Why is WDW so stressful, expensiv and overcrowded these days? The fear of dissapointment from a 2020-First-Timer

bUU

So my concern for you is that you are a year away and you are already going in with negative expectations.
Vacations are supposed to be happy, exciting things not terrifying.
There are two aspects to this. First, I think there is a lot alarmism, sensationalism, and outright "poisoning of the pool" going on, leading guests, especially first-timers, to be fearful and inclined toward disappointment. Combine that with a society-wide problem with unchecked baseless entitlement and you have a recipe for disaster. Second, I think destination travel (such as to WDW) here, deep into a period of economic growth, is a very high risk operation - as more and more people place higher and higher value on these experiences over on what they would have otherwise spent their money, they are going to find themselves competing with each other the same way two, three or ten buyers looking to purchase the same home compete against each other. It may not be obvious, but we're all in a slow bidding war against each other for all the luxuries our society offers, not just Disney vacations.

I'm a bit confused why you guys picked WDW. You don't want crowds yet you are going somewhere notoriously crowded. ... Are you sure this is the right fit for you guys??
This is a good question, and it really can be readily adapted to most of the negativity that we regularly see here, regarding crowds, costs, content, upkeep, staffing, etc.

tohoyoho

Original Poster
There are two aspects to this. First, I think there is a lot alarmism, sensationalism, and outright "poisoning of the pool" going on, leading guests, especially first-timers, to be fearful and inclined toward disappointment. Combine that with a society-wide problem with unchecked baseless entitlement and you have a recipe for disaster. Second, I think destination travel (such as to WDW) here, deep into a period of economic growth, is a very high risk operation - as more and more people place higher and higher value on these experiences over on what they would have otherwise spent their money, they are going to find themselves competing with each other the same way two, three or ten buyers looking to purchase the same home compete against each other. It may not be obvious, but we're all in a slow bidding war against each other for all the luxuries our society offers, not just Disney vacations.

This is a good question, and it really can be readily adapted to most of the negativity that we regularly see here, regarding crowds, costs, content, upkeep, staffing, etc.

thank you for that! Yes, you are absolutely right!

So my concern for you is that you are a year away and you are already going in with negative expectations.
Vacations are supposed to be happy, exciting things not terrifying.

Now all the things you consider a necessity for a good vacation are not what's going on at wdw.

I'm a bit confused why you guys picked WDW. You don't want crowds yet you are going somewhere notoriously crowded.

You want extended hours to 1-2 o'clock in October?? That's not likely. You know this
Parties are profit they are here for the forseable future.

Are you sure this is the right fit for you guys??

Why do we want this trip? or why are we are so excited? I'm sorry but I think, you are a little rude..... maybe I wasn't specific at this point. This was my suggestion for disney. But, as I said, not in a realistic way.... for them....

This is our first time - maybe our only time - to enjoy this new world.... this is a childhood-dream....especially for me. And all that I read is: Disney becomes greedier and greedier every year, that the magic got lost etc.
So... that's why we have our..... worries bout that.

eliza61nyc

thank you for that! Yes, you are absolutely right!

Why do we want this trip? or why are we are so excited? I'm sorry but I think, you are a little rude..... maybe I wasn't specific at this point. This was my suggestion for disney. But, as I said, not in a realistic way.... for them....

This is our first time - maybe our only time - to enjoy this new world.... this is a childhood-dream....especially for me. And all that I read is: Disney becomes greedier and greedier every year, that the magic got lost etc.
So... that's why we have our..... worries bout that.
My apologies, my question was not to be rude but to get you to realistically think about what you want in a vacation destination.
Disney being greedy should not in anyway have any bearing on your vacation plans or pick. whether or not a company is being greedy is not important. All YOU have control over is how you react to their greediness. Yes, Disney is going to continue to squeeze every last penny they can from the consumer. Yes, they are absolutely going to pass on the cost of anything they can to the consumer. You are absolutely correct. Now will that be something that affects your enjoyment.

The same thing with the parties and after hours events. No one here has any control over how many there are. they make a lot of cash for the company so my feeling is that they will continue if not increase. Again if I were a travel agent and a client said they don't like crowds and they don't like having to pay upcharges and they want to sleep in late, I guess I would probably not suggest a vacation to wdw.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, from what I read in your first post, you gave things that you feel are what makes a great vacation and the things you listed are NOT the things you will regularly find in a WDW vacation.

That is where my questioning comes from. Again apologies if you thought it was rude. Hope you are not disappointed with your vacation

Last edited:

Qscout

You sound very much like our type of WDW holiday. We get up when we wake up, go to the parks for a few hours, I booked FP+ for the afternoons, nothing before 12:00, stayed in a park for a 3/4 hours then went back to our hotel, a few drinks, nap, chill then out for dinner reservation and a park/springs visit for the evening.

We looked at it like we have 14 days to spend here, there is no need to cram everything in to every day. In that timescale you can have nearly 3 days in each park. So we took it easy didn't go crazy on getting on rides, and went to each park for 3 or 4 half days either in the afternoon or evening.

It is possible to see loads, do loads, be knackered but still have a relaxing time, especially when you have 14 days to do it in.

Lilofan

Since the OP is going in October, it's still summer time heat and humidity in Orlando. Hydrate often. I have seen both kids and adults have meltdowns in the heat.

Last edited:

NickPytlinski

Next year my partner and I will experience WDW for the first time.
At the beginning of October, we will be at the resort for 14 days in the Port Orleans French Quarter.
Unfortunately, we are currently more concerned about disappointment....

Disappointment because of too many crowds, the high costs and the resulting frustration.
We watched this year's calendars in October and realized with horror that especially the hours in the MK were significantly reduced. There was a Halloween party on almost every second day in the week. MK even closed at 6 p.m. (not like the years before at 7 p.m. There was no Evening hours and every day for an hour extra morning hours ....
I do not hope that will be the norm....

We would like to sleep a little longer (8 a.m.), so we are going to be in the parks about 10 - 11 a.m., Fastpasses from 12 a.m. So the evening hours would fit perfect for us!

my opinion for a good vacation:

- Partys at two (towards the end three) days in the week are enough. This gives the other guests the opportunity to spread themselves better.

- extend opening times. Like 2 or 3 years ago. EMH until 1 o'clock etc. and the masses are scattered

- Do not push up the prices further or maybe even reduce something (I know, that won't happen!). Of course, Disney has put a lot of money in WDW in recent years. However, they are also a multi-billion dollar company. An amusement park must also do new things in order to continue to win or keep customers. I have the impression here that Disney is passing on the costs to the visitors in order to have as little as necessary "losses". I mean ... alone our FQ booking cost us $ 600- $ 800 more than we would have paid 3-4 years ago. That's.... INSANE!

- Paid FP system. I think that will come sooner or later anyway but that would be a system where everyone can decide for themselves whether they feel it is necessary or not to have to queue or rather take the FP line. At Universal, the whole thing works great too!

For us as first-timers it would be very frustrating after long planning and money-saving, if we only have to torture ourselves by the masses and only find peace in the hotel. Because ... even if the time at FQ should not be too short .... We make this trip because of the parks and not to be in the hotel-pool ;-)

I know this is my second post: I enjoy Disney so much, love the movies etc!

Simply because this is a very special, unique trip for us.... I wish, that it will be something really special und wonderfull! But I'm realistic too.... And this is.... as
exaggerated as it sounds..... terrifiying :-(

to be honest, this forum can be very very negative. i read things on here which i have never experienced at disney.
out of thousands of visitors a day, there will be 1 or 2 people that have an issue. most of them are blown out of proportion on here.

my advice would be to not listen to the majority of moaners on here and find out for yourself. The crowds are always busy but i think it adds to the park in more ways then not. I'd find the parks a little underwhelming without alot of people.

either way you'll have an amazing time. feel free to drop me or the other guys a message if you have any worries or need any advice.

NickPytlinski

Your concerns are completely valid and it's unfortunate but your post will trigger most the folks around here that defend the brand at all costs. The last paragraph of your post specifically explains that you are excited, terrified but most importantly, realistic. Most of the responses seem to have ignored that and labelled your "being realistic", as "negative expectations". You clearly love Disney and are simply concerned about the (emotional) return on a monetary investment (which is what a 14 day WDW trip has become, an investment).

To offer some advice, have you considered visiting Disneyland Paris instead or even HKDL, Tokyo or Shanghai?

at last some sense in this thread.

Lilofan

Your concerns are completely valid and it's unfortunate but your post will trigger most the folks around here that defend the brand at all costs. The last paragraph of your post specifically explains that you are excited, terrified but most importantly, realistic. Most of the responses seem to have ignored that and labelled your "being realistic", as "negative expectations". You clearly love Disney and are simply concerned about the (emotional) return on a monetary investment (which is what a 14 day WDW trip has become, an investment).

To offer some advice, have you considered visiting Disneyland Paris instead or even HKDL, Tokyo or Shanghai?
HKDL with all the nearby violence, political turmoil happening everyday? No thanks.

MaximumEd

You’ll be there for 14 days. Don’t stress. That’s plenty of time to take it at a slower pace and still do everything you could possibly want, even during big crowds.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Entschuldigung, but Disneyworld is a global destination just for the facts that you mentioned movies, cartoons, products, etc... as well as marketing. You will also have to contend with holidays which increase the crowds (thanks to low travel costs for airlines and automobiles) in October. The economy in the US is doing pretty well across many sectors which gives people disposable income to spend on things like vacations.

NCO91590

I think if you were only going for 4-5 days during a busy time of year I would agree that you will probably not have the most magical time. I went for a few days during Spring Break and I was pretty bummed that I wasn't able to enjoy the parks like I had in the past. Although looking back on it, we went on every ride we wanted to, and experienced everything we wanted to experience. World Showcase was not fun and we didn't get to do any of the Flower and Garden food booths, but it is what is is.

Because you're going for 14 days, you will have PLENTY of time and opportunities to experience all that WDW has to offer. When we've taken longer trips it helps because you don't have to be in the parks all day. When it gets mobbed, we just go back to your hotel and chill for a bit. Take a break from the crowds and head back out in the evenings. Get yourself a good strategy and you'll have a great time!

Tom P.

I see Katiebug is back at it again with the polarizing first and only post.

No, the OP came back and followed up on the replies:

Ok, ok guys!

There are a few of you who have understood me! :) Thanks for that! 😍👍
Yes, I'm absolutely excited!! And WDW is a dream who finally comes true next year! And we want to have a BLAST at this vacation.
you go with negativity and you got it? mmmh... I'm glad that I don't have the pink disneyglasses on and go there with no clue ;-)

Again: I do not complain about the high costs or the parties in general!

3 years ago we said we want definitly go and since then we also save for this trip!
Since then we also look at the calendars, check the prices etc.

@eliza61nyc
If you once (exactly on WDWmagic) look at the calendar of Oct 2017. There is even a day when the MK opened up to 2 a.m (!). Yep, in October!
Again, I'm not complaining!
And these suggestions .... these were nothing but theoretic suggestions! Not things I would want to have on my vacation! This would be not realistic! That's true!

We are theoretically very familiar with the parks and the system. But that's exactly why (and since we know the prices etc. for 3 years) I talked negatively about the parties. There's just too many tickets for each party, too many partys in generall and too many hours cut from the regular guests! But the MNSSHP will be definitly a must for us!!
We love Halloween! And we love Disney..... so.... perfect combination!

We have been to the DLP several times and have always enjoyed it a lot!
Yes, it's Disney and no it will be not relaxing as a vacation at the beach (wich we have before that :D in Key West and Miami)! But we should be able to make it most relaxing as possible for US!

Also.... we will not be there every couple of years.... maybe this will be a once-in-a-lifetime-trip....

I read all the negativ stuff about the Resort and of course..... I listen to people, who go to WDW since the beginning or since 10 years....

So.... to make this understanable:

OUR PERFECT VACATION would be:
- stand up 8 a.m., go to the park about 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- make the 3 fast passes, to enjoy at least the rides we definitly want to do! We have 3 days each park... that must be enough
- Dessert Partys to have a great view
- at one or two days we (no, just me ;-) ) want to get up early to enyoy the MK at the morning.
- MNNSHP

Why I'm afraid? Because even at the expensiv Partys it could be very crowded etc. I don't have a clue what "crowded" means.... but it must be horrific because people always say this...
And that is my problem.... but... yeah.... maybe you are right and I simply have to do a little more yoga... that's not sarcasism... I really love yoga 🙃

Again: To all of you, who don't have taken my post as bad as it might sounded! Thank you for your warm and good words! I appreciate! :)

Incomudro

My only piece of advice is that you should suck it up and get to the parks right at park open. If you wait till 10 or 11, you will have given up 2 to 3 prime hours of park storming, when the lines are much shorter. By 11am the full crowd will be there, and you'll experience long lines everywhere. You can get so much done in that first couple of hours of touring. I love to sleep in, but would never do it on a Disney park visit.

This is key.
Like anything else one visits - from an outdoor park, to a museum, to a mall - crowds are significantly lower if you get to a place when it opens or early in the morning.
One's impression of a place - and Disney in particular - can be greatly impacted by crowds.
Wake up early and hit the parks when they open.
Get out when they get crowded mid day (if it's too much) then come back in at night.
Use sleep in days to hang around your hotel complex.

mariedarling

You’ll be there for 14 days. Don’t stress. That’s plenty of time to take it at a slower pace and still do everything you could possibly want, even during big crowds.

This! - I also was going to mention look at your schedule and just aim for a few earlier start days. If you don't get there its OK. you can try again another day for the early start.

It's fun thinking ahead about your trip! have fun disney dreaming until your trip!

tohoyoho

Original Poster
Thank you guys! :)

We will start at least for once early in the park. The reason is the BOG-Restaurant :)
Maybe I'm going alone on a couple of days, leave the park around noon and my partner and I will visit a park in the evening.

Because getting up early and "rushing into the park" is absolute poison for my partner. He doesn't need the rides etc. he likes just the atmosphere. He is absolutely happy und calm with it! So.... this would be a possibility for me, especially if I feel like: "I'm missing something". But we hope that will not be necessary.

I'm very disciplined and when I have to get up, I will! But not every single day. This is definitely not realistic at 14 or 12 full parking days. I would be drained like hell. Despite breaks, etc.

I think we will definitely have to say goodbye to the wish "do a lot of rides and be rested at the same time" (even slightly)

So:
FP from 12 p.m. or 13 p.m. and everything else .... we'll see

What about the other parks?
Because at Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom times are relatively stable and longer than at MK. So the crowds could spread a bit, no?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Thank you guys! :)

What about the other parks?
Because at Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom times are relatively stable and longer than at MK. So the crowds could spread a bit, no?

On Magic Kingdom party days unfortunately no. The crowds tend to spread to the other parks Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios for the families with smaller children, Epcot for the older families as Food and Wine will be going on at the same time (at least from historical scheduling) but also keep in mind that Remy's Ratatouille Adventure and the new section of the France area will be opening in May so that might impact the crowd disbursement too.

PiratesMansion

If Partner is unwilling to/will be unpleasant if he gets there early, go without him. Meet him later, have him come to the parks whenever he is ready. He won't be able to do everything, but I can tell you from experience that it's not worth the battle to try and get people to come early if they just don't want to.

The good news is that you are thinking about this already. You will be far more prepared than someone who just waltzes in having done no planning. With 14 days, you will have plenty of time to get everything done that is on your 'must list.'

In my experience the non-MK parks are easier to handle and deal with (the flipside being that they don't have huge numbers of attractions). MK is a zoo and there isn't really much that can be done about that unfortunately.

If you want a more relaxing and easier vacation (if not necessarily less crowded), you might consider Disneyland (or any of the internationals, if those could at all be a possibility) instead. The DLR parks have longer hours (although showing up early is just as important) and many similar (arguably better in many cases) and unique attractions. Disneyland Park is (heresy as it may be to many on this side of the board) actually a better park than Magic Kingdom with more to do, and it's actually easier to do everything you want than MK. It's a much more manageable trip if you're concerned about WDW seeming too overwhelming. DLR absolutely can't fill 14 days, but SoCal absolutely can.

Just some food for thought.

Disstevefan1

My only piece of advice is that you should suck it up and get to the parks right at park open. If you wait till 10 or 11, you will have given up 2 to 3 prime hours of park storming, when the lines are much shorter. By 11am the full crowd will be there, and you'll experience long lines everywhere. You can get so much done in that first couple of hours of touring. I love to sleep in, but would never do it on a Disney park visit.

I agree, the parks are totally different and better at rope drop. If you can, plan for rope drop, by mid day go back to resort for a break, then return to the park a few hours in the evening.

Things will not go perfect, things out of your control will happen, keep your expectations on the low side and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Incomudro

OP, you are going to be at WDW for a long time - so you have the option of doing multiple things with your stay.
My wife - much like your partner doesn't like to get up early, and the first time we took the kids we did it her way and were in the parks by afternoon.
Not the best way to hit the parks, and she has since come around.
In any event - being your stay is long, you have the option of rope drops for park visits - which in the end, you will both be glad you did things that way.
Plus, leisurely hang around Port Orleans and visit other things days.
The best of both worlds really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom