Why No New Country Pavilion?

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Yes, threads have been made about discussion as to what SHOULD be added to WS, I'm just wondering why no new additions have actually been made? It's not because of neglect when obviously FW does get a fair share of loving (if it's enough is a whole other debate though I think it is). I mean, just over the last few years the place has gotten Mission: Space, Soarin' and the SSE refurb. So what's the deal with WS? I understand that initial concepts such as Israel or Iran would be problematic given today's climate or an African-style pavilion because that can now be found at AK, but there are so many untapped options. Switzerland, Spain, Brazil, Australia... Really, we have endless options, not to mention the idea of adding attractions to existing pavilions.

It really got me thinking after reading a MiceAge article that disputed both the argument that there's no space left and that a country would have to invest in it - really only the Morocco area got full national intervening in the creative and artistic process, and Norway was the only country to be almost fully sponsored. So, any official reason for lack of WS, or is it just something that's sort of forgotten over at TDO? Thoughts, facts? I'd love to hear people shed some light on the subject...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
A lot of people have wondered the same thing over the years. At one point there was even signage trumpeting the addition of Spain and it never went anywhere. Now there is a strong rumor for Brazil. I don't have my hopes up yet, since there have been multiple rumors for the additions of other countries and all have produced naught.

Of course, there have also been rumors of attraction additions to. With the recent exception of the El Rio Del Tiempo re-make, those have proved fruitless too. My guess is that they're happy with the money chops of WS and figure having live entertainment at most of the countries is enough. In spirit, I'm with you. A few new additions would be great.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Couldn't an E-Ticket ride bring in that much more profit? It would definitely attract more people to the WS area of the park.

harryk

Many years ago, during one of the WDW tours, the guide said that the countries paid for the location and had to have approval of the design of their buildings. He said that there were several areas open for development and at that time Russia (the Soviet Union at the time) was considering placing a pavilion and using St. Basil's (onion domes and all) as the design.

As you can see - it has never happend.

This was all during the 2000 celebrations.

But it was interesting in learning that the sponsor paid the tab. Possibly that is the problem now.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Interesting. That's exactly the type of response MiceAge insisted isn't the reason (money and/or country's creative input). I'm sure Disney would love for something to be fully sponsored but it's not as if it's a requirement for them to build something.

RonAnnArbor

Actually -- the money IS a requirement....and it has been since the first pavilions opened.

World Showcase is exclusively paid for by the countries that have pavilions there -- while WDW does the design and building, it is up to the country (or more specifically, corporations that donate to that country) to pay for the pavilion, the attractions housed therein, and anything else associated with it and it's upkeep.

Unless someone has a few billion extra dollars just hanging around they want to donate to WDW, then don't count on seeing anything new.

There are countless books out on the financial aspects of WDW, Epcot, and the like.....see DISNEY WARS for one. It spells out pretty clearly the financial obligations for World Showcase.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
RonAnnArbor, take a quick read through this:
Two Epcot Myths
I don't know what you've been reading but I count on Miceage. They've proven to be a very reliable and knowledgable site to all things Disney.

RonAnnArbor

I don't think you read that article carefully...it clearly says that at THE BEGINNING that was not how Disney imagined it. That IS now entirely the case that company sponsorship IS a requirement. I already referred you to a good source to start.You need to be aware that Miceage partakes of Disney Enterprises Cool-Aid.

MarkTwain

Yep, the fact of the matter is that Disney doesn't want to pay for the majority of the expense of a national pavilion. Their ideal scenario - and what in fact happened for most of the existing pavilions - is that a country will step in and pay for most of the pavilion, while Disney does the design work with the overseeing approval from the country involved. Obviously, with the ongoing economic issues, most countries aren't willing to drop tens/hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars into a theme park attraction in a foreign country, which they see as having little or no economic benefit. Disney has managed to court a few countries over the years (Spain, Israel, Russia, Switzerland, some others I think), but in most cases political or other issues have gotten in the way before the check could be signed.

It is theoretically possible Disney that could pay for a pavilion entirely on their own - as they did with Canada - but in this day and age I wouldn't count on it. What we might see are some countries wanting to increase their PR and familiarity on a global scale, or otherwise want to boost tourism, and thereby be willing to pay for a pavilion. This is why I personally find Brazil a possible scenario - this is the exact kind of thing they might do to correspond to their upcoming Olympics and World Cup, IMO. :)

wizards8507

Couldn't an E-Ticket ride bring in that much more profit? It would definitely attract more people to the WS area of the park.

No.

E-tickets bleed profit. They don't need to "attract" more people to the WS area of the park. They go there all by their lonesome. The thing that generates profit is IllumiNations and great restaurants. IllumiNations keeps people in the park until closing and encourages them to eat a table service meal (possibly with drinks), which earns WDW a pretty penny.

ParkMan73

Yep - that pretty much sums it up.

Disney is a corporation, if they saw an economic benefit in having another pavilion, they certainly could. While Disney may prefer to have someone else pay for the pavilion, they could (and would) certainly pay for it themselves if they saw clear economic benefit.

The real reason none have been built is that Disney doesn't see that building another pavilion would bring in enough $$$ to make it worth their while.

ScorpionX

With the massive rumor going about lately concerning Brazil, it will probably be discussed at Destination D this year, as well as the Studios' two expansions: George Lucas and Pixar.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
I don't think you read that article carefully...it clearly says that at THE BEGINNING that was not how Disney imagined it. That IS now entirely the case that company sponsorship IS a requirement. I already referred you to a good source to start.You need to be aware that Miceage partakes of Disney Enterprises Cool-Aid.
Sure, at the beginning. But then again that's more or less the only time a pavilion actually HAS been added.
And lets just say for argument's sake that country payment is a requirement, why on earth would that prevent them from adding on to exisiting pavilions (like oh say that long rumored coaster attraction designated for Japan)?

wizards8507 said:
E-tickets bleed profit. They don't need to "attract" more people to the WS area of the park. They go there all by their lonesome. The thing that generates profit is IllumiNations and great restaurants. IllumiNations keeps people in the park until closing and encourages them to eat a table service meal (possibly with drinks), which earns WDW a pretty penny.
You bring up a good point. While I disagree a good E-ticket attraction would bleed profit, the fact that RoE exists probably attracts people regardless. Thing is, I remember being at Epcot with my family and I remember it took a lot of persuation on my part to get my siblings over to that area of the park. If I weren't such a Disney geek they probably would've hung out at FW until the show started. Sad, but they really do represent a whole generation that is much more interested in the rush and thrills, something that WS has little of.

Prototype82

Disney doesn't care. They will make money off of existing shops and restaurants regardless. Years ago, the first 9 pavilions didn't require sponsors. They were even scheduled to have expansions with attractions all paid for by Disney. Then they created a policy. No expansions without sponsors. $$$ Despite the fact we have incomplete pavilions and we need one more country, it won't happen unless someone chips in. Heck, we're lucky we got the brilliant restaurant and shop expansions that we got last year in Italy, Mexico, France, and Germany. At least the company realizes we need new and authentic experiences there and not just irrelevant character tie-ins. I'm taking this Brazil rumor with a grain of salt but I'm crossing my fingers.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I dunno but I think at least two or more of the WS pavilions need an attraction. I particularly like all of the river rides, but I hope we wouldn't just get another Circle Vision, or a regular movie. :hammer:

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion :king:

Choodles

No.

Sorry this just wrong. You really think that if they had an E coaster in WS it wouldnt draw people? That is crazy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom