Why the name??

Katherine

I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason they changed the name from Dixie Landings to Port Orleans? I just never understood the reason why it changed.

bailey5697

Originally posted by Katherine
I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason they changed the name from Dixie Landings to Port Orleans? I just never understood the reason why it changed.

I believe I heard that because PO and DL were so close they wanted to make them one resort. Why I don't know, because DL is so big on it's own. :confused:

Upvote 0

meeko_33785

I heard it also had to do with political correctness. Some people find the phrase "Dixie" is politically incorrect. I'm not from the South (yes I am from Florida, but many southerners apparently think of Floridians as "yankees" :confused:, ) so I don't exactly know why it is incorrect, though. Also, they had to change the name of the Food Court from "Colonel's Cotton Mill" to "Riverside Mill" for the same reason.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I had to laugh at the Colonels Cotton Mill being changed because it might be offensive. We occasionally go down to Branson MO. and there is a restaurant there called "The Plantation" so if the Colonels is offensive imagine the Plantation!!!

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

They combined the Resorts to save money--notice some places closed for the combination, like Bonfamilles Cafe. Just an easy way to save money.

Upvote 0

Horizons1

Most of it was proably because of political correctness.As we all know people try to remove any trace of the Confederate Flag*which is really stupid.Its part of Americas history* So anything reffering to the South is wrong.:mad: It really does bother my whole family because were all Southerners.

Upvote 0
I heard Disney took the Mickey w/ the gun off of the sign at Ft. Wilderness resort and campground because carrying a gun wasn't "correct" And off the Logo merchandise at the resort!
Jeepers! :brick:

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Katherine
Are you serious??? That's the stupidest one yet. How is that teahcing kids that guns are good? I mean come on!

I think the viewpoint is: "well, if Mickey can carry a gun, and he is a character beloved by children, I guess it's right for everyone to carry one." It is proven that kids who watch tv shows or play video games featuring weapons are attracted to things like water guns and play swords at a very young age, so I can see the connection. Realize these decisions are not on Disney's part. They are told to make the changes by lawyers after being sued or for some reason seeing a threat of getting sued "kid shoots parents; Fort Wilderness logo w/ M. Mouse found in pocket"...realize that most people in the world are idiots and there are more than enough lawyers to compensate for their stupidity by making them rich...but, like I said, the real reason for the combination of the Resorts was to save money...this was back around the time French Quarter closed for an extended period of time. It is ALL about money here--saving money with fewer things open and preventing lawsuits.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

Children shouldn't talk to strangers, so they oughtta just shut down It's a Small World- it's one big attraction full of strangers from all around the world!

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Another reason the names were changed was to emphasize the fact that they are "sister resorts". Guests at POR can use the pool at POFQ and vice versa. This wasn't necessarily clear when they were Dixie Landings and French Quarter.

It is more consistent with the naming system of the All-Stars, i.e., All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Dwarful
Its not safe to pick up hitchhikers so they better start reformating The Haunted Mansion....

:lol: :lol: Your post had me laughing so hard! How true!! :lol: :lol:

BTW, the new logo at Fort Wilderness is Mickey w/ a walking stick~ hmmm, watch out if anyone gets hurt by a stick, Mickey will be blamed! :brick:

Upvote 0

Katherine

Original Poster
Originally posted by justgoofin
BTW, the new logo at Fort Wilderness is Mickey w/ a walking stick~ hmmm, watch out if anyone gets hurt by a stick, Mickey will be blamed! :brick:

:lol: :lol:

What I don't get is there's money to take care of these things but where is the money for true repairs??

Upvote 0

Becky

BTW, the new logo at Fort Wilderness is Mickey w/ a walking stick~ hmmm, watch out if anyone gets hurt by a stick, Mickey will be blamed! :brick: [/B][/QUOTE]

Disney will have to get rid of the walking stick.:rolleyes: Remember Rafiki (sp) hit Simba in the head with his:eek:

How about Mickey holding a wet noodle?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom