Why the name??

Katherine

I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason they changed the name from Dixie Landings to Port Orleans? I just never understood the reason why it changed.

Originally posted by Becky
BTW, the new logo at Fort Wilderness is Mickey w/ a walking stick~ hmmm, watch out if anyone gets hurt by a stick, Mickey will be blamed! :brick:

Disney will have to get rid of the walking stick.:rolleyes: Remember Rafiki (sp) hit Simba in the head with his:eek:

How about Mickey holding a wet noodle?:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I have explained this many times before...

There were a bunch of different reasons why they merged. Political Correctness, Guest Convenience, and slight cost cutting were all a part of this.

Try doing a search of the boards if you are still interested in this subject.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Hmmmm...

I would think that if the resorts were merging so that guests would understand that they are sister resorts that Disney would have retained the identity of the far larger resort...

:confused:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I think DisneyInsider has given the best explanation...it was a combination of factors that prompted the change. And I suspect that since they had to choose one name, POR was chosen over Dixie Landings to be PC, but am not sure the name would have been changed if the resorts hadn't "merged."

For example, POC still continued to have the pirates chasing the women , with the exception of the "plump" one (who chased the pirate) well into the 80s, despite the feminist movement. IMO, (which has no basis in fact ;) ) the auction/chase scenes might have been changed because the "undesirable" woman was overweight, and that was meant to be humorous. In the 60s and 70s, obesity was not as common, and morbid obesity was very rare. Now at least half of WDW's guests fall into one or the other (sometimes both) categories (women and/or overweight), so there were two reasons to change potentially insulting scenes.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom