Trip Report Why not ? Booking tonight for this weekend !

We've been talking about it for awhile, but we haven't acted on it. My daughter in FL has a long weekend as we do too. The only issue was that my wife just started her new job a month ago and she was reluctant to ask for time off. She decided to ask this morning and her new manager said "Yes !" So we started looking and booking. My wife and I both have airline miles so that's taken care of. My daughter will pick us up at the airport so that's taken care of. Looks like we'll be leaving from PHL Thursday night and arriving in Orlando around midnight. Plans will be discussed tonight when we do our nightly call with our daughter. We'll have 3.5 days because our departing flight leaves from Jacksonville at 6:00 PM on Monday. We'll be able to squeeze a half day at a park Monday. We were sad that we missed the Christmas holidays at the parks this year; probably the first time in 20 yrs. This last-minute trip is a bonus so we're very excited. 😁

macefamily

Original Poster
It was time to fuel up we so stopped at our favorite quick service place. We fill the table up with appetizers and just pick as a family. I got my usual beer flight. My choices this trip were Golden Road hefeweizen, Stone Delicious IPA, North Coast Red Seal, and a hearty
lager that I forget. We lucked out and secured a table from a bunch of young guys who were pretty messed up. I'm not judging; thanks for the table. It was a nice relaxing break from the day with some tasty food and delicious beer. The drink sitting outside the flight is my daughter's Ace Space Bloody Orange hard cider.
My wife sneakily left our table and came back with this beautiful, gooey, 50th anniversary blondie. I wouldn't even call it a cookie because it was so moist. My wife wasn't a super fan of it because it did have hints of coconut in it.

IMG_1776[1].JPG
S
IMG_1778[1].JPG
IMG_1779[1].JPG

Last edited:

macefamily

Original Poster
Just some random pictures that my daughter sent me that were on her phone so I didn't have them on my laptop. First one is the bum-squad who dressed for a cool, rainy HS day, but the sun was out right after noon. You can see the blue skies in the background. I'd also like to point out that is my third Long Island Iced tea of the day. 🤪
Daughter with our Figment scores.
Quick family castle shot.
My daughter got this rock candy cake from her friend who was at Disney Springs.

social++1.jpg
IMG_4795.jpg
IMG_4780.jpg
IMG_4721.jpg

Last edited:

macefamily

Original Poster
We were lucky enough to run into some of the gang on the way out. We started looking for availability at any of the Disney lounges that may have the Dallas Cowboys playoff game which I wanted to see. We think we found the perfect spot...Rix Sports bar at Coronado Springs. This would be my first time onsite at Coronado.

IMG_1784[1].JPG
IMG_1785[1].JPG
IMG_1786[1].JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
My first time at Coronado Springs. I was very impressed with the facilities. I can see how they can handle a thousand person plus convention there. Rix's was good. We ordered the buffalo chicken dip and loaded nachos to pick at during the game. Should have ordered something else because it brought bad luck on my Cowboys 😪
Of course there's a picture of a fountain, I never pass it up.

IMG_1787[1].JPG
IMG_1788[1].JPG
IMG_1792[1].JPG
IMG_1789[1].JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
Our long weekend at the parks was done. The parks were noticeably more crowded and standby queue wait times were at least 40% longer for most attractions. I blame the new LL program; it was inevitable. If one line moves riders quicker, the other one will obviously slow down. I didn't have to come from Cape Canaveral to figure that one out. Disney's answer is, "Oh well, just pay."
We slept in and decided to stop and grab lunch at Rock and Brews in Orlando. We've been to both the Kissimmee and Orlando locations which are both great. Food is consistent, the beer selection is wide, and they allow pets in their outdoor lounge.
Wife and daughter had burgers while I had the fish tacos. Bean even gets his own menu with six selections on it which includes two doggy beers. His mom always selects the grilled chicken breast for him although I lobby for the bacon and burger patties; I never win.

IMG_1795[1].JPG
IMG_1796[1].JPG
IMG_1797[1].JPG
IMG_1798[1].JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
OK, it's a manhole cover. But I thought it was really cool. The design forging is amazing to me.
I was in Jacksonville this past weekend, and I noticed one of their covers had a conquistador design. Didn't have my camera
to document it, but I'm sure I'll be back to dog-sit in a month or two. We don't have these in Pennsylvania. I guess that's because
our manhole lids are covered with snow and ice for six months out of the year :confused:

IMG_1799[1].JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
OK, I'm a yankee. Always been. I've heard legends of this massive store in the south that provides thousands of gallons of gas and diesel every day, but also has some super tasty food. I have found it for the first time ! We don't have these in the north ! My daughter suggested we stop at the Daytona Beach Buc-ee's because she wanted some of their popcorn. We had all afternoon to get to Jacksonville. I was amazed at the variety of 'stuff' you can get there. The food preparation was crazy. They were pumping out fresh pulled pork, pulled chicken, brisket, gator...just about anything you can BBQ in FL. I bought 2 lbs of jerky from their meat counter. Wasn't that 'over the moon' about it. I have a guy in PA who only makes jerky from July to October. It's outstanding, so I'm very spoiled.

IMG_1800[1].JPG
IMG_1802[1].JPG
IMG_1803[1].JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
We hung around Buc-ee's for about a half hour. Bought my daughter the popcorn variety pack and my wife bought a pound of fudge from their fresh-made candy counter. We started back on I-95 north to Jacksonville. About 30 minutes up the road my daughter says from the backseat, "You know, there's another Buc-ee's by Jacksonville that's only about a year old." Dad's response, "We're there."
So I visited my second Buc-ee's in the same day. St. Aug Buc-ee's was pretty much the same deal as Daytona's, but it seemed a little smaller. To my surprise, right across from the Buc-ee's entrance was the entrance to the World Golf Hall of Fame. I've seen pictures, but I wanted to see it in person. Luckily we were way ahead of schedule so we drove through.

IMG_1804[1].JPG
IMG_1805[1].JPG
IMG_1806[1].JPG
IMG_1807[1].JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
We made it to the Jacksonville airport without incident. It's always tough saying goodbye to my daughter and her dog, but we know we'll see them again in the short future. Ever since most of the shops/restaurants are opening back up at JAX, I'm arriving to the airport extra early. I love the Vino Volo restaurant/store. They have daily breakfast/lunch/dinner offerings which are just small plates. The wine selection is expansive and affordable. I ordered a Cabernet Franc Blend from Italy. It was perfect with the delicious charcuterie selection we ordered.
The moon was rising as we waited at Gate 1 for our flight to Philly. It was running late. We had the opportunity to get vouchers because they overbooked, but I didn't bring my laptop so I wouldn't be able to work. Therefore, that wasn't possible.
I always enjoy a trip to FL, especially when we're able to visit the parks. I guess since we visited three times during the pandemic when the parks were the emptiest we've ever seen, we're now spoiled. It's been one month since we've come home. Last week I went down and stayed for the week in Jacksonville to watch my daughter's dog while her and a friend went down to the parks. She said it was madness. Mostly one hour waits with the major attractions clocking in at two-plus hour waits. It was a holiday weekend, but gone are the days of early 2021. We already started figuring out when our next trip will be. It's getting tougher to fly out on a whim because airfare prices are skyrocketing. We were flying down in 2021 for $75 round trip from Philly to Orlando; some specials were $49 round trip. Not anymore.
Now it's back to the real world, and our pack is happy to get things back to normal...Buzz, Belle, and Bean.

IMG_1844[1].JPG
IMG_1809[2].JPG
IMG_1820[1].JPG
IMG_1821[2].JPG
IMG_1828[1].JPG

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
@Loco_driver turned us on to Buc-ee’s and my husband went and was amazed!!! I will be heading to Daytona in April for my son’s lacrosse game and it is on my list.

Loved your trip report. Love your spontaneity and your good natured outlook toward life. We need more like you!!!

This picture was taken the other day when I landed in West Palm, looking at your dogs I thought you might get a kick out of it:
958AC642-E6EB-46EC-9CB2-47BA93B55BE8.jpeg

And yes, that is a dog wearing Gucci AND a diaper.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I too like to trample across the middle sitters.

Me too! Just like I target the people on public transport who like to use the seat next to them for their purse/backpack/groceries. Or even better: I always readjust my purse on my shoulder (by swinging it really widely) when someone wanting to get on the bus stands in the middle of the doorway for those of us trying to get off the bus 😇

cgersic

My niece lives by the St Augustine Buc-ees and was soooo excited when they opened! I have yet to set foot in the establishment, but you can bet I'm going to document it on here when it happens! :joyfull: Thanks for another great trip report!

macefamily

Original Poster
@Loco_driver turned us on to Buc-ee’s and my husband went and was amazed!!! I will be heading to Daytona in April for my son’s lacrosse game and it is on my list.

Loved your trip report. Love your spontaneity and your good natured outlook toward life. We need more like you!!!

This picture was taken the other day when I landed in West Palm, looking at your dogs I thought you might get a kick out of it:
View attachment 624277
And yes, that is a dog wearing Gucci AND a diaper.

Awesome ! Thanks for sharing. I'm embarrassed to say, but my daughter puts a diaper on her dog when she goes to work and leaves him at her place alone. That was his first year. He now seems like he's getting better at 'holding it in.' He'll be two years old in a month.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom