Why is Wonders of Life always empty

sknydave

Original Poster
Since the Wonders of Life pavilion was opened once again I have noticed hardly anyone visits. You can ride Body Wars or watch Cranium Command and have about 4 others at the attraction with you. Whats up? Do people not know it is open? Does the name of the pavilion turn off possible visitors?

Jessie&Buzz

I noticed that too. I didn't get to do anything in there since my daughter was ill and we had to leave the park. There weren't too many people in there though when we first went in (before she got sick).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WoL is not on the map only the times guide. The average guest has no clue that it is open let alone what is in there. I took my youngest daughter there Sunday. Hopefully she will remember what she saw because in all probability she will never see it again.

slappy magoo

First of all, how busy is it there right now, generally speaking? This time of year, it would normally be dead until probably next weekend.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised by the complete and utter ambivalence people have towards WoL. I was in there Easter of 05, and while it was busier than 4 or 5 other people, it was not nearly as packed as any other pavilion on Easter Sunday. The main reason I wanted to go there was because I knew it would probably be the last time, before it changed into something else. Or else, it would never be open again when I was there.

I mean, I understand the ambivalence to a degree. Nothing's changed in there since forever, and no attempt's been made to spruce it up beyond general cleaning & upkeep. It feels stale. Even worse, since Epcot has changed so drastically over the past 10 years, it feels more...educational :eek: than most of the other pavilions. More earnest, like it really REALLY hopes it will somehow connect with you. Like the new kid in school who desperately wants to be everybody's best friend, and he's not a bad sort but you can feel his need to be liked, and part of you wants to tell him to settle down, and part fo you rolls your eyes and says "Geez, look at this guy." Death of a Pavilion. Wonders of Life is the Willy Loman of Epcot. It just wants to be liked. Really liked. A pavilion is not just a piece of fruit! The woods are burning! Cranium Command can NOT DRIVE A CAR!!! :lol:

Aside from that, however, you have frequent parkgoers who know that WoL is a dinosaur of a pavilion, only opened when they think they need to siphon guests off of major attractions. And while the 3 major attractions are cute enough (Body Wars, Cranium Command, The Making of Me) they all show their age (but, oh, that young Elizabeth Shue...why won't you swim around MY heart?). It feels forgotten. It feels like an afterthought which is how Epcot treats it. And years of the pavilion mainly being used, if used at all, as a rented hall for corporate events means that everything about the pavilion is muted. Nothing calls attention to anything in there.

As a result the people you'll find in there tend to be either nostalgia hounds like me, OR people who have never been in there and want to see at least what it was. But you walk in the distinct impression that somsone accidentally left the gates open, and someone knew how to jurn on the power, but you're not really supposed to be in there. You don't feel welcome, you just feel like, here's a place to get away from the heavy crowds. Sad, really. At the very least, they should have more and more street performers right outside the pavilion entrance, if they really want to disperse crowds more effectively. Get them close enough, and they might go in. But at this point, I don't think management cares if anyone goes in or not, they just want it open to thin the rest of the herd.

pfeigelm

Maybe if they cleared away some of the foliage in front of the pavillion. The dome is becoming obscured by trees. The growth is beautiful. but out of sight, out of mind.

hokielutz

Maybe if they cleared away some of the foliage in front of the pavillion. The dome is becoming obscured by trees. The growth is beautiful. but out of sight, out of mind.

That was the idea...

It used to have a prominent entrance... but I guess the mouse decided that it would be better to try and hide the entrance when it is not in use... than keeping up a grand entrance that leaves guests wondering what happened.

hokielutz

Just getting back from the world from last week I can give you an update on WOL activity.

Friday the 8th... (which saw HUGE park attendance) was when I visited WOL since we got to the park 2 hours after opening and everything was jammed. I'd say the old pavillion had about 50-100 people in there at any one time. I can also tell you that the cast members there were really not enthused about working WOL. You could really see their displeasure of their assignment on their faces and the way they interacted with guests.

And quite frankly, I don't blame them.

Here is an update on what we saw in the pavillion that day:
The cold coils were not working properly... where I was supposed to feel warmth... I felt frigid cold.
Goofy about health was down
the Health comics attraction was not running
Body Wars was running all 4 simulator pods... and my pod included only me and my DW
Cranium Command was attracting the largest audiences
Making of Me was cute and it filled about 1/6 of the seats for each showing

Cynderella

It's a shame not many people know what it is. We were there the week after thanksgiving and there was only about 15 people mayble less in there while we were. I was snapping pictures like crazy and people were looking at me weird. I just needed those final memories! And it was not on the guidemaps nor any of the signs that point to where each attraction is. I do believe I saw body wars or cranium command on the times sign though showing no wait.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
it is extremely outdated, half of the inside isnt up and running and from what ive been told, BW is riding rougher then ever. CC is about the only thing worth seeing. Slappy is right, mostly WDW geeks in there getting the fix on one more visit before the bulldozers.... or total gut job

hokielutz

it is extremely outdated, half of the inside isnt up and running and from what ive been told, BW is riding rougher then ever. CC is about the only thing worth seeing. Slappy is right, mostly WDW geeks in there getting the fix on one more visit before the bulldozers.... or total gut job

Oh yeah... BW is REALLY ROUGH... if those seat belts were not on... we would be tossed all the way into the lagoon. The motions of the simulator are way over exagerated... and some of the cabinet doors from the front of the simulator were jarred open because of the rough ride.

Tim G

Since the Wonders of Life pavilion was opened once again I have noticed hardly anyone visits. You can ride Body Wars or watch Cranium Command and have about 4 others at the attraction with you. Whats up? Do people not know it is open? Does the name of the pavilion turn off possible visitors?

Actually it's over and done with WOL and it's in it's final fase...

WOL=EOF :lookaroun

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Oh yeah... BW is REALLY ROUGH... if those seat belts were not on... we would be tossed all the way into the lagoon. The motions of the simulator are way over exagerated... and some of the cabinet doors from the front of the simulator were jarred open because of the rough ride.
that would not be pleasant. thanks for the info and the confirmation

toadh63

The main reason I wanted to go there was because I knew it would probably be the last time, before it changed into something else. Or else, it would never be open again when I was there...

Nothing's changed in there since forever, and no attempt's been made to spruce it up beyond general cleaning & upkeep. It feels stale...

And while the 3 major attractions are cute enough (Body Wars, Cranium Command, The Making of Me) they all show their age... It feels forgotten. It feels like an afterthought which is how Epcot treats it...

As a result the people you'll find in there tend to be either nostalgia hounds like me, OR people who have never been in there and want to see at least what it was. But you walk in the distinct impression that somsone accidentally left the gates open, and someone knew how to jurn on the power, but you're not really supposed to be in there...

All so true, slappy magoo... I was at WOL yesterday, mostly for nostalgia's sake (the last time I was inside, my kids were 8 and 1 - they're 21 and 14 now). Except for the closed attractions, it is as if the pavilion was frozen in time.

It was cute to see the SNL characters from 1989 in Cranium Command, and I'd never been on Body Wars until yesterday (a pretty poor sister of Star Tours), but it's kind of like going to Mercado on I-Drive; a really sad shell of what used to be. I sort of wish I'd skipped it now.

packwingfn

Do you think that maybe Disney will be nice and keep WOL open a day later than January 1st? I'm arriving in Dinsey on January 2nd and not sure if I should bother going to EPCOT first to see if its open or not on that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom