Why is running at Disney so popular?

epcotisbest

Original Poster
The marathon just finished, and my wife and several others are going down in Feb. for the princess half marathon, where she will run 13 miles dressed as Cinderella. Last year she was dressed as Tink.
Anyway, I just don't get the popularity of running at Disney. Seems there are so many other, better things to do. Of course I don't get running for pleasure either. The only way I would be a runner is if someone is chasing me with a stick...and it would have to be a really big stick.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm thinking of signing up for a race someday. I fall into the running/disney demo. I think Disney should also have an adventure style Tough Mudder or Spartan race, but they're so worried about lawsuits at the moment it will probably never happen.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
because running through the MK sure beats running through boring woods or city ghettos :)

Not being a runner, I can understand running through woods would be boring, depending on the wildlife there and its tolerance of runners. Same for the city I suppose.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Easy answer...the cool medals.

wdw_medals.png

tot_medal.jpg

029_wd_medal.jpg

PatriciaH

I'm thinking of signing up for a race someday. I fall into the running/disney demo. I think Disney should also have an adventure style Tough Mudder or Spartan race, but they're so worried about lawsuits at the moment it will probably never happen.

They do the EE Challenge, but I think it is just a 5K. They also had a Muddy Buddy at WWofS.

StarWarsGirl

The marathon just finished, and my wife and several others are going down in Feb. for the princess half marathon, where she will run 13 miles dressed as Cinderella. Last year she was dressed as Tink.
Anyway, I just don't get the popularity of running at Disney. Seems there are so many other, better things to do. Of course I don't get running for pleasure either. The only way I would be a runner is if someone is chasing me with a stick...and it would have to be a really big stick.
Running at WDW is only acceptable if you have Soarin' Fastpasses that are about to expire.

I'm with you; I don't see the fun of running. Biking, yes. Running? No.

bmarkelon

I definitely hope to run any of Disney's races that I could work into our schedule. It's just so tricky to figure it out with young kids. I would love to earn that TOT medal!!!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Well....a few things:

1: Disney is still the best at race organization. They can move a huge amount of people seamlessly from place to place. Every water stop is well manned, they always have enough supplies and volunteers. They have more than adequate medical staff on hand, and supply little things like aspirin and biofreeze along the course.

2: Scenery. If you're going to run 13.1-26.2 miles, it might as well be through some great places. These theme parks are some of the most magical places on earth, and going through them is an experience unlike anything I've ever had.

3: Support. I've run my fair share of races, both locally, and in large cities as well. The support along the course from every spectator is unreal. Cast members come out in costumes to cheer you on. Perfect strangers stay long after their runner has passed to cheer on the back of the pack. There are local marching bands along the route cheering you on. They have constant entertainment when you are not in the parks to keep your spirits high. Also, if you are running for experience, this is the place to go. The elite runners are in the front, and all the normal rules are followed. If you want to run for fun, you can drop back in the pack, and just have a good time. The mood is relaxed to make it more of an experience than just running the streets of "city x".

4: The bling....oh the bling.....

701989_537621469590804_616766006_o.jpg

imagination30

People have their own likes.... and even though they say runing can be boring.., it can be a life changing habit or you can turn it into a lifestyle... , either way finding your nich in life is simple find something you like and stick with it... , you Never know you could change your outlook , bc of it.. so the two go hand in hand .. , they are both addictive when you first start.. so there you go my 2 cents!... --- ill be runing the 2014 Half marthon.... --

Texas84

It is as simple as the fact that there are a lot of runners out there, and a lot of runners who also like WDW. So why not combine the two - running at WDW. :)
Was going to say lock thread on that one. :D

If I'm going to fly down, I'm going to do the marathon. If I was a local, I'd do the shorter races all the time.
Or do Wine & Dine or ToT for the party!

@Fievel Yes, the scenery.... sans Osceola Parkway. But with the glass half full, the rest cancels that out as much as we loathe it.
The last runDisney survey I got had a section, "What did you like least?" :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The last runDisney survey I got had a section, "What did you like least?" :)

I got that too for the ToT 10-Miler. I pointed out that they overuse Osceola. I said that it's not a bad thing, but that it's overused, and they never provide entertainment. It just seems to be the place where they send runners to chew up the required miles.... I'd rather use World Drive..at least it has billboards.

StarWarsGirl

While I don't see the fun in running at WDW, I've had some very enjoyable bike rides through the campgrounds. Lots of riding space, woods are pretty and cool, there's places to refill my mug...

I'm an asthmatic, though, so running tends to be tough. Some asthmatics have no trouble with it. Others just plain can't do it. I fall in the latter category. Which is weird because I can ride a stationary bike really fast, but now I'm getting off topic. If you're going to run, why not do it at Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom