Why is there a canal around WDW property?

WDW95

Original Poster
If one looks at an aerial view of WDW, they notice a canal that marks the boundaries of land that make up/made up WDW. Does anyone know why it is there or what purpose it serves or why they built it?

JIMINYCR

When Walt Disney purchased 47 square miles that were to become WDW as we know it today, the property was nothing more than desolate swampland, scrub forests, and groves. Massive amounts of earth had to be moved to transform this area into what's become the world's number one vacation destination. Since much of central Florida is, in essence, a thin layer of land "floating" on a body of water, Disney faced a daunting ecological challenge. It had to transform the area without damaging the water supply because if any part of it were damaged or destroyed, it would have caused a massive ecological imbalance that would have affected the entire region. To ensure the area's environmental health, Disney set aside 7,500-acre Conservation Area in 1970 and developed a system of more than 43 miles of canals and 22 miles of levees that blend into the natural landscape and control the water levels automatically.

When Walt Disney purchased 47 square miles that were to become WDW as we know it today, the property was nothing more than desolate swampland, scrub forests, and groves. Massive amounts of earth had to be moved to transform this area into what's become the world's number one vacation destination. Since much of central Florida is, in essence, a thin layer of land "floating" on a body of water, Disney faced a daunting ecological challenge. It had to transform the area without damaging the water supply because if any part of it were damaged or destroyed, it would have caused a massive ecological imbalance that would have affected the entire region. To ensure the area's environmental health, Disney set aside 7,500-acre Conservation Area in 1970 and developed a system of more than 43 miles of canals and 22 miles of levees that blend into the natural landscape and control the water levels automatically.
Wow, I couldn't have said it any better.:)

Donfan

An issue of National Geographic (I don't remember which one) published about the time of Walt Disney World's opening has an extensive discussion of the water flow through the area that feeds down into the swamps and National Parks of southern Florida.

sweetpee_1993

An issue of National Geographic (I don't remember which one) published about the time of Walt Disney World's opening has an extensive discussion of the water flow through the area that feeds down into the swamps and National Parks of southern Florida.

On Keys to the Kingdom in '08 we were told the water flow actually feeds the Everglades. That seemed a bit far to me but, eh, I really don't know.

Zombie invaders. Natural barrier to keep them out when the zombie plague hits... or is it to keep them in?:jawdrop::cautious:

To keep them in all they have to do is run that obnoxious 'Move It Shake It' parade 5 times a day. The zombies draw to it like flies to.... nevermind.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
On Keys to the Kingdom in '08 we were told the water flow actually feeds the Everglades. That seemed a bit far to me but, eh, I really don't know.

To keep them in all they have to do is run that obnoxious 'Move It Shake It' parade 5 times a day. The zombies draw to it like flies to.... nevermind.
i lik ethat parade :oops:

sweetpee_1993

i lik ethat parade :oops:

Why the sound has to be at such an ear-splitting level is beyond me. It's physically painful. Makes my brain feel like it's exploding. Last time I was subjected to the torture I moved as quickly as I could for the exit gate. That's not an exaggeration. We were just shy of running for the exits to get away. I couldn't tell you what the parade is actually like other than loud. Obnoxiously loud. I did, one time, look at the crowds gathered to watch it from a distance. I once heard someone describe Disney fans as cult followers. At the time, I thought that was a bit much. But, the day I saw the crowd gathered to watch the obnoxiousness screeching something about celebrating something (I don't really know) I looked at the crowd and I kid you not, it ~did~ actually look like mindless followers totally eating up anything being doled out. It was kinda an epiphane moment for me. I was like, "Good Lord, it IS sorta scary cult-ish!" Mind you, I totally buy-in more often than I care to admit. Next time you're there, stand back and watch. Don't watch the parade. Watch the people. It is seriously like watching a charismatic leader (Mickey) gathering his devoted followers (the fans). At the very least, you'll get a laugh! ;)

WDW Monorail

The canals help control water level in the lakes and "rivers". The water levels in these must be appropriate for watercraft navigation and docking.

FettFan

If one looks at an aerial view of WDW, they notice a canal that marks the boundaries of land that make up/made up WDW. Does anyone know why it is there or what purpose it serves or why they built it?

It's a moat, filled with alligators, snakes, and all sorts of nasties to keep gate crashers out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom