Why no ticket system for Disney buses?

chrissyw14

That assumes you know which bus the person will be able to get on when waiting in line. That would require holding up the entire group to sit down and count people, and make an estimate, if the current person in line will fit in 'this bus' or have to wait for the next bus... before deciding if you let the wheelchair load.

That's just not worth the tradeoff so people can ensure the wheelchair waits the same as everyone..

I think that bus drivers picking up people day after day and night after night when it is incredibly crowded should be able to tell where the cut off point that fills up the bus would be

Tom

Beta Return
If they had a HC line for each resort it would probably work a little more efficiently as they could easily load multiple families on 1 bus and know where they are going. They of course would need to have a good number of these buses to make it work.

My main concern was the human emotion element. I tend to look at things from a zero emotion, what works the fastest mentality that ignores peoples feelings which is not the best mentality for a situation like this.

It could be done by breaking the HC bus routes up into zones, just like the resorts (MK Resorts, EC Resorts, DTD Resorts, AK Resorts). Each park would have a HC bus that would pick up 2-4 disabled guests and their families at one time, and start the loop to the appropriate zone. Meanwhile, another one is dispatched to that park to replace it and maintain short waits.

Investing in a handful of short buses and revamping this system would do a number of things:

1) Improve efficiency of the bus system overall

2) Improve good will of the guests using the bus system

3) Provide a VIP-like system for wheel-bound guests, who would literally be granted front-of-line access to their (almost) very own bus for use only by their family and perhaps another group or two, with to-your-door service.

I don't see it as pawning those folks off to a second-class system. I would actually see it as a PERK. Something that would get them on a bus faster, traverse them comfortably, and drop them off at the most convenient place possible at their resort.

Tom

Beta Return
I think that bus drivers picking up people day after day and night after night when it is incredibly crowded should be able to tell where the cut off point that fills up the bus would be

Have you ever put yourself in the driver's seat of one of those buses, especially at night? First, when the interior lights are on, you can't see outside the bus (pepper's ghost...).

Secondly, there are constantly people in your field of vision, until the last sardine steps on and stops.

Third, depending on how rude or ignorant the guests are, the driver has no idea how much space standers are leaving in the back of the bus.

We don't give bus drivers much credit around here, but I will definitely go to their defense on this one. There are too many variables and obstacles for a driver to look at a bus queue and have any idea where his last guest is standing.

chrissyw14

Have you ever put yourself in the driver's seat of one of those buses, especially at night? First, when the interior lights are on, you can't see outside the bus (pepper's ghost...).

Secondly, there are constantly people in your field of vision, until the last sardine steps on and stops.

Third, depending on how rude or ignorant the guests are, the driver has no idea how much space standers are leaving in the back of the bus.

We don't give bus drivers much credit around here, but I will definitely go to their defense on this one. There are too many variables and obstacles for a driver to look at a bus queue and have any idea where his last guest is standing.

I'm not trying to not give the bus drivers credit, okay well at closing time I have seen like crowd bus directors there to help so they can be there and figure it out, that way they can see how long some people verses others have been waiting

and i do like your separate HC line idea

Investing in a handful of short buses and revamping this system would do a number of things:

1) Improve efficiency of the bus system overall

2) Improve good will of the guests using the bus system

3) Provide a VIP-like system for wheel-bound guests, who would literally be granted front-of-line access to their (almost) very own bus for use only by their family and perhaps another group or two, with to-your-door service.

I don't see it as pawning those folks off to a second-class system. I would actually see it as a PERK. Something that would get them on a bus faster, traverse them comfortably, and drop them off at the most convenient place possible at their resort.

Would you be willing to pay double what you are now for a trip to WDW in order for them to put all that into play? It would be very expensive to add more buses and more drivers. Especially ones that delivered such personal service. And then, where would they drop off at the parks?

There is a simple solution. Remember life is not fair, and sometimes when you are using free transportation it will not run perfectly. If everyone could have a bit more patience and empathy things would be much better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In't see it as pawning those folks off to a second-class system. I would actually see it as a PERK. Something that would get them on a bus faster, traverse them comfortably, and drop them off at the most convenient place possible at their resort.

This is done in most systems because not all vehicles are accessible and it always turns out worse for the people - not a perk. There simply isn't as many vehicles leading to greater waits.

Tom

Beta Return
Would you be willing to pay double what you are now for a trip to WDW in order for them to put all that into play? It would be very expensive to add more buses and more drivers. Especially ones that delivered such personal service. And then, where would they drop off at the parks?

There is a simple solution. Remember life is not fair, and sometimes when you are using free transportation it will not run perfectly. If everyone could have a bit more patience and empathy things would be much better.

This is done in most systems because not all vehicles are accessible and it always turns out worse for the people - not a perk. There simply isn't as many vehicles leading to greater waits.

Disney just ordered something like 70 new buses, 16 of which are the "accordion" style Novas.

If they can afford that, they could have also knocked a few of those off the order and bought enough short buses to pull this off. Removing the ECVs from the standard system would eliminate the need for several of the new buses they're getting - because the system would run more efficiently.

Disney just ordered something like 70 new buses, 16 of which are the "accordion" style Novas.

If they can afford that, they could have also knocked a few of those off the order and bought enough short buses to pull this off. Removing the ECVs from the standard system would eliminate the need for several of the new buses they're getting - because the system would run more efficiently.

Those new buses are to move the masses, not a select few. Removing the ECVs from the regular buses would only make the system run more efficiently for mobile people. Unless they add even more buses, and they would pass that extra cost along to everyone.

Not to mention, no matter how nice the buses would be for ECV users, it smacks too much of segregation. You know, keep the ECV people off the buses with the "normal" people. It would just look bad.

Tom

Beta Return
Those new buses are to move the masses, not a select few. Removing the ECVs from the regular buses would only make the system run more efficiently for mobile people. Unless they add even more buses, and they would pass that extra cost along to everyone.

Not to mention, no matter how nice the buses would be for ECV users, it smacks too much of segregation. You know, keep the ECV people off the buses with the "normal" people. It would just look bad.

I suppose. I just think that if I were bound to a chair or ECV, and I knew I could roll up to a dedicate queue and they'd take me and my group to my resort or other theme park - it would probably be nice, especially as I drove off past hordes of people standing in 3-bus queues.

Maybe they can just widen all the bus queues, like they are with the ride queues, so that ECVs can navigate them. Then, the ECVs get in queue with everyone else, and when they reach the front of the line, they first load on the next bus. That seems to be the only way everyone would see the system as being "fair".

DisneyJoe

How many "short buses" do you estimate that they would need to provide equal service to 20+ resorts as well as each park and water park and DTD, covering ALL park operating hours, such that any ECV guest would not need to wait any longer than a non-ECV guest?

It could be done by breaking the HC bus routes up into zones, just like the resorts (MK Resorts, EC Resorts, DTD Resorts, AK Resorts). Each park would have a HC bus that would pick up 2-4 disabled guests and their families at one time, and start the loop to the appropriate zone. Meanwhile, another one is dispatched to that park to replace it and maintain short waits.

How does this not almost double the size of the bus fleet and drivers needed?

rufio

I don't know that a ticket system is the right way to go, but I have had some less than ideal experiences with the bus system. I always stay at resorts (once ad a moderate resort and twice at deluxe) and I never fail to have at least one bad day. This March, while staying at the Saratoga Springs Villas, my fiance (it was his first visit) and I waited in line for over 2 hours for a bus to Hollywood Studios. We watched bus after bus pass us for the other parks. Several people used the phone to call dispatch and were told that a bus was on its way, but it never showed. Finally, someone complained to another driver and he called dispatch for us. Minutes later, a bus pulled in. Needless to say, that was the day that my fiance questioned whether he was a Disney fan or not. I do wish they could do something to make the process more seamless.

I don't know that a ticket system is the right way to go, but I have had some less than ideal experiences with the bus system. I always stay at resorts (once ad a moderate resort and twice at deluxe) and I never fail to have at least one bad day. This March, while staying at the Saratoga Springs Villas, my fiance (it was his first visit) and I waited in line for over 2 hours for a bus to Hollywood Studios. We watched bus after bus pass us for the other parks. Several people used the phone to call dispatch and were told that a bus was on its way, but it never showed. Finally, someone complained to another driver and he called dispatch for us. Minutes later, a bus pulled in. Needless to say, that was the day that my fiance questioned whether he was a Disney fan or not. I do wish they could do something to make the process more seamless.

When you are dealing with people, nothing is ever seamless. Nor could it ever be. Striving for better is ok, striving for perfect is unrealistic.

I've run into days like that too. That is why I now keep a $20 on me for cab fare. I would have gave up and grabbed a cab after half an hour.

JimJam

Eh, like anything else, there are people that take advantage of the system. We all know that half the people that use ECV's at WDW don't really need them.

I couldnt agree more. You should have to be disabled or something like that, not just overweight

Ralphlaw

I agree with most of the people posting here that tickets aren't the solution, but why can't there be more flexibility with drivers changing their routes? For example, you sit at the Contemporary waiting for a bus to get you to Animal Kingdom by 8:00 a.m., for the extra magic hour. You've been there since 7:30, and no AK bus has shown up in the last half hour even though you've seen 3 for Hollywood Studios, 2 for downtown disney, and 1 for the water parks. Hello, the Studio busses are riding empty, and that park isn't even opening for another hour +. Why can't the drivers be told, or have the authority, to switch to AK where we have pent up demand with dozens of people waiting.

It seems a system of video cameras, computer systems, basic intelligence, or common sense could intervene. I don't see tickets as any type of solution for this, but rigid routes are certainly the culprit.

By the way, if your reservation is fast approaching, get a cab. We do this at least once during every trip.

jtizzle1023

Disney can only do so much honestly, so people are supposed to know exactly when they wanna go home? What happens if they miss there time are they stuck at the park forever?

wylde75

1st thought: I think that if Disney were to enforce the resort guests only on transportation it might help some. Not much but some. I have seen on several occasions people on buses going to a resort only to get in their car and leave.

2nd thought: A possible VIP bus that serves different areas. Ak area resorts one bus. Hs area another bus and so on. Users pay a fee to use the bus and have seperate boarding areas for said bus. Only problem is by the time the one bus makes all the stops, probably quicker for standard transportation anyway,

3rd thought: If it bothers you that much, dont use it. As one poster said its expected. I like watching peoples excitement as they get closer to the parks. Ive met some really interesting people waiting for buses.

Ralphlaw

[QUOTE=wylde75;4931735]1st thought: I think that if Disney were to enforce the resort guests only on transportation it might help some. Not much but some. I have seen on several occasions people on buses going to a resort only to get in their car and leave.

How? Tickets that slow down the process even more? Angering legitimate guests and passholders who want to hit a resort restaurant or go to another park?

2nd thought: A possible VIP bus that serves different areas. Ak area resorts one bus. Hs area another bus and so on. Users pay a fee to use the bus and have seperate boarding areas for said bus. Only problem is by the time the one bus makes all the stops, probably quicker for standard transportation anyway,

Again, sounds like tickets or passes that slow down the process even more. It also runs against the notion that everyone is treated nearly the same. But now we have snooty VIP buses? Some of that kind of route stuff seems to be happening already, by the way.

3rd thought: If it bothers you that much, dont use it. As one poster said its expected. I like watching peoples excitement as they get closer to the parks. Ive met some really interesting people waiting for buses.[/QUOTE]

Cabs are always available somehow. Some delays are inevitable. Make the most of it, and try to give yourself plenty of time.

AylaRanzz

During my last trip to Disney, I found their bus system to be much like the bus systems in Boston or Chicago or anywhere else that has public transportation and as a person who used to have to take public transportation to school and work, the waiting part is exactly the same as in Disney. There have been days where I waited in the hot sun or the freezing cold for almost half an hour for a bus to get to where I needed to be, so what's the difference between that and waiting for a bus from the parks to your hotel or vice versa? All I can think is that the OP has not had to take public transportation regularly outside of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom