Why so small, Disney?

Interruption?

Original Poster
I was just looking at all the different maps of the parks around the world in my frenzied excitement about my approaching senior trip. It looks to me as though Hong Kong Disneyland is incredibly small. ESPECIALLY in comparison with the maps of such parks as EPCoT, the Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland California. Coupled with the article provided by Speck, why on Earth would the Disney Company build such a small park, especially in a land with over 1 billion people. If I made a mistake about how big the park is then I appologize, I was confused by the scale that they drew it in.

CaptainMichael

Interruption? said:
I was just looking at all the different maps of the parks around the world in my frenzied excitement about my approaching senior trip. It looks to me as though Hong Kong Disneyland is incredibly small. ESPECIALLY in comparison with the maps of such parks as EPCoT, the Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland California. Coupled with the article provided by Speck, why on Earth would the Disney Company build such a small park, especially in a land with over 1 billion people. If I made a mistake about how big the park is then I appologize, I was confused by the scale that they drew it in.
They built small because you can always add on if the demand is there. You cannot take away something after you've spent money on it. They are taking Hong Kong Disneyland one step at a time and will probably be very successful because of it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...If the bad publicity dosn`t kill it first.

To think any of BTM, HM, IASW, PotC (in any guise) were left out - these are as Disney a park as you can get. The only option to leave anything else out would be the castle itself. The HK government paid for 57% of the budget, a budget that was compartitvley small to start with after infrastructure costs.

As a comparisson,for phase one, does anyone know how much TDL cost to get open in 1983?

speck76

Interruption? said:

Disney always built the parks smaller, and expanded 2-3 years down the road.....based on need.

The two largest parks upon opening (Epcot and EuroDisneyland) both had bad effects upon the company's finances.

MGM had the same issues that HKDL is facing now.....the park was "too popular" at opening.

Dragonrider1227

For the record, I find it awfully unfair to compare ANY park to Epcot in size. Isn't Epcot like, twice the size of The Magic Kingdom? :lol:

The Mom

Premium Member
Another factor may be the availability and cost of land. WDW was built in the middle of nowhere on "cheap" land. Disney was able to buy as much as they thought they might ever need.

peter11435

Dragonrider1227 said:
Then why doesn't it have more attractions? :lol:
Well, techniclly, I suppose they needed the space for the animals which would make sense.
The Safari itself takes up more land than the Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom