Why is it a MILLION times better staying @ a WDW Resort?

DSNYKID

Ok,

I've stayed at Value, Moderate and Deluxe WDW resorts...and each time it was magical. In December, we stayed at the Shades of Green and although it was nice... it was just not the same. Although it was close to the MK and the Poly, the transportation was medicore, thus this may be part of the reason. But Im telling you, there was no PIXIE Dust in the place.... No Magical feel at the end of the day. The same can be said for some real nice hotels not run by Disney. To me, a Value resort has much more magic then some 5 star hotel near Downtown Disney.

Do you know what Im talking about?

ToTBellHop

We stayed off property one year to save a few bucks--it was insignificantly cheaper than the All-Stars but supposed to be a better quality resort. Well, never again! Between the theming, superior transportation, EMHs, CMs, location, and Magical Express, the small increase in cost to stay at Pop Century pays for itself. It used to be more of an issue before the Value Resorts opened, but now there really isn't any reason to not fork over the $80/night for Pop.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

for our trip in april we stayed at the poly, mostly cause it was our honeymoon (and i really love the place) and now alex is hooked on deluxes. his family always stayed off site, but now he won't even consider it. we did drive to most places (alex hates buses), but that wasn't bad, it didn't take long and alex still got to ride the trams (for some weird reason he likes it). we will never stay off property, we love being immersed in the magic.

tracy

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We've done both, and at the risk of being flamed, we've enjoyed both. When we're just going for a short trip, it's nice to immerse yourself in the magic, but when we go for a week or more, there's just so much more to FL than just the theme parks, that I think you're missing a lot by staying on property.

*dons an asbestos suit in prepartion for the upcoming flaming*

Upvote 0

barnum42

tracyandalex said:
we will never stay off property, we love being immersed in the magic.
It's nice that you have the means to stay onsite at deluxe resorts (and no doubt work hard for said means) but my concern is when I see people decide not to go to the parks because someone told them you should only stay onsite. Because they were only just able to afford off-site they decide to stay at home because they are under the impression the trip will be a waste based on where they can afford to sleep.

No question, on-site will keep the magic going but staying near the magic is still a good alternative - especially if it allows you to enjoy the parks for even longer. You may miss out on getting into the parks an hour early, but if it means you can afford extra days..... :)

Upvote 0

blackerbys17

Agreed! I LOVE staying on-site, really! But as far as transportation convenience goes, only the MK deluxe resorts are worth the extra cash for me. My last trip we stayed at the Contemporary, it was SOOOO great! I also love the WL, not so convenient because their is no mono to MK but you do have a boat and GREAT themeing!

As for staying offsite I do it for one reason, to save money! Living 3.5 hours away from the "World" means I can go about once a month if I want to but who can afford a Disney hotel for 2-3 days once a month? Not I, so I've opted to stay offsite a few times, like this coming weekend. How do I compensate for having to stay offsite? For mid-day breaks, I hop onboard the Monorail or go sit in one of the MK hotel lobbys and that way I get my rest and not leave the magic. Then, at the very end of the day, I go home to my hotel. By then I'm pretty sleepy so I would have only enjoyed the magic of my hotel for a few minutes before dozing off.

Other reasons for staying offsite is for conferences. I'm staying at the Renaissance at Sea World in June and my company is footing the bill so I'll stay anywhere they want me too! :D

I also have a HUGE family trip planned in October and I rented a GREAT 7 bedroom house with a pool and game room for $750 for 5 days! Even better, the house is Disney themed from top to bottom, can't beat that!

The point is, yes, on-site is lovely but if money is a concern, stay off-site and longer for less than a Disney hotel, you'll still have lots of fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

hokielutz

I've stayed both on and offsite. I've really enjoyed the experiences of both. Recently I've been to the All-star, Pop Century, and Coranado Springs. And off-site, I've stayed at the Gaylord Palms (convention) and the Vistana resort as a promo Vacation ownership deal with Sheraton. And I can honestly say there are significant differences with both. But I've enjoyed the differences too. The pluses of using their transportation is awesome. No need to worry about car keys, parking lots, etc... but the drive in from the just off-site places isn't bad. Yes it may take longer to get to and from the magic, but if you choose your offsite room well and plan properly, it can be as relaxing as staying on property.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'll be staying at the Vistana Villages in June and bringing family to stay with my family. So we would need two rooms on the disney property to fit, as opposed to the two bedroom villa we will stay in. Hopefully the summer crowds won't hinder our trips in and out of the world too much.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

barnum42 said:
It's nice that you have the means to stay onsite at deluxe resorts (and no doubt work hard for said means) but my concern is when I see people decide not to go to the parks because someone told them you should only stay onsite. Because they were only just able to afford off-site they decide to stay at home because they are under the impression the trip will be a waste based on where they can afford to sleep.

No question, on-site will keep the magic going but staying near the magic is still a good alternative - especially if it allows you to enjoy the parks for even longer. You may miss out on getting into the parks an hour early, but if it means you can afford extra days..... :)

agreed. the reason we are able to stay in deluxes is because it is just us 2 and we're florida residents. we have no kids and not too many bills. now that we got married and are going to have kids that many very well change (we hope not though). if we had to choose going to wdw is more important than where we stay while we're there

tracy

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Nemo14 said:
When we're just going for a short trip, it's nice to immerse yourself in the magic, but when we go for a week or more, there's just so much more to FL than just the theme parks, that I think you're missing a lot by staying on property.

No flaming, but just because you are staying on property doesn't mean you can't leave:lol: . This upcoming trip while I'm staying on property, I've rented a car and plan to do other things, like shopping. So if you see this person hauling in a huge amount of shopping bags at Pop, you'll know it's me!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

shoppingnut said:
No flaming, but just because you are staying on property doesn't mean you can't leave:lol: . This upcoming trip while I'm staying on property, I've rented a car and plan to do other things, like shopping. So if you see this person hauling in a huge amount of shopping bags at Pop, you'll know it's me!
LOL - I'll be watching for you!

Good point, but I was talking more about those who totaly immerse in disney for long periods of time.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Nemo14 said:
Good point, but I was talking more about those who totaly immerse in disney for long periods of time.

Oh, you mean the crazy people who would if they had the chance burn that other place to ground that's just down the road a piece. Did I just say that.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Nemo14 said:
No, I'm not a fan of Universal either, but here's just a lot of things to do in FL that don't involve theme parks.

I go to Universal once in a while, but that is because I can get in for free, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother. There are definitely plenty of other things to do outside the theme parks.

Upvote 0

Kadee

shoppingnut said:

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. We are only 7 hours away so we drive. We go to the "other park" and the "'other' other park"..sea world. most of the time. ANd of course, there is the shopping! We've also done the Ripley's museum. My daughter is facinated by those things and we have to go to them if there is one in the city we are visiting. It is just very nice to come back to a Disney resort after doing all the other stuff. I must say that the MAIN reason for staying on Disney property is the fact that it is cleaner..... not necessarily the room (ours usually is very clean, but I have heard the horror stories), but the grounds and everything. you don't have to look at ugly tatoo parlors, nasty bars, empty trashed out buildings and the such. I would just rather not see any of that.

Upvote 0

kennygman

We've stayed on and off site and since having children we prefer value on site. It is a very reasonable rate and we get disney ALL day long too.

Upvote 0

Woody13

Kadee said:
...you don't have to look at ugly tatoo parlors, nasty bars, empty trashed out buildings and the such. I would just rather not see any of that.
If you stay at the Pop Century you'll have a nice view of empty trashed out buildings right across the lake. :D

Also, I'm very flexible concerning my accomodations. I like to sleep around everywhere. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

jmvd20

Woody13 said:
If you stay at the Pop Century you'll have a nice view of empty trashed out buildings right across the lake. :D

Also, I'm very flexible concerning my accomodations. I like to sleep around everywhere. :lookaroun

What are the empty trashed out buildings? I haven't heard this before.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom