Why so much hostility towards pixar?

EPCOT Explorer

Nah,I was going after the visual mass of advertisements for absolutely ANYTHING Disney in the parks... Which kinda what Pixar feels like to me...:lookaroun

nibblesandbits

Hey Nibbs!

Not gonna comment on what you said(because it is true for the most part but just on the bolded statement.)

We all know that Disney is in this to make money.It's a buisness,if you want to go to WDW in 10 years,things can't stay all fan-boyish forever:)lookaroun who,me?)and the like...But doesn't it seem that Disney's trying a bit too hard lately?Sure,they have the synergy and the hard ticket events and all the gimicks but for some strange reason,it really does not seem like the Disney of yesteryear *tried* really hard to do this.The little bit of extra magic was just part of the experience and that made it all the better.The parks just seemed so much more inviting without every thing plastered all over the place to have try and bring in revenue.

I dunno...Perhaps if Disney stopped trying like mad to draw in a specific target market or a certain demographic...We would have a much more evened out Walt Disney World.

Make sense?:veryconfu

I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much...this still is very much to do with the Pixar angst...:lol:

Hi back! :wave:

I don't know...I think they tried pretty hard in the late 80s/early 90s. Something that comes to mind is the special pre-parades they had touting their new movies..the Aladdin caravan and they did something with Mulan too, I think.

I don't think they are pushing it anymore than they did years ago.

And yes, you're making sense...I get you about the even demographic...I mean I for one would like to see new attractions based on original concepts too. However, I'm not going to rip on something new, simply b/c it's based on a Pixar entity or because Disney is trying to appeal to a specific demographic. I'll give it an honest shot. If I like it, fine...if not, that's fine too.

Do I think Disney has made some minor boo-boos lately...yes. I haven't LOVED everything Disney has done...however, I still realize that there are people out there who are enjoying the attraction...and obviously people (the general public) are enjoying all the Pixar stuff, otherwise, I don't think Disney would be focusing on it as much.

(You and your angst! :lol: )

nibblesandbits

I'm not saying it is something new at all. Obviously it isn't, Walt even named DL's castle Sleeping Beauty's Castle to promote the upcoming movie. What I'm saying is you get to a point where you are basing too much off certain franchises. Spreading the wealth insures diversification. Diversification ensures that you will appeal to a larger audience, thus increasing your business. It doesn't make sense to make multiple rides based off the same thing. A show (ie Beauty and the Beast) can be changed easily, a ride...not so much.
I understand...and agree...kinda.

However, there is one tiny difference...the attractions that Disney are building that revolve around the same movies (IE Toy Story and Finding Nemo) are in 2 totally different parks respectively. I would have a problem with it more if both attractions were in the exact same park, but they aren't. Which helps to break it up, at least a little.

krankenstein

^ Ehh, very little.

But, hey, it is what it is. We can all sit here and say what we would like to see, and talk about what we feel is better for the parks. However, at the end of the day none of us (that we know of) are sitting in the big chair in the Team Disney Building, so all this conjecture is mute.

(I know this post is horrible grammatically..deal with it :))

Dragonrider1227

I don't get it either. I'd actually LIKE to see Pixar take over Disney. At least then Disney would be run by people with heart and love for what they do again.
I do agree that Disney IS putting all their eggs in one basket which is never a good business move but then, Disney's always done this. I recall when I went to Disney World in '90, it was all Roger Rabbit and Honey I shrunk the kids.
Hey EE, does The Yeti count in your opinion?
Or those ghosts in TOT? granted, the ride has the Twilight Zone name, but the ghosts the story centers around aren't an actual Twlight Zone cast so they kinda count... maybe...

nibblesandbits

^ Ehh, very little.

But, hey, it is what it is. We can all sit here and say what we would like to see, and talk about what we feel is better for the parks. However, at the end of the day none of us (that we know of) are sitting in the big chair in the Team Disney Building, so all this conjecture is mute.

(I know this post is horrible grammatically..deal with it :))
Exactly...we must agree to disagree...and that is life. (But boy do I wish I was sitting in a chair helping to design this stuff! That would be awesome! :D )

imagineer boy

The thing I find odd is that Disney could very well go a whole year without showing any advertisments for the parks or have any promotions and they'd still get large crowds simply because Disney's ego is so huge. So why are they over promoting every thing as if they feared they'd go out of buisness at any minuite?:shrug:

jmani56

Disney has not released a big hit like those old classics in quite a while. I remember when Aladdin and Lion King came out, and the buzz surrounding those movies was leaps and bounds above anything they have produced in recent years.

Pixar's films are generating that type of buzz however, and those are the films that are relevant to children today. To say a movie like Ratatouille has no soul is just crazy to me. And recent Disney films Meet the Robinsons have been severely lacking (compared to the classics).

The classic characters are all over the parks though, in the parades, fireworks shows, merchandise, shows, etc. It would be cool to have a few more rides with these characters, but I don't think they are underexposed.

barkatozz

I personally don't have a problem with Disney using Pixar to create new rides & spice up old rides. The Living Seas was before my WDW time but from what I heard from several people, Nemo made it that much more interesting. Only ride that I've heard that was great but turned into a "character ride" and made it crappy was AE-Stitch.
I'd be willing to bet the same Pixar haters are some of the people who preferred WOM over the current Test Track. Again, before my time , HOWEVER....thanks to youtube I saw a ride-thru of WOM....oh boy Test Track REALLY spiced that up.
As far as Disney using current trends to make rides....as much as I like the show....If they make a Hanna Montana ride I'm out. :cool:

krankenstein

I personally don't have a problem with Disney using Pixar to create new rides & spice up old rides. The Living Seas was before my WDW time but from what I heard from several people, Nemo made it that much more interesting. Only ride that I've heard that was great but turned into a "character ride" and made it crappy was AE-Stitch.
I'd be willing to bet the same Pixar haters are some of the people who preferred WOM over the current Test Track. Again, before my time , HOWEVER....thanks to youtube I saw a ride-thru of WOM....oh boy Test Track REALLY spiced that up.
As far as Disney using current trends to make rides....as much as I like the show....If they make a Hanna Montana ride I'm out. :cool:

Just wanted to let you know that I am not a purist. I am glad TT replaced WOM, I like M:S better than Horizons, I am glad they added Jack to POTC etc etc etc. Like I said, not a purist, just someone who thinks Disney is a bit Pixar happy right now.

kcnole

I don't think its that people have anything against Pixar, its just that almost every new attraction is all Pixar. For example, Tomorrowland at one time never had any character tie-ins. It was a look at the future (obviously from a sci-fi type viewpoint). Now there are two pixar attractions and one other character. There's very little original attraction now in Tomorrowland and more character tie-ins. The character tie-ins used to mainly be reserved for fantasyland, now they're everywhere.

EPCOT Explorer

Hi back! :wave:

I don't know...I think they tried pretty hard in the late 80s/early 90s. Something that comes to mind is the special pre-parades they had touting their new movies..the Aladdin caravan and they did something with Mulan too, I think.

I don't think they are pushing it anymore than they did years ago.

And yes, you're making sense...I get you about the even demographic...I mean I for one would like to see new attractions based on original concepts too. However, I'm not going to rip on something new, simply b/c it's based on a Pixar entity or because Disney is trying to appeal to a specific demographic. I'll give it an honest shot. If I like it, fine...if not, that's fine too.

Do I think Disney has made some minor boo-boos lately...yes. I haven't LOVED everything Disney has done...however, I still realize that there are people out there who are enjoying the attraction...and obviously people (the general public) are enjoying all the Pixar stuff, otherwise, I don't think Disney would be focusing on it as much.

(You and your angst! :lol: )

That is true...But it just seems WAY more overly done now?I dunno?

Perhaps I should angst against that.:ROFLOL:

Exactly...we must agree to disagree...and that is life. (But boy do I wish I was sitting in a chair helping to design this stuff! That would be awesome! :D )

That's a dream come true right there...WOW,that would be fun.

The thing I find odd is that Disney could very well go a whole year without showing any advertisments for the parks or have any promotions and they'd still get large crowds simply because Disney's ego is so huge. So why are they over promoting every thing as if they feared they'd go out of buisness at any minuite?:shrug:

Exactly...Like not having YOAMD or HCOE or whatever they do is gonna make WDW boring.

Dragonrider1227

I don't think its that people have anything against Pixar, its just that almost every new attraction is all Pixar. For example, Tomorrowland at one time never had any character tie-ins. It was a look at the future (obviously from a sci-fi type viewpoint). Now there are two pixar attractions and one other character. There's very little original attraction now in Tomorrowland and more character tie-ins. The character tie-ins used to mainly be reserved for fantasyland, now they're everywhere.
I'm actually kinda glad for that because many of the new Disney characters DON'T fit in Fantasyland. Could you really see Aladdin, Jack Sparrow, or even Baloo in Fantasyland? Actually, if you look at the old Disneyland special showcasing Pirates of the Caribbean, they have Captain Hook and Mr. Smee in New Orleans Square so it seems to me they were heading for that approach even near the end of the Walt years.
Pixar's films are generating that type of buzz however, and those are the films that are relevant to children today. To say a movie like Ratatouille has no soul is just crazy to me.
I hear that. I can never understand the people who think "CGI has no heart" when you can look at the great things Pixar does with it. It's just because it's not what THEY grew up on.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
. To say a movie like Ratatouille has no soul is just crazy to me. .

Nope youve got me Ive read and re read the thread and cant find that refrence anywhere.:shrug:

And I believe most people are posting an opinion. Just because you happen to disagree with it doesnt make it a mental health issue.

hokielutz

I'll even take this a step further...Why not something ORIGINAL?

When was the last time WDI did something with a new character just for the parks-I honestly think that it's Figment.25 years ago.That's a little much if you ask me.

I really don't see the need to create a separate character just for the parks..... it really doesn't tie into Disney. I agree that Figment is a great and unique character for the Imagination pavillion, and it worked.
But why go to the well to fish out a "new" character?? Why are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Pluto not good enough for WDW?

krankenstein

I really don't see the need to create a separate character just for the parks..... it really doesn't tie into Disney. I agree that Figment is a great and unique character for the Imagination pavillion, and it worked.
But why go to the well to fish out a "new" character?? Why are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Pluto not good enough for WDW?

What's wrong with Disney allowing WDI to use there full creativity to create a unique experience not based on or incorporating any known characters?

BTW Dragonrider1227, I don't have a problem with CGI films. I find them highly enjoyable. I just would like to see Disney diversify there in park attraction development by using all the entities they have at there disposal. Disney is going to the proverbial "Pixar Well" one to many times, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom