Why is Stitch's Great Escape still there?

copcarguyp71

Indeed- if I just cared about rides, there are numerous places closer to home that are cheaper too. (Living in the greater Philadelphia area, we've got at least 3 that are pretty close- Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and 6 Flags Great Adventure).

I go to WDW because, in part, I love a lot of the characters. Lilo & Stitch was a brilliant, hilarious, touching film and SHOULD be represented in the parks in some fashion. Part of my problem with SGE is that it focuses on the WMD aspect of his origin, and that misses a lot of the character he wound up becoming in the movie.

I would go to Knobles over Dorney or 6-flags anytime for the crowd it draws if no other reason. Much politer crowd...give it a try sometime.

Matt_Black

I would go to Knobles over Dorney or 6-flags anytime for the crowd it draws if no other reason. Much politer crowd...give it a try sometime.

I've never had any problems with other guests. Sometimes, the volume of passengers is large, but I've never run into a rude guest. In fact, on my last two trips, I've had a number of delightful conversations with other guests about the parks.

lazyboy97o

Indeed- if I just cared about rides, there are numerous places closer to home that are cheaper too. (Living in the greater Philadelphia area, we've got at least 3 that are pretty close- Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and 6 Flags Great Adventure).

I go to WDW because, in part, I love a lot of the characters. Lilo & Stitch was a brilliant, hilarious, touching film and SHOULD be represented in the parks in some fashion. Part of my problem with SGE is that it focuses on the WMD aspect of his origin, and that misses a lot of the character he wound up becoming in the movie.
Characters are not at all what distinguish Disney attractions from amusement rides.

Stitch got shoved where he did because the thought was about exploiting a character and not about what fit best in terms of story, be it the themed experience or the character.

copcarguyp71

I've never had any problems with other guests. Sometimes, the volume of passengers is large, but I've never run into a rude guest. In fact, on my last two trips, I've had a number of delightful conversations with other guests about the parks.

The last time I was at either one large Brazillianesque groups were there and pretty much taking whatever space in lines they felt they were entitled to with one person of their group in line right up until the final approach and then 10-14 of them showed up to ride and felt it was OK to just get ahead in line with their friend. We are only about a half hour from Dorney but that is why I would drive further to Knoebles. Just my own personal experience though.

Seabasealpha1

I dunno... I feel like all the attractions in tommorowland (save space mountain) are kinda sucky...the Stitch/Monsters Inc/Buzz Lightyear attractions all feel cheap and underdone to me...I feel like I've walked into a Chuck-e-Cheeses when I get anywhere near them...and it perplexes my brain because most of the other lands have better attractions...I think honestly it is just cheaper to do nothing and pretend there's no issue.

The timekeeper and Alien Encounter were far better...and I can say that having only watched the attractions on Youtube.

Sad.

psukardi

Don't you dare tell people about that place. I like a park that has tickets per ride, free admission, free parking and darn good food. Plus the bumper cars are the best in the country. It was a sad day when the announcer died.

copcarguyp71

Tomorrowland could give Meet The Robinsons some love? Stitch is adorable, but the "ride" or attraction itself IMHO needs some work!:cautious:

I Iove that movie and also think it would fit right in with the Tomorrowland theme. In fact at one point in the movie they actually had "Todayland" referenced.
apr-todayland.jpg

Unfortunately the movie was not a smash hit nor did it have a princess they can pawn off and hock in the gift shops...chance of it getting any love...ZERO

Mrs.Toad

I dunno... I feel like all the attractions in tommorowland (save space mountain) are kinda sucky...the Stitch/Monsters Inc/Buzz Lightyear attractions all feel cheap and underdone to me...I feel like I've walked into a Chuck-e-Cheeses when I get anywhere near them...and it perplexes my brain because most of the other lands have better attractions...I think honestly it is just cheaper to do nothing and pretend there's no issue.

The timekeeper and Alien Encounter were far better...and I can say that having only watched the attractions on Youtube.

Sad.

Yup. Rule # 52. LOL! Any carnival-like, midway, gaming themes, for anything…. dates faster than___________(fill in blank with a ride that is aging fast.)

This applies to UNI as well.

Toon Town
Amityville area at UNI
Hyperion Wharf (sort of)
what happened to California Adventure
Simpsons area had me a bit concerned before they seemed to have caught on too and now are addressing it.

Haven't made up rules #1-#51 but maybe it could happen. People have noted a lot of very insightful trends/patterns over the last few weeks.

doctornick

You're forgetting several top-notch AAs and superb voice acting, especially from Tim Curry.
More importantly, you're underplaying how important the tone of the ride is. The entire attraction design of Alien Encounter/Stitch is geared to be a terrifying one- locking everyone down in restraints in a dark room pointed inwards is supposed to generate a feeling of fear, and it was quite effective at this (even more so in some of the earlier incarnations). Stitch, on the other hand, is seemingly meant to be a comedy show, but with the restraint system and unavoidable noises and smells just turns into a giant machine meant to aggravate people. That's the chief problem with Stitch- the attraction hardware is disastrously ill-suited for the tone and subject matter of the show.

Exactly. The whole setup of the experience is for something scary. And the Stitch storyline is just too playful/silly to work. As I said before, SGE is too scary for little kids who would enjoy the cartoony nature and too silly for adults who can tolerate or enjoy the frightening elements. It doesn't have a good target audience.

ExtraTERROResrial was definitely scary and great for teens/adults who are into that sort of thing (haunted houses and the like).

quirkle

I was terrified of the alien encounter thing. It scared me. I don't do haunted houses either or watch horror movies.

It just seems that there could be anything better in that space. Maybe close a gift shop (gasp) and expand to something -anything

Wikkler

I was terrified of the alien encounter thing. It scared me. I don't do haunted houses either or watch horror movies.

It just seems that there could be anything better in that space. Maybe close a gift shop (gasp) and expand to something -anything
Is Haunted Mansion traumatic for you?

Matt_Black

Unfortunately the movie was not a smash hit nor did it have a princess they can pawn off and hock in the gift shops...chance of it getting any love...ZERO

Never say never. Bowler Hat Guy was at the Unleash the Villains event in September, after all, and they trot out Louis and Wilbur on occasion.

quirkle

Is Haunted Mansion traumatic for you?
Lol. I mean real haunted houses. I would rather have alien encounter back since it used the capabilities of the theater space. My daughter kept saying why don't they use all the holes in the seats.

BobConnor

Original Poster
Well, I didn't go in the show but did see this video. To be truthful, the sets and animatronics are better than average. But must there be the spitting, the odors and the painful restraints? Take those away and it might be at worst a "lame" and a time filler but not so obnoxious

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bi6mbfzCUhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goofyernmost

Well, I didn't go in the show but did see this video. To be truthful, the sets and animatronics are better than average. But must there be the spitting, the odors and the painful restraints? Take those away and it might be at worst a "lame" and a time filler but not so obnoxious

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bi6mbfzCUhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Gosh, you must be fun at parties. It's not phlegm, it's just water, it's not an actual body generated odor, it's a air and scent mixture. The painful restraints are way, way over-exaggerated by the drama happy folks that bring you every other OMG, message found on the internet.

I learned a long time ago to just enjoy the sometimes dark humor of Disney. You obviously do not or cannot, fine, it takes all kinds to make a world. No problem. But should you come on here all fire and brimstone telling us how awful something is that you have never even seen in person? Seems to lose a little credibility don't you think.

BobConnor

Original Poster
Gosh, you must be fun at parties. It's not phlegm, it's just water, it's not an actual body generated odor, it's a air and scent mixture. The painful restraints are way, way over-exaggerated by the drama happy folks that bring you every other OMG, message found on the internet.

I learned a long time ago to just enjoy the sometimes dark humor of Disney. You obviously do not or cannot, fine, it takes all kinds to make a world. No problem. But should you come on here all fire and brimstone telling us how awful something is that you have never even seen in person? Seems to lose a little credibility don't you think.

Well maybe I don't go to parties that much but people do like me at parties. But this show sounds like it leaves guests smelly, uncomfortable, I did not even mention damp and also, kind of told they are incompetent (the recruits let stitch escape so up go the restraints and they leave) How is that entertaining? Where is the dark humor there?

And what is it with Disney and bad odors? I am thinking about Journey Into Imagination with Figment when he lets out gas. It's not that bad, but why is that part of the story? Also, ironically, Animal Kingdom smells better than the Pittsburgh Zoo so they make an effort to not have guests smell a zoo.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Dark humor is one thing, but SGE just focuses on more... crass humor, and it doesn't really work.
Strictly your opinion, I think that it fulfills exactly what they were aiming for, it's just that some, like yourself, that don't like it. Like I said...I takes many to make a world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom