Why no Oswald at WDW

CountryBearFan

I agree with those who said that Disney has full ownership of Oswald now as of 2006.

Universal only owns the Lantz-produced Oswald shorts. They have no ownership of the character anymore.

The Oswald character is now fully-owned by Disney, along with the original 26 Disney-produced Oswald shorts.

216bruce

The settlement was for the copyright of the character of Oswald to be transferred to the Disney Co. So, it would seem that the character and certainly the Disney produced shorts are now owned by Disney. The Universal shorts may or may not be shared, but anything new (Oswald in Tokyo, Epic Mickey, new plush, etc. ) is Disney's as they hold copyright.

Clever Name

The settlement was for the copyright of the character of Oswald to be transferred to the Disney Co. So, it would seem that the character and certainly the Disney produced shorts are now owned by Disney. The Universal shorts may or may not be shared, but anything new (Oswald in Tokyo, Epic Mickey, new plush, etc. ) is Disney's as they hold copyright.

I agree with those who said that Disney has full ownership of Oswald now as of 2006.

Universal only owns the Lantz-produced Oswald shorts. They have no ownership of the character anymore.

The Oswald character is now fully-owned by Disney, along with the original 26 Disney-produced Oswald shorts.

"In February 2006, as part of a deal to secure sportscaster Al Michaels for NBC Sports, NBC Universal sold or sublicensed the 26 Disney-produced Oswald cartoons to The Walt Disney Company. Disney also acquired character rights to its version of Oswald."

Source:

http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/profiles/oswald/

:wave:

skellington22

"In February 2006, as part of a deal to secure sportscaster Al Michaels for NBC Sports, NBC Universal sold or sublicensed the 26 Disney-produced Oswald cartoons to The Walt Disney Company. Disney also acquired character rights to its version of Oswald."

Source:

http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/profiles/oswald/

:wave:

I had already told you that Clever Name... your insisting is their version of Oswald... but thats the Oswald that was always associated with Disney... so what does it matter.. its still Oswald... and they can use that character however they please... in the Disney version of it

Mountaineer1024

I don't know if anyone will see this now, but apparently the reason Oswald cant be in WDW is because of a contract that keeps him in california, I was told this by someone in a discord group, they were told this by a cast member. Sadly, there is NO evidence about the contract on the internet. I'm assuming that chapek made the contract when he was in charge of the parks, and since no one knows where he is now, I assume chapek fled with the conract to have that 1 percent power in his hands.
Screenshot_20230108-131111_Discord.jpg

Last edited:

MrPromey

I don't know if anyone will see this now, but apparently the reason Oswald cant be in WDW is because of a contract that keeps him in california, I was told this by someone in a discord group, they were told this by a cast member. Sadly, there is NO evidence about the contract on the internet. I'm assuming that chapek made the contract when he was in charge of the parks, and since no one knows where he is now, I assume chapek fled with the conract to have that 1 percent power in his hands.View attachment 699539
No offense to you but this statement by "Ozzie" makes no sense at all.

California Adventure is wholly owned by the Walt Disney Co.

There would be no contracts like they're describing and I can't imagine any benefit to the company at all by creating a policy flat out restricting the use of the character at WDW.

I imagine the reason we don't see much about him is that 98% of guests at wdw would have no idea who the character is.

He's an important part of Disney's history but to the average park guest, totally out of context, he'd be a curiosity, at most.

Last edited:

Mountaineer1024

No offense to you but this statement by "Ozzie" makes no sense at all.

California Adventure is wholly owned by the Walt Disney Co.

There would be no contracts like they're describing and I can't imagine any benefit to the company at all by creating a policy flat out restricting the use of the character at WDW.

I imagine the reason we don't see much about him is that 98% of guests would have no idea who the character is.

He's an important part of Disney's history but to the average park guest, totally out of context, he'd be a curiosity at most.
I agree with you 100 percent, it doesn't make sense, but apparently its the truth. but here's what else I noticed about the meet and greet, he will be in florida sometimes, but only for VIP people such as vacation club, cast members, and runDisney particiants whenever Oswald is the themed character for the race, like back in 2019 and 2020. the meet and greet system for oswald is very backwards

Ghost93

Historically, Oswald is a very important character, but most people have no idea who he is. If Disney wants to feature him in the parks, they need to create more content featuring Oswald so people know who the character is. Feature him in some new shorts, have him and Mickey star in a movie, etc.

Maybe there could be a House of Mouse revival where Oswald is one of the main characters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Historically, Oswald is a very important character, but most people have no idea who he is. If Disney wants to feature him in the parks, they need to create more content featuring Oswald so people know who the character is. Feature him in some new shorts, have him and Mickey star in a movie, etc.

Maybe there could be a House of Mouse revival where Oswald is one of the main characters.
There is ALOT of Oswald merch rolling out for the 100th thing over the last month of so…it’s really good. If you’re so inclined

Mountaineer1024

if only the disney+ show wasn't cancelled, that would have been a great start

MrPromey

I agree with you 100 percent, it doesn't make sense, but apparently its the truth. but here's what else I noticed about the meet and greet, he will be in florida sometimes, but only for VIP people such as vacation club, cast members, and runDisney particiants whenever Oswald is the themed character for the race, like back in 2019 and 2020. the meet and greet system for oswald is very backwards
I think the meet and greet situation, in this regard, makes sense.

Everything you've described where he can be seen are events/offerings for guests that would be more into the Disney fandom.

Each character has a unique autograph and personality style and cast who want to be "friends" of characters (or whatever they call them) have to be trained on them and in a sense "certified" to handle that character so it's often more involved than just trotting a furry out.

Beyond that, it would come down to business and money.

For new movies, Disney Studios normally pays for the meet-and-greet setups as a part of their marketing budget.

That's why you'll see new characters and then after the movie's wide release, they quietly disappear unless the character proved to be a major draw - the studios budget has been exhausted and P&R doesn't want to pay to maintain it.

For everything else, you've got to consider there is limited budget and if you're a park manager who needs a character that requires training and costs money to showcase, do you go with something in high demand like one of the fab five or a princess or do you go with an obscure black-and-white character that, outside of a Nintendo Wii game hasn't had any major new content in nearly a century?

A t-shirt or set of ears or even a Run-Disney medallion are all things pretty easy to pop out but consistently having a character in the parks is much more of a headache.

If he appears regularly at Disney's California Adventure that also makes a little bit of sense considering that after the re-do, the theme was partially changed to focus on Walt Disney's experience and history and again, Oswald's an important part of that so the context is there for him.

I suppose they could rework One Man's Dream to put more info about him there and then a meet and greet there might make some sense but again, money.

DL gets lots of nice things like Peter Pan upgrades and modern working final effects to Big Thunder Mountain that we don't on the east coast because TDO is cheap.

Doesn't that seem like a simpler and easier answer than something someone on reddit said they heard from a bus driver front line cast member?*

For what it's worth, I like the character and am into the history but I can understand why TDO wouldn't see it our way.

*That someone working an attraction said that may have very well been true but we get fed BS all the time from cast. I was once told back in the late 90's they were planning a Disney Villains' park between MK and Epcot and that there would be a stop for it added to the Epcot monorail line for it. Putting aside how that would overburden the existing monorail system, I'm still waiting to hear news of them breaking ground on that one twenty-five years later. ;)

Last edited:

Mountaineer1024

I think the meet and greet situation, in this regard, makes sense.

Everything you've described where he can be seen are events/offerings for guests that would be more into the Disney fandom.

Each character has a unique autograph and personality style and cast who want to be "friends" of characters (or whatever they call them) have to be trained on them and in a sense "certified" to handle that character so it's often more involved than just trotting a furry out.

Beyond that, it would come down to business and money.

For new movies, Disney Studios normally pays for the meet-and-greet setups as a part of their marketing budget.

That's why you'll see new characters and then after the movie's wide release, they quietly disappear unless the character proved to be a major draw - the studios budget has been exhausted and P&R doesn't want to pay to maintain it.

For everything else, you've got to consider there is limited budget and if you're a park manager who needs a character that requires training and costs money to showcase, do you go with something in high demand like one of the fab five or a princess or do you go with an obscure black-and-white character that, outside of a Nintendo Wii game hasn't had any major new content in nearly a century?

A t-shirt or set of ears or even a Run-Disney medallion are all things pretty easy to pop out but consistently having a character in the parks is much more of a headache.

If he appears regularly at Disney's California Adventure that also makes a little bit of sense considering that after the re-do, the theme was partially changed to focus on Walt Disney's experience and history and again, Oswald's an important part of that so the context is there for him.

I suppose they could rework One Man's Dream to put more info about him there and then a meet and greet there might make some sense but again, money.

DL gets lots of nice things like Peter Pan upgrades and modern working final effects to Big Thunder Mountain that we don't on the east coast because TDO is cheap.

Doesn't that seem like a simpler and easier answer than something someone on reddit said they heard from a bus driver front line cast member?*

*That someone working an attraction said that may have very well been true but we get fed BS all the time from cast. I was once told back in the late 90's they were planning a Disney Villains' park between MK and Epcot and that there would be a stop for it added to the Epcot monorail line for it. Putting aside how that would overburden the existing monorail system, I'm still waiting to hear news of them breaking ground on that one twenty-five years later. ;)
I understand, it's just my concern goes out to oswald fans that find it the easiest to access WDW, but can't afford the any of the events, or any other disney property, not just with money, but the time to have to themselves

ppete1975

Disneyland fans are more walt disney (the person) fans and the history of the parks. They are also locals that get alot of newer stuff to keep it fresh, most of whom know who oswald is. Disneyworld has alot of tourists and people from other countries, that may not know oswald, and would rather see mickey.
There is also the cheapness factor, Paris has tons of characters, disneyland has alot of specialty characters, disney world in my opinion likes to stick to the most famous characters and sticks with them (not saying there arent one offs), but the other parks seem to have more unique characters.

Mountaineer1024

I was going through everything I knew a little while ago, and I came down to this, this is my last point. I think the reason that Disney thinks or maybe even assumes that Oswald wouldn't be a popular meet and greet in Orlando for the general public is because they didn't even try in the first place. If they did, I would have seen photos or even videos of him roaming around magic kingdom or Hollywood studios. Disney has to stop thinking for us, and actually ask people if they want to see Oswald in the parks. Again, this is my last opinion.

Goofyernmost

I was going through everything I knew a little while ago, and I came down to this, this is my last point. I think the reason that Disney thinks or maybe even assumes that Oswald wouldn't be a popular meet and greet in Orlando for the general public is because they didn't even try in the first place. If they did, I would have seen photos or even videos of him roaming around magic kingdom or Hollywood studios. Disney has to stop thinking for us, and actually ask people if they want to see Oswald in the parks. Again, this is my last opinion.
I agree with why they haven't tried to use Oswald in the parks. WDW and the rest of Disney Parks, were not built based on Oswald. Oswald was stolen from Walt years before. So long ago that practically everyone that had any exposure to Oswald is now dead. Only the comparatively few that have studied or are familiar with Disney history have even heard the name. The demand and general public awareness of the character wouldn't draw much of a crowd on any given day. It is good for those that are deep into the nostalgia angle and are well versed on the character and it's origins would be slightly interested in it at all. The few trinkets that are now offered to the few that are aware is more than enough. There are far more familiar characters that need to be front and center help ease the burden on the other attractions. Actually Roger Rabbit is quite similar to Oswald and much more recent and still doesn't have enough pull to be at WDW.

Mountaineer1024

I agree with why they haven't tried to use Oswald in the parks. WDW and the rest of Disney Parks, were not built based on Oswald. Oswald was stolen from Walt years before. So long ago that practically everyone that had any exposure to Oswald is now dead. Only the comparatively few that have studied or are familiar with Disney history have even heard the name. The demand and general public awareness of the character wouldn't draw much of a crowd on any given day. It is good for those that are deep into the nostalgia angle and are well versed on the character and it's origins would be slightly interested in it at all. The few trinkets that are now offered to the few that are aware is more than enough. There are far more familiar characters that need to be front and center help ease the burden on the other attractions. Actually Roger Rabbit is quite similar to Oswald and much more recent and still doesn't have enough pull to be at WDW.
I agree with this, but it just seems like a good time to pull him into WDW now because of all the new 100 years of wonder merch for him, I've seen so many people buying the new Oswald merch in Magic Kingdom, Epcot, disney springs, you name it. If he doesn't appear in the next few months, I wonder if Iger is saving his appearance announcement for the next DestinationD23 this september.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom