Why is the Wand.......

Arkansas Goofy

Original Poster
Why does so many people think the wand is a big deal at epcot? I personally think it gives the park a little more character. Without the wand, I think the ball just looks like a giant golf ball. But with the wand, it has a magical disney touch, at least in my opinion.

I guess the question is, am I missing something or what. Why all the fuss?

Tim G

Why does so many people think the wand is a big deal at epcot? I personally think it gives the park a little more character. Without the wand, I think the ball just looks like a giant golf ball. But with the wand, it has a magical disney touch, at least in my opinion.

I guess the question is, am I missing something or what. Why all the fuss?
You're my Hero...:sohappy: :D

ToTBellHop

I agree with you. Actually, most people either like the wand or don't care one way or the other. But, the people who hate it are much more vocal and need to vocalize their feelings at least once a week--coupled with an announcement that the wand is finally coming down...it's not an issue of lots of people hating it so much as cyclical discussions from a handful of folks about their hatred for the wand. I've never heard guests enterying the park, crying out, "Dear God! What is that thing!" anyway...

Pabgo

I think it adds that Disney "touch", too. But they do need to fix those lights or whatever around "Epcot". A lot of them are out and it looks tacky.

ToTBellHop

I think it adds that Disney "touch", too. But they do need to fix those lights or whatever around "Epcot". A lot of them are out and it looks tacky.
what "lights or whatever"?

And your data to back up this claim is...?

Do you have access to guest surveys that Disney has conducted regarding the wand?
Yes. Suffice it to say, there is not a line of guests at guest relations every night complaining about the wand.

mickster

Yes. Suffice it to say, there is not a line of guests at guest relations every night complaining about the wand.

But has someone actually kept track and/or conducted an actual survey where the claim, "most people either like the wand or don't care one way or the other", can actually be supported with data? Or is it just your observation that this seems to be the case?

Pabgo

I don't know if they're lights or not but it's the outline of the word "Epcot" on the wand. A lot of them are not working.

goofyfan13

I've made my opinion known about how I feel about the thing, but really, what's with the recent surge of wand threads? Seems like there is a new one every day. :shrug:

ToTBellHop

But has someone actually kept track and/or conducted an actual survey where the claim, "most people either like the wand or don't care one way or the other", can actually be supported with data? Or is it just your observation that this seems to be the case?
Let's use some logic here. Your opinion of the wand can be one of three things: like it, dislike it, or apathetic. If only a handful of people dislike it and therefore complain, then most people are in one of the other two categories. Guests will complain about anything they don't like (e.g. Superstar Limo when DCA opened), b/c they expect perfection, so it's a strong measure. I would say my "data" is stronger than the dozen or so people who like to think 95% of Epcot visitors gasp when they see the wand...
I've made my opinion known about how I feel about the thing, but really, what's with the recent surge of wand threads? Seems like there is a new one every day. :shrug:
There is nothing interesting going on at Disney right now (e.g. no Everest to discuss). If Disney doesn't start something exciting, soon, I fear Beastlie Kingdomme threads will pop up again....

mickster

Let's use some logic here. Your opinion of the wand can be one of three things: like it, dislike it, or apathetic. If only a handful of people dislike it and therefore complain, then most people are in one of the other two categories. Guests will complain about anything they don't like (e.g. Superstar Limo when DCA opened), b/c they expect perfection, so it's a strong measure. I would say my "data" is stronger than the dozen or so people who like to think 95% of Epcot visitors gasp when they see the wand...

That's what I thought. It was just your opinion but you were expressing it as though you had some sort of "inside" information. :cool:

DisneyYorkian74

Let's use some logic here. Your opinion of the wand can be one of three things: like it, dislike it, or apathetic. If only a handful of people dislike it and therefore complain, then most people are in one of the other two categories. Guests will complain about anything they don't like (e.g. Superstar Limo when DCA opened), b/c they expect perfection, so it's a strong measure. I would say my "data" is stronger than the dozen or so people who like to think 95% of Epcot visitors gasp when they see the wand...There is nothing interesting going on at Disney right now (e.g. no Everest to discuss)

I like the wand too.

I agree with your statement.

Only a handful of people who go to Walt Disney World are actually die-hard fans that actually even pay attention to the wand.

Most people are just happy to be in Walt Disney World on vacation and really couldn't care less.

goofyfan13

I wouldn't say that most people who hate the wand feel that 95% feel the same way. That said, it's mostly the "nostalgic" fans that hate the wand, as well as a good chunk(not necessarily a majority, but a large amount) of people who saw SSE before the wand went up. But I gotta agree with Mickster on this, just cause people aren't lining up at GR doesn't mean that the majority likes or dislikes the wand. I'd venture out to say that most people are apathetic, and with that, they can still dislike or like the thing, but they just don't care enough to do anything about it. Like me, I hate the thing, but have never made a trip to GR, cause really, I only see it 3 or 4 times out of the day when I'm there, and I can always position myself so that SSE blocks the wand out. :animwink:

ToTBellHop

Okay. The inside information is that the Wand is staying permanently. Must be that most guests are fine with it cuz Disney does respond to major sources of complaint.

It's a fact that few people complain about the wand. It's not my opinion. My opinion is that the Wand is fine. Perhaps you were expecting an exact percentage? I'm sorry to say, Disney does not have a need to conduct surveys about everything to ask if guests like it. For example, there is no need for a "Do you like the Tower of Terror?" survey or a "were the urinals at Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show up to snuff?"

ToTBellHop

I wouldn't say that most people who hate the wand feel that 95% feel the same way. That said, it's mostly the "nostalgic" fans that hate the wand, as well as a good chunk(not necessarily a majority, but a large amount) of people who saw SSE before the wand went up. But I gotta agree with Mickster on this, just cause people aren't lining up at GR doesn't mean that the majority likes or dislikes the wand. I'd venture out to say that most people are apathetic, and with that, they can still dislike or like the thing, but they just don't care enough to do anything about it. Like me, I hate the thing, but have never made a trip to GR, cause really, I only see it 3 or 4 times out of the day when I'm there, and I can always position myself so that SSE blocks the wand out. :animwink:

I never said the majority of guests like the wand. If you read my very first post, I said the majority of guests either like the wand or don't care one way or the other about it. If anyone dislikes something but doesn't go to Guest Relations about it, I'm not sure how they can be angry that it never changes. That's like the people who complain about Bush but don't vote.

goofyfan13

Okay. The inside information is that the Wand is staying permanently. Must be that most guests are fine with it cuz Disney does respond to major sources of complaint.

It's a fact that few people complain about the wand. It's not my opinion. My opinion is that the Wand is fine. Perhaps you were expecting an exact percentage? I'm sorry to say, Disney does not have a need to conduct surveys about everything to ask if guests like it. For example, there is no need for a "Do you like the Tower of Terror?" survey or a "were the urinals at Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show up to snuff?"

I agree, I don't expect you to have a percentage, I'm just saying that we need to account for that chunk in the middle that can either dislike it or like it, however, they don't care enough either way to make their opinions heard. Of course there's the vocal crowd on both sides, which is what we see on these boards mostly, but I'm willing to bet that there is that large group of people with an opinion on the thing, but they just don't want to either (a) spend the time to go to GR, (b) waste their time arguing with people about it.

lilphil6487

I have to say ive never seen people gasp at the sight of the wand either. I could care less if they had the wand up or not. I've been going there since years b4 the wand was put up and i could care less about it being up. Im just happy to go. Now if there were peices of it falling off because of disrepair ro something then maybe i might care. People worry about some really dumb things. Think about how exciting it is just to be at Epcot and not about the wand.

goofyfan13

I never said the majority of guests like the wand. If you read my very first post, I said the majority of guests either like the wand or don't care one way or the other about it. If anyone dislikes something but doesn't go to Guest Relations about it, I'm not sure how they can be angry that it never changes. That's like the people who complain about Bush but don't vote.

Oh I got that, I guess what I was trying to say is that I wouldn't say that it's as concrete as the 3 categories you gave. Like in my post above, I'm sure there are people who feel strongly about the wand, they just don't want to do anything about it...:wave: Just like the group you mentioned with complaining about Bush but not voting, same idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom