Why no Australia Park?

Dunston

Original Poster
So far there are now Disney Resorts in every corner of the Globe except for Australia? Is there a reason for not putting a park and resort there? Australians are very funny. COme to think of it, there isn't even an Australia pavillion in World Showcase.

TwilightZone

Sorry that this is country-ist, but my assumption is that it is because Australia is full of deadly creatures. Kind of hard to keep those away compared to America's creatures.

Last edited:

GVentola

I've thought about this myself. They could call it "Disney Down Under", and they could have multiple theme parks.

justintheharris

So far there are now Disney Resorts in every corner of the Globe except for Australia? Is there a reason for not putting a park and resort there? Australians are very funny. COme to think of it, there isn't even an Australia pavillion in World Showcase.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG
But I believe I once heard that Disney looked into building a park in Sydney but the local governments did not want a Disney park to undermine Australia's tourism industry.

Robbiem

I dont think Australia has the population to support a disney resort. Its quite a distance from other countries and its main tourist market is Asia which already has disney resorts so a park there could damage hong kong or the other parks.

Perhaps some sort of smaller regional park or a alulani style place could work

BTW I completely agree that an auzzie presence in Epcot or animal kingdom would be a good addition to the stateside parks

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My first thought would be that the population is too low.

By comparison, the population of state of Florida is just a few million under the entire county of Australia. Expand the radius to an 8-10 hour drive and WDW has more than 50 million people to pull from. Change that to a 6 hour flight and you pretty much have the entire continental US.

crxbrett

I dont think Australia has the population to support a disney resort. Its quite a distance from other countries and its main tourist market is Asia which already has disney resorts so a park there could damage hong kong or the other parks.

Perhaps some sort of smaller regional park or a alulani style place could work

I think you nailed it exactly on the head. And the idea of a smaller park or an Aulani type of resort is more likely to happen if Disney ever did go to the Oceania region. Just for stats sake, Brazilians go to Florida all the time, which is nearly the same exact distance between Hong Kong and Sydney.

If I were living in Oceania somewhere, whether Australia or New Zealand or wherever - i would want a Disney park, too. But I don't think it is ever likely going to happen.

BTW I completely agree that an auzzie presence in Epcot or animal kingdom would be a good addition to the stateside parks

I forget which thread it was in, but I mentioned this a few weeks ago. It kind of puzzles me that there is not a Oceania region in Animal Kingdom still. That area is full of interesting and quite unique critters, creatures, fish and birds. Disney's missing an opportunity with that I feel like. I know there are kangaroos in the Discovery Island area, but that's about it.

Damon7777

So far there are now Disney Resorts in every corner of the Globe except for Australia?.

Every corner? I wouldn't call France, East Asia and USA every corner of the world.

Way underpopulated to justify the usual full Park, 2+ hotel and "Downtown Disney/CityWalk" like setup.
California and the Tokyo megalopolis outpopulate Australia. Its biggest city is what Melbourne? Sydney? With well under 6 million, right? You had better come to the table with noticeably more folk living there before Disney will setup.

Last edited:

jloucks

Sorry that this is country-ist, but my assumption is that it is because Australia is full of deadly creatures. Kind of hard to keep those away compared to America's creatures.

I always thought 'roos were super sketchy. Probably the issue right there.

Or just demand. Low population, long way away. Other parks to choose from. That sorta thing.

Dunston

Original Poster
Everybody seems to raise good points. However, Australians are so funny. Have you ever heard one talk? They're all like "Auullriight!"

CraftyFox

I’m guessing the reason they don’t have a Disney Park in Australia is the same reason they don’t have one in Africa and South America.

NickWilde

My best guesses would be either not enough demand or due to the dangerous wildlife/harsh conditions Australia is known to have

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'd imagine it has something to do with the number of people as well. For most amusement parks, the majority of the visitors are within 100 miles of the park (granted, Disney parks tend to draw from a much larger radius, but still)... Australia is a GIGANTIC continent (essentially similar in size to the US) and only has a population of 24.13 million people. By comparison, there are 39.54 million people in California alone, 24.15 million people in Shanghai alone, 20.98 million people in Florida alone, 66.9 million people in France, and 127 million people in all of Japan. When you have a LOT of people really close to the park, it makes pulling in huge numbers of guests that much easier.

By population alone, India and Brazil would be MUCH better options than Australia. Additionally, Australia's population is split into a couple areas which are incredibly far apart. The obvious location for a big park in Australia would be in the south east area of the continent, but even the population in that region is pretty low compared to the local population around most of the other Disney parks. Australia ranks pretty close to the bottom when it comes to population density...

WDWdream97

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG But I believe I once heard that Disney looked into building a park in Sydney but the local governments did not want a Disney park to undermine Australia's tourism industry.
I think I heard this too, and something that it would be built on the Gold Coast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom