touch is felt everywhere.

Nicole220

Not another DL vs. WDW debate! :brick:
The only problem I see with your numbers have to deal with the percentage of local residents that visit Disneyland.

I've read that more than 60% of Disneyland's annual visitors are locals.

So 60% of 20 million people would be more around 12 million locals verse 8 million tourists.

Walt Disney World doesn't have it good with the locals like at Disneyland so I'd say that nearly all of Walt Disney World's attendance comes outside of Florida. (Don't have any SOLID proof though)

Of course Walt Disney World is the crown jewel of the Walt Disney Co.

As your numbers show it's not only the most popular tourist destination in the world, but it's also the biggest money maker for the company.

The only people who would argue that point probably live in California and don't want to accept the facts that Disneyland is no where near as popular as Walt Disney World.

(In 2007, Walt Disney World is actually UP in attendance, while Disneyland is on a decline)

BTW: OP, Your avatar is GREAT. That picture alone kind of proves that Walt Disney World has the "look" to be the company's crown jewel.
They are. If you ask anyone in SoCal if they have an AP to DL, they'll say yes. Everyone I know has one.

As I said before in the other thread, WDW gets people from around the world. DL gets locals. DL's sized is perfect because of the people it attracts. Since WDW gets people from around the world, it needs more to offer.
Eh....I love WDW and all....but in my opinion Disneyland is, and should be, the crown jewel. That place has magic all over it...Walt's touch is felt everywhere.
Totally agree with that!

The quality is much better at DL than WDW! When my family and I go to WDW, we never even go to MK... its sad to see the shape everything is over there compared to DL....

no2apprentice

Just three points (opinions, if you will)...

1. Like it or not, DL is the park that Walt built.

2. What Walt really envisioned to be built in Florida, never got built (I am not a hardcore Disney historian/fanatic, but to the best of my understanding, the true E.P.C.O.T. is not even close to what exists now as Epcot).

3. In the overall scheme of things, it doesn't really matter which location is the "crown jewel." What matters is the magic continues at all the parks and resorts, and that the ideas that become reality do not become an exercise in futility for entertainment.

I wanted to do five points, but I'm tired. I'll hold it to three.

DisneyYorkian74

As I said before in the other thread, WDW gets people from around the world. DL gets locals. DL's sized is perfect because of the people it attracts. Since WDW gets people from around the world, it needs more to offer.

That's the main reason why I'd say Walt Disney World is the crown jewel.

Disneyland can hold a special place in some diehard Disney themepark fans hearts.

But when it comes to the numbers, popularity, and fame. Disneyland can't compete with Walt Disney World.

Saying Disneyland is the "original" and that's why it should be the crown jewel is not really a reason. (I personally think Magic Kingdom looks better than Disneyland)

BTW: Walt Disney World is really ALSO the crown jewel of the tourist industry for the same reasons it's the crown jewel of the WDC.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Comparing WDW to DLRC as a whole just can`t be done; however comparing The Magic Kingdom to Disneyland and it`s pretty clear; if TMK was the crown jewel then it wouldn`t have been allowed to get into the mess it is compared to DL.

Glasgow

However you want to slice and dice the numbers, the fact remains that each of the parks have their own charms and positive qualities. Many people feel the need to quantify the differences and more power to you -- I will continue to enjoy them all.

I don't know if this quote could be more appropriate ..

"Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really."

hehe

Nicole220

That's the main reason why I'd say Walt Disney World is the crown jewel.

Disneyland can hold a special place in some diehard Disney themepark fans hearts.

But when it comes to the numbers, popularity, and fame. Disneyland can't compete with Walt Disney World.

Saying Disneyland is the "original" and that's why it should be the crown jewel is not really a reason. (I personally think Magic Kingdom looks better than Disneyland)

BTW: Walt Disney World is really ALSO the crown jewel of the tourist industry for the same reasons it's the crown jewel of the WDC.
I think they both are the crown jewel for different reasons.

WDW because of everything it has to offer and because it attracts so many people from around the world.

DL because of the quality and magic it has that the MK *in my opinion* lacks. MK may look better, but the quality of rides doesn't even touch that of DL's. Yes I'm biased because I've grown up with DL in my backyard, but from talking with others, they agree with me.

Nicole220

Comparing WDW to DLRC as a whole just can`t be done; however comparing The Magic Kingdom to Disneyland and it`s pretty clear; if TMK was the crown jewel then it wouldn`t have been allowed to get into the mess it is compared to DL.
Just saw this and have to agree 100%. I've always said: WDW>DLR and DL>MK. You can't compare WDW and the DLR, they cater to two different crowds.

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
I should hope that WDW makes more monely than DL since it is more than twice its size. If you take into account that DL is A=the ORIGINAL and has something that WDW will never have, and that is Walts footsteps throughout the park and rides and B) Is 1/4 the size of WDW, it holds its own against WDW.

Comparing the two isnt even worth it anyway. They are two COMPLETELY different ideas. They have very few things in common other than the founder and general themes.

Cant we all just get along and appriciate the two parks instead of bashing them against each other?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It may be in a "mess" now. (According to you)
It certainly is. IMHO :D Just look at the JC (termite infestation on the dock, left until it`s too late), the PotC STILL undergoing renewals from it`s rehab, the HM (again, minimal upkeep) countless faulty effects on Splash and Thundermountains (when did you last see Tumbleweed actually in it`s flash flood?), Golden Horseshoe space-for-rent, Peter Pans Flight (tin foil anyone?), a playground that took a decade to develop, Space Mountain (constantly being bumped down the queue for it`s much needed refurb due to other pressing park issues), the SGE fiassco, The Laugh Floor mess, the Main St. Mall.....

But it's still the park that Disney insists on focusing all their advertising dollars on.
Not all - as SoCals know. However, Orlandos Dermographics and targets are quite diferent to Anaheim - hence the advertising.

mkepcotmgmak

You have to factor this in - LAND. IF DL had been built on more land, then more people would go there. If you have to drive a great amount or fly to go on a vacation, do you want to go somewhere that you would spend 2-3 days at, or somewhere where you could spend an entire week, or longer? There may be more attractions at DL, but WDW is much more of a vacation destination, instead of a weekend getaway... think abotu how much there is to do with 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, downtown disney, all 20+ resorts, etc.

I've been to DL and LOVED IT. It had much more of an intimate feel, and you could almost feel Walt's presence... but - I prefer to VACATION at WDW.

VISIT DL
VACATION @ WDW.

edit - i'm curious on the attendance numbers for Tokyo Disneyland... I've heard it's busier than WDW, but do not know that for sure...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom