Why not update special effects in old attractions?

johnvree

Original Poster
Note: This is not a attraction-bashing thread. I love each of the attractions mentioned below.

In a another thread about least favorite attractions, someone listed Peter Pan's Flight as their least favorite citing the rather ordinary special effects (tin foil in volcano) as the reason.

Now, I love that ride, probably because it's one of the originals and I remember it from when I was a kid. But I have to agree, it doesn't appear as though it has been updated special effect-wise since it opened 30 years ago.

So, here's my question: Why doesn't Disney periodcally update the special effects in its attrations. I'm not talking about a total rehab or refurb. Just spot replacement. For example, why not replace one of the crocodiles in the Jungle Cruise with a croc that does a little more than just pop out of the water; update the sound system in Pirates in the battle scene; throw in some new props in Snow White;

You get the idea. It seems like they ought to be able to develop a volcano that actually looks like a volcano and pop it into Peter Pan over night.

Scooter

We've come along way in the last 33 years since Disney World opened.

With todays advanced technology in sound systems and robotics, I don't see any reason that MOST of the Disney Atrractions could'nt be updated to sound and and seem more realistic.

I have a home theater system in my own living room that sounds as good or better than some of the older Disney Attractions.:lol:

This is a good point.

Now...how do we get the Disney People to spend the money and time to update everything?

jrriddle

I think we will be seeing more refurbishmets of older rides opposed to new rides. And that's ok my me.
As long as they are only upgrading the existing rides and only adding a new scene or two, no problem.
Ripping out Snow White and putting in "The Snow White X-TREME Water and Fire Super Launch Roller Coaster Adventure in 3D!" - no thanks.

g_gresham3

The Small World rehab next year will tell us how this will work. I suspect that all of these dark rides also have structural/elecrical/HVAC issues that could use some attention, as well as show effects. So I think this is something that is overdue.

As long as the core of the attraction remains, I'm all for it. Lighting alone has advanced so much since the 70's, not to mention sound technology. I think it's a great thing, and something Walt would have been doing long before now were he still around.

mickeykid79

I totally agree, New special efftects to enhance the ride experience, it will totally bring in more guess to the ride.
I think they should add the glowing green orb fromt he HM:movie into the attraction and the haunting blue glow to all the ghost.

Pirates, should add (a la Paris) a sword fight sequence. they also should add a more powerful (a la Universal) battle fight scence.

Space mountain, glowing planets along the tracks.

20k Lagoon: Alice's Curious Maze

WDWSwashbuckler

I dunno, I am kinda a fan of the vintage Disney feel. It gives those rides a certain touch.. In other words, it brings me all the way back to my kiddyhood! :lol:

johnvree

Original Poster
Originally posted by dadisneynutter
I dunno, I am kinda a fan of the vintage Disney feel. It gives those rides a certain touch.. In other words, it brings me all the way back to my kiddyhood! :lol:
I am too. That's why I say leave the structure of the ride (e.g., the storyline, path/track, etc.) alone. Just make the existing props and effects better.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
i agree that all the attractions probably need some work. But I also agree that Disney should keep the core/origin of the rides the same. No changing of tracking, music, basic theming. There's nothing wrong with progress, but if they continued to make frequent changes to "traditional" rides, then they wouldn't really be "traditional" would they?

GenerationX

I agree 100% with everything johnvree has said. As the special effects get older (and look it), an attraction loses some of its entertainment value. If left as is, it could degrade to the point where its value is purely nostalgic, which does not encourage new riders.

However, in some cases, the effects are so ahead of their time that they don't need updating, like with the Haunted Mansion. I don't think its effects have changed all that much since it opened, yet it still has a high "wow" factor. Certainly, new effects wouldn't hurt the attraction, but it's still pretty cool as it is.

ScrapIron

I know they have updated some of these types of things in Disneyland. Get the appropriate issue of "The E Ticket" and you can see how they did Alice in Wonderland, for instance. Of course, some of those things happened in 1983 when they redid Fantasyland, but I know they update AAs as technology advances, such as the auctioneer in POTC.

mrtoad

Originally posted by General Grizz
Yes..IASW does have plans to be reworked.

Haunted Mansion had these plans, but it was recently cancelled.

What are the plans for IASW?

What were the plans for the HM. I am glad they are not changing it, it is my all time favorite.

CTXRover

They have, on occasion, updated things in attractions as time has gone by. I too feel that some of the dark rides at MK could use a sprucing up, but with IASW rehab coming up, I realized they have in the past upgraded some stuff with newer technologies/effects. Examples that I can come up with off the top of my head are:

1) Great Movie Ride received new modern audio systems during last rehab.
2) Jungle Cruise: Received new adventure-style boats and some animals were re-done to look more realistic (around the time AK opened)
3)TOT: always receiving updates to drop profile, audio, and effects, especially during the drop part (I remember this being just a black shaft with nothing else when it first opened...now there is lightening strikes, "ghostly" figures, air blasts, a video incorporated into the one drop profile, louder audio, etc.)
4) Pirates of the Caribbean: The "auctioneer" animatronic is often updated as the technology of animatronics has increased.
5) Firework shows: Although they have actually changed in both look and story, the firework shows have become more and more advanced with computers running most of it and Disney's invention/development of "air cannons" to shoot of the shells (used first during Illuminations 2000) for that perfect timing with the music.
5) Re-do's of attractions: Sometimes an update means a complete change, but at least in the process everything is upgraded...take Pooh for instance, a much more "modern" dark ride than Toad..even though I think I might prefer Toad :)lookaroun: )
6) Many of the attractions have received new, up-to-date, control boards to help run things...although never noticed by guests, it helps make things easier and safer.
7) Universe of Energy...during its story rehab, the dinos here were "updated", in color at least, to match scientists new beliefs that dinos were brightly colored and not single, dark colors as those in the UOE were when it first opened.

I'm sure there's more. Its not a long list which means that they could do a lot more...but its just little things like this that would be needed. It wouldn't have to be drastic changes that all guests would notice, just something to help them keep up with the times. Then again, I don't believe rides like Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion have changed a bit and look at how they can still pack them in, even into the late hours of the night.

johnvree

Original Poster
Re: Re: Why not update special effects in old attractions?

Originally posted by raven
Money.
I have a hard time accepting that. First, Disney makes a lot of it. Second, I do not think it would be that expensive. I am not talking about revamping or redesigning an attraction. I am also not talking about developing new technology. Just apply existing technology. For example, I think everyone would agree that the dinosaurs in Dinosaur in AK look and sound better than the ones in the Universe of Energy. Why not improve the dinosaurs in UOE one at a time. Even if they did one a year, it would be a constant improvement of the attaction. That's obviously a lot better than just throwing a new coat of paint on.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
updates

To see how updating tech makes an old ride new just compare DLPs Phantom Manor, Pirates or even IASW to WDW - familiar rides but at the same time new. And these newer versions stay faithful to the originals (very important) - there are too many variations to compare, say Space Mountain but the DLP verisons are far superior - they really pulled out all the stops (and these are now 14 years old!)

The_CEO

Originally posted by johnvree
Note: This is not a attraction-bashing thread. I love each of the attractions mentioned below.

In a another thread about least favorite attractions, someone listed Peter Pan's Flight as their least favorite citing the rather ordinary special effects (tin foil in volcano) as the reason.

Now, I love that ride, probably because it's one of the originals and I remember it from when I was a kid. But I have to agree, it doesn't appear as though it has been updated special effect-wise since it opened 30 years ago.

So, here's my question: Why doesn't Disney periodcally update the special effects in its attrations. I'm not talking about a total rehab or refurb. Just spot replacement. For example, why not replace one of the crocodiles in the Jungle Cruise with a croc that does a little more than just pop out of the water; update the sound system in Pirates in the battle scene; throw in some new props in Snow White;

You get the idea. It seems like they ought to be able to develop a volcano that actually looks like a volcano and pop it into Peter Pan over night.

Maybe because, they aren't the top attractions, and perhaps they just don't want to invest in the little " Lets make the hippo brighter." details. The general public wont notice if a croc pops out a quarter of an inch farther.....

rev

Originally posted by johnvree

Speaking nostalgial, I love 'em all just like they are. And am disapointed by "PC updates" on POTC.

My 2 cents:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom