Why no ElecTRONica for DHS or PI?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Once again, DL (DCA) has added to their list of nighttime entertainment while WDW sits and watches. TDO has certainly missed the boat on this one. ElecTRONica would have been the perfect addition to either DHS or Pleasure Island. DHS desperately needs nighttime excitement since the reduction of Fantasmic performances and/or it could have easily added some excitement to the darkened piece of real estate known as Pleasure Island. Its seems from the reviews at DCA last night that the TDA has another hit on it's hands, while TDO just sits on it's hands.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Or Tomorrowland. They have that stage, an arcade, and the preview could have been in MILF.
Yes, I thought of that too, but the MK doesn't serve alcohol though, whereas like DCA, DHS and PI do. The MK also doesn't need to attract more guests like DHS and PI do.

tampabrad

No nighttime fun at WDW.

Take WDW transportation back to your WDW resort, eat WDW snacks, get to sleep so you can get up early and spend more money at WDW.

Mammymouse

Maybe TDO is waiting to see if it is successful in Disneyland and if the Tron movie is well received. That way there is an overwhelming reason to put it in Florida. Sort of like politics - its all about the polls and ratings where the money goes.

TP2000

Or Tomorrowland. They have that stage, an arcade, and the preview could have been in MILF.

This came up in the Disneyland section now that elecTRONIica has opened to rave reviews and exceeded expectations.

But I was thinking that WDW management should have done a version for Epcot's Future World area. They could really play up the early 80's techno-vibe there, and that section of theme park is perfect. They've got the indoor and outdoor space, they've got the architecture, they've got a section of major theme park that is nearly abandoned after sundown, they've got the ability and resources. They could do it even bigger and better than Disneyland.

Disney-Electronica-Party.jpg
Disney-Electronica.jpg

But even with all that going for them and several areas in several theme parks crying out for this type of attention, they never seem to come up with the will or the checkbook in the Team Disney Orlando building to do this sort of stuff.

It's truly bizarre how differently the two American theme park properties are managed and operated. :veryconfu

TP2000

I kind of hope DCA keeps it since its unique and that park is getting some great stuff, I hate to see every little thing cloned. The Imagineers did some great work on it, why not create an entirely new show for WDW?

elecTRONica at DCA only runs through January 2nd. Most of the area where it happens becomes a huge construction zone to build Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle theater through 2011 and the first half of 2012. It's just a seasonal thing, and a replacement for the summer Glow Fest party they had in that same space through Labor Day.

I was a huge fan of Glow Fest, as it was not only a blast, but it really packed people into a corner of DCA that was generally abandoned after sundown. Glow Fest was the sleeper hit of the summer for DCA, and a perfect place to wait for your World of Color Fastpass time to be called.

DCA Glow Fest Summer 2010
IMG_3382.jpg

But elecTRONIica seems to have kicked that up a few more notches, and themed this to a hip new movie instead of just general summertime revelry and flashing $10 cocktails.

I'll say this again, but Meg Crofton and her Team Disney Orlando executive team should fly out a couple dozen Disneyland managers and pick their brains on how to keep theme parks fresh and crisp and ever-changing. :lol:

jt04

elecTRONica at DCA only runs through January 2nd. Most of the area where it happens becomes a huge construction zone to build Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle theater through 2011 and the first half of 2012. It's just a seasonal thing, and a replacement for the summer Glow Fest party they had in that same space through Labor Day.

I was a huge fan of Glow Fest, as it was not only a blast, but it really packed people into a corner of DCA that was generally abandoned after sundown. Glow Fest was the sleeper hit of the summer for DCA, and a perfect place to wait for your World of Color Fastpass time to be called.

DCA Glow Fest Summer 2010
IMG_3382.jpg

But elecTRONIica seems to have kicked that up a few more notches, and themed this to a hip new movie instead of just general summertime revelry and flashing $10 cocktails.

I'll say this again, but Meg Crofton and her Team Disney Orlando executive team should fly out a couple dozen Disneyland managers and pick their brains on how to keep theme parks fresh and crisp and ever-changing. :lol:

In the short term they could easily add this to Future World east and make WoL the epicenter of a nightly show/activities. If it was plussed enough it could even work as a seperate ticket event. Imagine a plussed version with Mission Space and Test Track added for good measure, projections on SSE and other additions. And it is not like the area is being used at night anyway. Crowds departing Illuminations would not be hindered leaving and I'm sure more than a few would see it and buy a ticket. Cash cow!

TP2000

In the short term they could easily add this to Future World east and make WoL the epicenter of a nightly show/activities. If it was plussed enough it could even work as a seperate ticket event. Imagine a plussed version with Mission Space and Test Track added for good measure, projections on SSE and other additions. And it is not like the area is being used at night anyway. Crowds departing Illuminations would not be hindered leaving and I'm sure more than a few would see it and buy a ticket. Cash cow!

Yup, exactly. Epcot's Future World seems perfect for a WDW version of elecTRONica.

I didn't go to DCA last night, but reports are that elecTRONica was packed and there were huge lines for expensive cocktails and food all night. That alone would seem to pay for the thing, especially considering that prior to 2010 this was a section of DCA that was lightly attended in the day and virtually abandoned after sundown.

Heck, Flynn's Arcade is in an old food court that closed around 2002 after DCA bombed and was way overbuilt with shops and dining. It's been sitting there empty for years, and now people line up to go inside and give Disney dollars to exchange for video game tokens that they keep as souvenirs. That's more free money for Disney in a previously abandoned building.

So much potential for WDW here, particularly in Future World! :D

jt04

Yup, exactly. Epcot's Future World seems perfect for a WDW version of elecTRONica.

I didn't go to DCA last night, but reports are that elecTRONica was packed and there were huge lines for expensive cocktails and food all night. That alone would seem to pay for the thing, especially considering that prior to 2010 this was a section of DCA that was lightly attended in the day and virtually abandoned after sundown.

Heck, Flynn's Arcade is in an old food court that closed around 2002 after DCA bombed and was way overbuilt with shops and dining. It's been sitting there empty for years, and now people line up to go inside and give Disney dollars to exchange for video game tokens that they keep as souvenirs. That's more free money for Disney in a previously abandoned building.

So much potential for WDW here, particularly in Future World! :D

I just thought of something. They could have the Tronorail come through about 11:00 PM and stop on that side of Epcot and add projections on it too. Maybe have some characters repel out of it or who knows what. This is getting good. :lol:

Mammymouse

Futureworld in EPCOT is .. well is supposed to be .. about the future - right? A version of ElecTRONica would work for me! It doesn't have to be exactly like California but could be "plussed". Hmm, I think I've heard that word "plussed" somewhere else before;)!

mickey2008.1

It would be great to have some new entertainment at night time. Especially FW and DHs. PI/DTD is dead, so dont waste time or money it. Now that FW has extended its hours somewhat, maybe this is in the plans. One can only hope.

_Scar

Sorry, but this does not get my approval.

It does seem like fun, but it's a quick fix that works well with DCA since the whole place is practically covered in walls and they needed it.

It all seems very night club. Having this right after an epic performance of IllumiNations would kill the serious/proud feeling imho.

Maybe it's because I'm not a big party person, but I just don't like any of these events in parks :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom