Why is WDW so stressful, expensiv and overcrowded these days? The fear of dissapointment from a 2020-First-Timer

DisneyDaver

You could pull that stunt in parts of Jan and May and select other times but in October you, more or less are done after your prebooked 3.

This is not true from my experience. I was at MK twice this past October. On both days I got 4 or 5 same day FP (including Peter Pan's Flight) after my first 3 pre-booked FP. Once I even saw a 5:00 pm 7DMT (but my daughter didn't want to ride again so we didn't grab it).

Touchdown

If you can’t party rope drop till goodnight kiss it’s time to embrace the afternoon nap, it’s simple rope drop a park go until 1ish and then head back to your room shower, nap, have a nice sit down dinner at 5 and head to another park to close it.

mouse_luv

Next year my partner and I will experience WDW for the first time.
At the beginning of October, we will be at the resort for 14 days in the Port Orleans French Quarter.
Unfortunately, we are currently more concerned about disappointment....

Disappointment because of too many crowds, the high costs and the resulting frustration.
We watched this year's calendars in October and realized with horror that especially the hours in the MK were significantly reduced. There was a Halloween party on almost every second day in the week. MK even closed at 6 p.m. (not like the years before at 7 p.m. There was no Evening hours and every day for an hour extra morning hours ....
I do not hope that will be the norm....

We would like to sleep a little longer (8 a.m.), so we are going to be in the parks about 10 - 11 a.m., Fastpasses from 12 a.m. So the evening hours would fit perfect for us!

my opinion for a good vacation:

- Partys at two (towards the end three) days in the week are enough. This gives the other guests the opportunity to spread themselves better.

- extend opening times. Like 2 or 3 years ago. EMH until 1 o'clock etc. and the masses are scattered

- Do not push up the prices further or maybe even reduce something (I know, that won't happen!). Of course, Disney has put a lot of money in WDW in recent years. However, they are also a multi-billion dollar company. An amusement park must also do new things in order to continue to win or keep customers. I have the impression here that Disney is passing on the costs to the visitors in order to have as little as necessary "losses". I mean ... alone our FQ booking cost us $ 600- $ 800 more than we would have paid 3-4 years ago. That's.... INSANE!

- Paid FP system. I think that will come sooner or later anyway but that would be a system where everyone can decide for themselves whether they feel it is necessary or not to have to queue or rather take the FP line. At Universal, the whole thing works great too!

For us as first-timers it would be very frustrating after long planning and money-saving, if we only have to torture ourselves by the masses and only find peace in the hotel. Because ... even if the time at FQ should not be too short .... We make this trip because of the parks and not to be in the hotel-pool ;-)

I know this is my second post: I enjoy Disney so much, love the movies etc!

Simply because this is a very special, unique trip for us.... I wish, that it will be something really special und wonderfull! But I'm realistic too.... And this is.... as
exaggerated as it sounds..... terrifiying :-(

Then maybe just don't go?!?! You already hate it before you get there and you're going for 14 freaking days?! Some of us consider ourselves very lucky to go less than half of that and we love the place.

HongKongFu

This is not true from my experience. I was at MK twice this past October. On both days I got 4 or 5 same day FP (including Peter Pan's Flight) after my first 3 pre-booked FP. Once I even saw a 5:00 pm 7DMT

You got lucky. You experienced an anomaly.
Your experience is most atypical for a season like Oct..

Furthermore, even in the slowest times Pan and 7Dwarfs are hard to grab on the fly like that. It does happen from time to time, of course, but when it does it's notable.

tohoyoho

Original Poster
Then maybe just don't go?!?! You already hate it before you get there and you're going for 14 freaking days?! Some of us consider ourselves very lucky to go less than half of that and we love the place.

Maybe you should read ALL my posts - not just the first one -before you attack me....that would be nice

Again: I don't hate it and WDW is a childhood dream (and more) for me! I just have the fear, to be overwhelmed by the masses and the stress because of FP etc.

And I wanted to start a conversation with all of you (the pros :) ) because I had the feeling that I'm not alone with this emotions. But this IS a little controversial I guess ;)

When you are spending thousands of dollars for a 14day WDW-experience..... it is normal to hope ("expectation" would be too much), that the trip will be unique and wonderfull!
With the same amount of money.... we could have 2 vacations at the maldives at a 5*-all-inclusive-hotel.

But yeah, of course it was our desicion 🥳

We are 80-90% sure, that it will be wonderfull! Simply because it is WDW!

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Eek, green is not a very becoming color on you. Besides, the OP was simply expressing concern over what has become a complicated, stunningly expensive, trip to WDW.

MagicRat

You got lucky. You experienced an anomaly.
Your experience is most atypical for a season like Oct..

Furthermore, even in the slowest times Pan and 7Dwarfs are hard to grab on the fly like that. It does happen from time to time, of course, but when it does it's notable.

This is not true at all, my family and I go every March and October since 2001. Was it less busy in October before 2010? Yes, but it is completely feasible to get decent Fastpasses after the original three and it’s not just Nemo. We pick our first one at 9:45 so if we make the opening we can ride some things first, but if we arrive late we have until 11 (you get 15 minutes of grace time without any problems). We ride the three fastpasses and then typically get three to four more before leaving for a drink and a swim. My only recommendation is do not go to Epcot on Friday nights and all day Saturday during Food and Wine, it is fighting uphill all day long with locals.

As soon as you get past the fast pass que on pass number three, book the next one. Also, if you do not see what you want, reload a few times and see what has changed, it changes frequently.

Last edited:

danyoung56

If you can’t party rope drop till goodnight kiss it’s time to embrace the afternoon nap, it’s simple rope drop a park go until 1ish and then head back to your room shower, nap, have a nice sit down dinner at 5 and head to another park to close it.

Exactly what I do!

Mickeyboof

Exactly what I do!

I despise waking up before 9am, and even made sure my career included as little early mornings as possible. But I do agree when it comes to Disney Parks.

It’s incredible how much one can do between rope drop and noon!

Also it’s wonderful to return to the hotel you’ve paid a good penny for! Mid day swim, nice nap... then back to the twinkling lights of a Disney Park at night.

Tom P.

There is literally nothing at Disney that I want to experience badly enough to get up at 6 a.m. while on vacation. Nothing. I would prefer to miss some big headliner attractions than to be there at rope drop. I know, I know, I'm a weirdo and everyone will tell me I'm wrong. But I just don't happen to think that being at the parks at rope drop is the only way to successfully vacation at Walt Disney World.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
There is literally nothing at Disney that I want to experience badly enough to get up at 6 a.m. while on vacation. Nothing. I would prefer to miss some big headliner attractions than to be there at rope drop. I know, I know, I'm a weirdo and everyone will tell me I'm wrong. But I just don't happen to think that being at the parks at rope drop is the only way to successfully vacation at Walt Disney World.
Ditto.

eliza61nyc

Oh it's absolutely not. I think the disconnect comes in when folks want the best of both worlds. It's all about expectations. I love sleeping in late also but I don't expect that if I arrive at the parks at 11 am rides are going to be a 20 minute wait.

That's the disconnect, some people want to sleep in AND be able to wait 15 minutes for 7dmt. then get upset when they get to the park at noon and it's an hour wait. o_O

Gotta pick your poison.

Communicora

Premium Member
Maybe you should read ALL my posts - not just the first one -before you attack me....that would be nice

Again: I don't hate it and WDW is a childhood dream (and more) for me! I just have the fear, to be overwhelmed by the masses and the stress because of FP etc.

And I wanted to start a conversation with all of you (the pros :) ) because I had the feeling that I'm not alone with this emotions. But this IS a little controversial I guess ;)

When you are spending thousands of dollars for a 14day WDW-experience..... it is normal to hope ("expectation" would be too much), that the trip will be unique and wonderfull!
With the same amount of money.... we could have 2 vacations at the maldives at a 5*-all-inclusive-hotel.

But yeah, of course it was our desicion 🥳

We are 80-90% sure, that it will be wonderfull! Simply because it is WDW!

You are handling this challenging thread so gracefully!

Personally, I think it's good going into it being aware of the potential negative aspects. It helps you measure your expectations so you aren't let down when something less than magical happens.

My advice would be to use jet lag to your advantage and plan some earlier days toward the start of your trip. You'll probably find yourself waking up before six without even wanting to. I am also not a morning person, but there is something so pleasant about being at the parks when they open. Everything is fresh, the parks are less crowded and the weather is usually more pleasant than later in the day.

I hope you have an enjoyable and relaxing trip!

Last edited:

pax_65

I'm one of the most negative people on these boards because I compare WDW to what it used to be. That being said I would still expect the Disney Magic to do its thing for a first-timer who loves Disney movies. You'll have a great time! Just do some planning (unfortunately a necessity these days) - get your ADRs, get your FPs, etc. I also agree with those who say "get up early". That's what we've always done, you can get a lot done before the parks get too crowded. Then if you're stressed or tired, take a break from the crowds and go back to your hotel pool to relax in the heat of the day.

Go into it with a positive attitude, and you'll still have a great time. Good luck!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From my social media feed of six years ago today.

Off the forums. So funny and well written!
(Sing to the melody of "Belle")

(Myers) "Buy more!"
(Staggs) "Buy more!"
(Crofton) "Buy more!"
(Kalogridis) "Buy more!"
(MacPhee) "Buy more!"

(Guest) There goes the VP of Park Op-er-a-tions. He's really busy I can tell!
And he thinks what would be neat, is another meet and greet.
Cause they make those Princess dresses sell well.

(Staggs) "Good Morning, Guest, where are you off to?"
(Guest) "To Epcot! I just finished the most wonderful story about a Dreamfinder and a dragon and..."
(Staggs) "That's nice." (turns away disinterested) "MEG! How are the profits? Push them up!"

(Crofton and Kalogridis) "Look there they go, those Guests don't see the magic,"
(Crofton and Kalogridis) "That we have crafted up so well."
(Myers) "They don't like our magic bands."
(Staggs) "But we don't care about the fans."
(All of them) "Unless they buy the things we have to sell!"

(MacPhee) "Buy more!"
(Crofton) "Buy more!"
(MacPhee) "How is the Starbucks?"

(Crofton) "Buy more!"
(Staggs) "Quick pay!"
(Myers) "It's on your wrist."

(Monorail Driver) "I need, maintenance."
(Staggs) "That's too expensive."

(Guest) "There must be better, maybe up I-Drive?"

(Kalogridis) "Ah, Guest!"
(Guest) "Good Morning! I came to see the new ride you promised!"
(Kalogridis) "But those have been rumors for years, you came already?"
(Guest) "It's the only reason I drove down! Have you got anything new?"
(Kalogridis - laughing) "Well, we've got some tangled restrooms."
(Guest) "Well, that's just not right. I'll go to Uni then"
(Kalogridis - shocked) "Universal? But you've been there twice already!"
(Guest) "But it's got some favorites. Far off places, daring thrill rides. Magic spells, and it's clean and it's nice!"
(Kalogridis) "Well, if you like it that much, then it's yours."
(Guest) "But sir!"
(Kalogridis) "I insist. We can always find others willing to take your spot."
(Guest) "Thank you, thank you very much!"

(Senior Park Management) "Look there they go, those Guests are so peculiar."
(Senior Park Management) "We've got some great new stuff to sell."
(Crofton) "With our brand new Mermaid ride,"
(MacPhee) "That's boring and plastic inside."
(All management) "What a puzzle to the rest of us, oh well."

(Guest) "Oooooh, isn't this amazing. It's my favorite ride, because you'll see."
(Guest) "Here's where you'll meet Olivander, and get a wand just like the Wizard Harry P!"

(Crofton) "This makes me wonder if those Guests are worthy."
(Crofton) "MK now has wine it can sell."
(Staggs) "They really cannot see, our strong earnings quarter 3."
(Kalogridis) "Very different from the rest of us, oh well.

(All management) "They're nothing like the rest of us, they're different then the rest of us, oh well!"

(Rasulo) "WOW. You never flub a deal, Bob! Your the best IP hunter in the WORLD!"
(Iger) "I know."
(Rasulo) "No unique concept stands a chance against you! And no WDW fan, for that matter."
(Iger) "It's true! But next, I've got my sites set on that one (points to DC Comics)"
(Rasulo) "More comic fodder?"
(Iger) "That's the one! The lucky company I'm going to acquire!"
(Rasulo) "But it's..."
(Iger) "The most beautiful concepts I could ever acquire!"
(Rasulo) "I know..."
(Iger) "That makes DC the best! And don't I deserve the best?"
(Rasulo) "Of course, I mean...you do!"

(Iger) "Right from the moment that I became chairman,"
(Iger) "I knew how to make Disney run well."
(Iger) "I'd slash all maintenance, and build timeshare units."
(Iger) "And I'll finally make WDW wifi work well."

(Croften) "Look there, he goes, isn't he dreamy."
(MacPhee) "That Bob I-ger. Oh he's so cute."
(Staggs) "Bestill, my heart. I'm hardly breathing."
(All 3) "He's such a strong and corporate minded brute!"

(Iger is walking through a crowded main street chasing the Guest)

(Kalogridis) "Buy more!"
(Croften) "Quick pay!"
(Guest) "This guest is leaving"
(Staggs) "Starbucks!"
(MacPhee) "Fastpass?"
(Guest) "Not in your life!"

(Kalogridis) "Restooms!"
(Croften) "Quick pay!"
(MacPhee) "One more princess restaurant!"
(Staggs) "Starbucks!"
(MacPhee) "Phone Apps?"
(Guest) "This isn't right!"

(Guest) "There must be more than this pre-packaged grime!"
(Iger) "Just watch, we'll make you spend last every last diiiiiime!"

(All Management) "Look there they go, that Guest is strange but special."
(Croften) "And with good credit, I can tell!"
(All Management) "It's a pity she can't see, all the great things we're doing."

(All Management) "They really are a funny guest. A rich, but quite peculiar guest."
(Iger) "They'll spend it all before we rest!"
(All Management) "OH WEEEEELLLLLLL!"

(Myers) "Buy more!"
(Staggs) "Buy more!"
(Crofton) "Buy more!"
(Kalogridis) "Buy more!"
(MacPhee) "Buy more!"
(Iger) "Buy more!"

JillC LI

I haven't read the other responses, but here's what I will say.
1-Research and plan.
2-Arrive early at the parks to avoid crowds (don't sleep in everyday).
3-Set reasonable expectations.
Do those three things and you will have a wonderful time. Why would you go on a vacation that you are already dreading? Between the Food and Wine festival, MNSSHP, and the nice weather that time of year, how could you not have a blast? We went at Xmastime for the first time in 2018, and with the smart use of FP+s, we were able to do everything we wanted to and avoid terrible crowds and we had the most wonderful time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom