Why no Oswald at WDW

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
It really comes down to staffing and, to a lesser extent, costs. Why have Oswald, Robin Hood, Perla & Suzy for example when you can have 4 people playing Mickey in one reliable location? WDW guests “expect” certain characters in certain locations because that’s how the system has been groomed. No guest can complain they didn’t see Mickey or had to wait too long when he’s stuck in a box all day.

Mountaineer1024

It really comes down to staffing and, to a lesser extent, costs. Why have Oswald, Robin Hood, Perla & Suzy for example when you can have 4 people playing Mickey in one reliable location? WDW guests “expect” certain characters in certain locations because that’s how the system has been groomed. No guest can complain they didn’t see Mickey or had to wait too long when he’s stuck in a box all day.
If it comes down to costs, then in my opinion WDW wasted a ton on the star wars hotel that costs a fortune to get into

Disstevefan1

TWDC can't afford to spend money on things that does not make them money...... Oh wait....... Never mind. ;)

Goofyernmost

I agree with this, but it just seems like a good time to pull him into WDW now because of all the new 100 years of wonder merch for him, I've seen so many people buying the new Oswald merch in Magic Kingdom, Epcot, disney springs, you name it. If he doesn't appear in the next few months, I wonder if Iger is saving his appearance announcement for the next DestinationD23 this september.
If you have seen the early drawings of Oswald, it would be very hard to duplicate that stick figure drawing into a recognisable form and probably would cost a lot of money for an iffy at best crowd drawing. Artist renderings would be much more realistic. I understand that Oswald was an original Walt creation, but it was taken from him long before he came up with the real bread and butter that basically was Oswald with a thin wire tail and round ears. Oswald is responsible for the success of Mickey by his absence. Ironic, but factual. He is a historic icon but not a part of what actually built the Walt Disney Company. I'm sure Walt had a lot of things that never saw the light of day and we just don't know about them. Heck, what about the dancing skeletons? They don't have a place in WDW either. No one has the memories of Oswald like they do with Mickey. That is the difference.

Goofyernmost

TWDC can't afford to spend money on things that does not make them money...... Oh wait....... Never mind. ;)
That is correct, but most of those things that didn't pan out were not tried and true, they were just guesses. When you feel positive that it will not fly you don't push it off a cliff, whereas, if you think it will, then you push away and hope for an updraft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom