Why was Cinderella chosen?

Sped2424

Original Poster
Now I have a quick question here why did they choose cinderella castle for the park icon? why didn't they build snow white's castle? Or a bigger version of sleeping beauty's? Does anyone know cause I tried digging around and I found nothing. Well regardless of the reason i'm glad they did! I was just wondering why.

StarWarsGirl

Interestingly enough, when they built DLP, Sleeping Beauty had not yet been released. But Cinderella had. And so the mystery remains...

I also would like to know: What makes Cinderella so special? I never really liked her. When I was little, I thought she was ugly:rolleyes:. Oh well. My favorite is and will always be Belle. In fact, that's my cat's name...

Darth Tater

Now I have a quick question here why did they choose cinderella castle for the park icon? why didn't they build snow white's castle? Or a bigger version of sleeping beauty's? Does anyone know cause I tried digging around and I found nothing. Well regardless of the reason i'm glad they did! I was just wondering why.
Because the castle seen mostly in Snow White was more associated with the Queen rather than Snow White herself. Snow White & Prince Charming did eventually ride off to a castle in the sky, but a cloud castle wouldn't really fit the theme of MK. Disneyland already had Sleeping Beauty's castle, and they wanted the Fla project to be different in that aspect.

This left Cinderella Castle as the perfect candidate for MK's iconic centerpiece.

MOXOMUMD

Because the castle seen mostly in Snow White was more associated with the Queen rather than Snow White herself. Snow White & Prince Charming did eventually ride off to a castle in the sky, but a cloud castle wouldn't really fit the theme of MK. Disneyland already had Sleeping Beauty's castle, and they wanted the Fla project to be different in that aspect.

This left Cinderella Castle as the perfect candidate for MK's iconic centerpiece.
I want to ride off to a castle in the sky. :) I guess that makes sense...maybe...Snow White will always be my girl.

FettFan

And Walt Disney always likened himself to Cinderella.

She was made to wait on her wicked stepmother and -sisters for years on end before her dream came true....Walt had to deal with studio backstabbing (Oswald being practically stolen by Universal), German problems (WWII = plans to premiere Snow White postponed indefinitely, and losing most of his studio staff to military service), and problems with Disneyland (opening day was an unparalleled mess....plumbers strike meant that drinking fountains were out of order, food shortages, ladies high-heels getting stuck in the new asphalt, 101* heat wave, and to top it off TWICE the expected attendance due to ticket counterfeiters).

The Florida Project was Walt's dream come true. After years of work and effort, Walt Disney World, with it's Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Progress City, and EPCOT Industrial and Technology Center was to be the crown jewel of the Walt Disney Company.

Sped2424

Original Poster

Well snows castle is still fairly visible in the film! and is no castle in the sky either that is a different movie...
1801096-badum_tish_super.jpg

but in all seriousness here is snows castle
Snow_White_Castle.jpg

Darth Tater

Well snows castle is still fairly visible in the film!
But we hardly see Snow White inside the castle. Maybe once when she's smiling at the prince, but other than that, the castle façade is used mainly to lead up to a scene with the wicked Queen. Whether it be talking to her magic mirror or the huntsman...we know that when the castle is shown/being zoomed in on, and that slow/eerie music plays, we're about to see a Queen scene. At least I've always associated that with the Queen.

AndyS2992

Well snows castle is still fairly visible in the film! and is no castle in the sky either that is a different movie...
but in all seriousness here is snows castle
Snow_White_Castle.jpg

That isn't Snow White's Castle, that belongs to the Wicked Queen, her stepmother. This is technically Snow White's Castle:
snow-white.jpg

Anyway Disneyland got Sleeping Beauty because Walt wanted market his upcoming movie and Magic Kingdom got Cinderella because Roy did not want a replica of Sleeping Beauty as the castle but something more grander and instead chose another Disney Princess who had a castle. There were only three princesses at the time so yeah..

jw24

And Walt Disney always likened himself to Cinderella.

She was made to wait on her wicked stepmother and -sisters for years on end before her dream came true....Walt had to deal with studio backstabbing (Oswald being practically stolen by Universal), German problems (WWII = plans to premiere Snow White postponed indefinitely, and losing most of his studio staff to military service), and problems with Disneyland (opening day was an unparalleled mess....plumbers strike meant that drinking fountains were out of order, food shortages, ladies high-heels getting stuck in the new asphalt, 101* heat wave, and to top it off TWICE the expected attendance due to ticket counterfeiters).

The Florida Project was Walt's dream come true. After years of work and effort, Walt Disney World, with it's Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Progress City, and EPCOT Industrial and Technology Center was to be the crown jewel of the Walt Disney Company.

Agreed to all of the above plus it did very well at the box office and a lot of good things for the company. According to IMDB: "Walt Disney had not had a huge hit since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The production of this film was regarded as a major gamble on his part. At a cost of nearly $3,000,000, Disney insiders claimed that if this movie had failed at the box office, it would have been the end of the Disney studio. The film was a big hit. The profits from its release, with the additional profits from record sales, music publishing, publications and other merchandise gave Disney the cash flow to finance a slate of productions (animated and live action), establish his own distribution company, enter television production and begin building Disneyland during the decade."

As for the film, Cinderella herself is also a very likable character. In spite of the mistreatment of her stepsisters and Lady Tremaine, she carries on. Even though the fairy tale is very well-known with tons of countries having their own folk versions of Cinderella, people could easily to relate to her and felt for her. I know the scene where the stepsisters tear up her dress guts me every time. I do think the whole, "Follow your dreams" mantra probably resonated the strongest with Cinderella out of all the films Walt Disney produced.

Britt

Interestingly enough, when they built DLP, Sleeping Beauty had not yet been released. But Cinderella had. And so the mystery remains...

I also would like to know: What makes Cinderella so special? I never really liked her. When I was little, I thought she was ugly:rolleyes:. Oh well. My favorite is and will always be Belle. In fact, that's my cat's name...
*gasp* I always loved her eyes! Haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom