Why is WDW so stressful, expensiv and overcrowded these days? The fear of dissapointment from a 2020-First-Timer

ppete1975

Next year my partner and I will experience WDW for the first time.
At the beginning of October, we will be at the resort for 14 days in the Port Orleans French Quarter.
Unfortunately, we are currently more concerned about disappointment....

Disappointment because of too many crowds, the high costs and the resulting frustration.
We watched this year's calendars in October and realized with horror that especially the hours in the MK were significantly reduced. There was a Halloween party on almost every second day in the week. MK even closed at 6 p.m. (not like the years before at 7 p.m. There was no Evening hours and every day for an hour extra morning hours ....
I do not hope that will be the norm....

We would like to sleep a little longer (8 a.m.), so we are going to be in the parks about 10 - 11 a.m., Fastpasses from 12 a.m. So the evening hours would fit perfect for us!

my opinion for a good vacation:

- Partys at two (towards the end three) days in the week are enough. This gives the other guests the opportunity to spread themselves better.

- extend opening times. Like 2 or 3 years ago. EMH until 1 o'clock etc. and the masses are scattered

- Do not push up the prices further or maybe even reduce something (I know, that won't happen!). Of course, Disney has put a lot of money in WDW in recent years. However, they are also a multi-billion dollar company. An amusement park must also do new things in order to continue to win or keep customers. I have the impression here that Disney is passing on the costs to the visitors in order to have as little as necessary "losses". I mean ... alone our FQ booking cost us $ 600- $ 800 more than we would have paid 3-4 years ago. That's.... INSANE!

- Paid FP system. I think that will come sooner or later anyway but that would be a system where everyone can decide for themselves whether they feel it is necessary or not to have to queue or rather take the FP line. At Universal, the whole thing works great too!

For us as first-timers it would be very frustrating after long planning and money-saving, if we only have to torture ourselves by the masses and only find peace in the hotel. Because ... even if the time at FQ should not be too short .... We make this trip because of the parks and not to be in the hotel-pool ;-)

I know this is my second post: I enjoy Disney so much, love the movies etc!

Simply because this is a very special, unique trip for us.... I wish, that it will be something really special und wonderfull! But I'm realistic too.... And this is.... as
exaggerated as it sounds..... terrifiying :-(
you've never been but you are already telling them how they should change the park? you've never been but you are complaining?
Ive been several times and guess what.. its beautiful and amazing and all my stresses go out the window as soon as I arrive.
Instead of ruining your vacation ahead of time, get excited and enjoy it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
you've never been but you are already telling them how they should change the park? you've never been but you are complaining?
Ive been several times and guess what.. its beautiful and amazing and all my stresses go out the window as soon as I arrive.
Instead of ruining your vacation ahead of time, get excited and enjoy it.
I see where back to defending the flag??

It’s ok to be nervous and have legitimate questions, people...it really is. It’s a sign of maturity.

You know what my #1 piece of advice - 20 years ago when I worked in guest services (resort ops/front of house) and TDO was??
It was never travel without knowing all you can or letting your expectations go out of control.

Truth. Still applies.

tohoyoho

Original Poster
I see where back to defending the flag??

It’s ok to be nervous and have legitimate questions, people...it really is. It’s a sign of maturity.

You know what my #1 piece of advice - 20 years ago when I worked in guest services (resort ops/front of house) and TDO was??
It was never travel without knowing all you can or letting your expectations go out of control.

Truth. Still applies.

Thank you so much for this! 👍😃

I just have to be a little relaxed and just let it be. Book our dining-reservations and get our FP as soon as it is possible.

Yeah Disney gets greedy in my opinion and yeah it is a little (well, maybe VERY 😁 ) exhausting to think about all of this stuff. I don't know any other amusement-park, where it is a MUST to plan so much ahaid of time. But is is what it is!

As some of you said: This is OUR vacation and we have to make the best out of it.
And.... I talked to my partner yesterday: What were the happiest moments at DLP? The time together, the little, funny interactions with CM and characters, the music etc
And guess what? The rides.... this was just the top of the cake for us. You forget about this, when you are so stressed about all the thinking and planing.
I mean.... it is ridiculous to have a fear that you are not getting your FP 60 days ahaid for the Star Wars Rides when you are an hour late. But it will be as it is what it is, I think. 💆‍♂️

HongKongFu

. The curricula of Econ 002 and 004 and BA 301-304 don’t cover the psychological stupidity scenario where people fight one another - and the major credit bureaus - to pay higher and higher fees for products that increase in price on a vector unreasonable based on the timeframe.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said .

.........But I like it!!

HongKongFu

you've never been but you are already telling them how they should change the park?

That looks accusatory, warrantlessly delivered.

I'm going to have to disagree here.
Our resident virgin early on politely gave us "my opinion for a good vacation" and everything thereafter I found appropriate.

jackpast

At the beginning of October, we will be at the resort for 14 days in the Port Orleans French Quarter.

Disappointment because of too many crowds, the high costs and the resulting frustration.
We watched this year's calendars in October and realized with horror that especially the hours in the MK were significantly reduced. There was a Halloween party on almost every second day in the week. MK even closed at 6 p.m. (not like the years before at 7 p.m. There was no Evening hours and every day for an hour extra morning hours ....

We would like to sleep a little longer (8 a.m.), so we are going to be in the parks about 10 - 11 a.m., Fastpasses from 12 a.m. So the evening hours would fit perfect for us!

- Partys at two (towards the end three) days in the week are enough. This gives the other guests the opportunity to spread themselves better.

- extend opening times. Like 2 or 3 years ago. EMH until 1 o'clock etc. and the masses are scattered

- Do not push up the prices further or maybe even reduce something (I know, that won't happen!). Of course, Disney has put a lot of money in WDW in recent years. However, they are also a multi-billion dollar company. An amusement park must also do new things in order to continue to win or keep customers. I have the impression here that Disney is passing on the costs to the visitors in order to have as little as necessary "losses". I mean ... alone our FQ booking cost us $ 600- $ 800 more than we would have paid 3-4 years ago. That's.... INSANE!

- Paid FP system. I think that will come sooner or later anyway but that would be a system where everyone can decide for themselves whether they feel it is necessary or not to have to queue or rather take the FP line. At Universal, the whole thing works great too!

For us as first-timers it would be very frustrating after long planning and money-saving, if we only have to torture ourselves by the masses and only find peace in the hotel. Because ... even if the time at FQ should not be too short .... We make this trip because of the parks and not to be in the hotel-pool ;-)

Simply because this is a very special, unique trip for us.... I wish, that it will be something really special und wonderfull! But I'm realistic too.... And this is.... as
Please adjust your sleep schedule and go to every park at rope drop. Plan exactly the start of each park—what do you want to do quickly without a FP? Don’t get early morning FP. Get park hopper and do MK with another park that day. Maybe 2 times. Relax. Go to Disney Springs. Have some down days. Pool! Do some fine dining! Oh, one more secret(not)...you won’t see or do it all. Plan your next trip when you get home!!

Tootsie

We just returned from a week at WDW, we've been going since 2008, very fun and very much a vacation, as the years go by, less fun and more stressful, I say this because of all of the pre-planning you must do before even going, like dinner reservations, fast passes. Starting on our first trip, it was still paper fastpasses, those were great, you go to the park get your FP, not having to pick which park which day beforehand. What I found this last trip, not all lines were open at the counter service dining places, which led to long lines and grumpy people, me included. I keep hearing of the "low" crowds, but to make it appear fuller, most of the rides weren't running all of the cars, again, long lines, grumpy people, not as much staff in the shops, again leading to long lines and grumpy people. Not sure of what the thinking is behind this strategy. You (Disney) would get a better reference if they fully staffed and ran all "cars" at all attractions and not have long lines. I will be truthful, I lost a little magic this last trip and don't plan on going back for a while, if ever. We paid a lot of money, which is fine, usually it's well worth it, this time, not so much. Cast members seem to not be happy, I feel a lot of the Disney magic is waning. I feel that traffic is being pushed all in one direction for either construction or to appear more crowded than it really was. Also, I am soooo over rude people, we all have one goal in mind is to have a great vacation, but if you have a FS scheduled, they wait until the very last minute and push there way through these over crowded pathways to get to their destination. Sorry to ramble, I have expressed this to Disney, not sure anyone there really cares. I'm just sad that I was more than ready to go home and not start planning our next trip as we have done every year after our trip. With the way WDW is nowadays, you have every right to be afraid that your trip won't be perfect.

Djsfantasi

I guess a lot depends on what type of person you are. I can’t relate to some of the posters, who complain that they must plan ahead. I’m more of a planner and less a see-what-happens-kinda guy.

Disney is what Disney is. Greed? Cost of entertainment! If the value isn’t there for you, then don’t go. Would you take a date to a fancy restaurant and complain about it all the way there?

Sleep late? Then you are blaming Disney for its popularity and the fact that you don’t like to get out of bed. If there are fewer crowds at opening and you don’t like crowds - then you can’t complain if you choose to waste the time when the parks are not crowded.

You don’t like parties? Personally, I avoid the holiday parties because they cost both financially and in experiences I dislike.

I have been going to Disney twice a year. Once offseason and once when it’s a bit busier. My Fastpasses and DRs are made well in advance. So, my days in the parks are easy going and I can enjoy them fully.

I hope you can have a magic time at WDW!

pmcue

Since you are there for 2 weeks, just pick park days and have those be your get up early. Plan sleep in and pool or chill mornings. Do some evenings at epcot. Try Le Cellar and just enjoy walking around. Also, head to boardwalk and just enjoy the atmosphere. Maybe do some other activities out of park. We did bass fishing one time. It was great.
If you can afford to, do the halloween party one night. Less crowds, good fireworks.

Have fun

Rosanne

I too dont like that the parks have dipped into the hours of operation in order to charge more for "Magic Hours." In the old days the parks were open until 11:00pm or 12:00 on weekends so you had plenty of time even if you had to wait in line. Now with later opening and early closing, and long lines - you can only get to see a few of the prime rides.

tohoyoho

Original Poster
I guess a lot depends on what type of person you are. I can’t relate to some of the posters, who complain that they must plan ahead. I’m more of a planner and less a see-what-happens-kinda guy.

Yeah, me to! I hate to be unprepared! But this is the real problem I think.... thinking to much ;-)

Sleep late? Then you are blaming Disney for its popularity and the fact that you don’t like to get out of bed. If there are fewer crowds at opening and you don’t like crowds - then you can’t complain if you choose to waste the time when the parks are not crowded.

But what is a "sleep late"? When we get up at 8 a.m. at the latest... that isn't really late for me. But ... getting up at 6am every day, walking to the bus, rushing through the theme Parks to drive this and that attraction ....
That's already exhausting for me at this moment 😅

I know, maybe that's necessary to drive all the attractions.
But that does not make sense if we do that but can't really enjoy it...

I heard that every 20 min. the buses from the FQ resort drive every morning directly to the parks. And that is within 10-20 min. That would be perfect. So... even when we are going to get up at 7:30 a.m. or 8.00 a.m., we can hit the bathroom, check MDE for drive-times and theoretically can make it to the park(s) bout 9 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. We can take our breakfast a couple of times there too I think.

And if we are up at 7:00 a.m.... perfect, but that will be not the norm. And.... sorry but... even that this is a theme park vacation.... that should not be necessary! And for this "chaos" you CAN make Disney responsible for that.

See the post from @Tootsie above.... yes, this is why my respect for this trip comes and goes (but I'm still very excited 😍)

If we are at our 8th or 9th day and figure out, that we want to see GE (for instance) or drive this or that but can't handle it.... then we would stand up at 6 a.m. for once or twice.

I hope you can have a magic time at WDW!

thank you very much! :)

Drgnflygrl

For what it is worth, Many many years ago when I was a Disney newbie I foolishly booked a trip during spring break. The park actually reached max capacity on two of the days I was there. I still had a great time! I had a better time the next time when I learned a few things and planned a little. The first trip is magical. Just enjoy:) In my opinion if you just focus on enjoying yourself you will. If you focus too much on what can go wrong ,then it will go wrong. I hope you have a great time

debg32

Unfortunately there are no "least crowded" times any longer. The first week of December is a nightmare. I was there the first week of Dec. and they were holding the midget football and cheerleading tournament. We were there mid May this year and it was crowded and supposedly that is a "least crowded" time as it is before Memorial Day and the summer rush. Be prepared as they always have things going on to bring in the crowds. They offer the dining plan free for certain times of the year to bring in the crowds also. Be prepared and make sure you book your dining at 180 days exactly and your fast passes 60 days exactly.

raymusiccity

Yes.......what an odd first post.
Getting the expected results ! troll.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom