Why is Hyperspace Mountain Still a Thing?

TomboyJanet

Original Poster
Of all the Space Mountains this was the WORST fit for it. Star Wars in a steampunk space ride themed to Jules Verne? the queue area is the same, the cannon is the same, and yet they just play music and project Tie fighters on asteroids but it's still obvious that they are asteroids. I was really devastated that I couldn't ride the actual Space Mountain and not this corrupted version. My friend that I went with was baffled by this ride, as this was her first introduction to Star Wars related rides, as she is not a Star Wars fan and kinda never saw the movies, and was turned off to them because of it.

I told her to just ignore the star wars stuff as it has no relevance. It feels like something someone would make on Rollercoaster Tycoon. Like one time when I downloaded a park that had Kuzco's tower of terror, which was all dark and had a sign indicating that people died in the pool. It's just madness!

Idk if they are planning to change it or not, I haven't found any confirmations on this forum, but I may have missed something. Either way. I just wanted to know. It just seems like they were trying too hard.

Moon knight

Discoveryland has a very bright future ahead, believe me and Hyperspace Mountain won't be part of it !

* In a few months, the Nautilus will emerge again after a veeeeeeeeeeery long refurbishment with some surprises. The squid will be quite... different though

* "Space Mountain : Aux Confins de l'Univers" (the working title of the revamped ride) will replace permanently Hyperspace Mountain in 2025 after a year-long refurbishment (ala BTM). The storyline will be deeply rooted in the 1995's original lore with a few S.E.A nods featured in the queue.

* "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast" could be rethemed within the next ten years, but it solely depend on its californian counterpart. DLP teams wants a cost-sharing for this project-that is far from being their priority right now. A "Lightyear" overlay was proposed for the MK, DLR and DLR before it bombed at the box office but this was surprisingly not their first attempt to retheme this dark ride. Stitch is one of the most popular Disney character in Europe (Merchandising+ Meet and Greets) and a little bird told me they excavated some old archives of SDR in which they initially proposed a "Stitch Interactive ride" before getting eventually replaced by "Buzz Lighyear Planet rescue". Stitch being a pretty versatile character (just like Mickey), it wouldn't surprise me to see him in a steampunk costume ;)

LondonTom

Discoveryland has a very bright future ahead, believe me and Hyperspace Mountain won't be part of it !

* In a few months, the Nautilus will emerge again after a veeeeeeeeeeery long refurbishment with some surprises. The squid will be quite... different though

* "Space Mountain : Aux Confins de l'Univers" (the working title of the revamped ride) will replace permanently Hyperspace Mountain in 2025 after a year-long refurbishment (ala BTM). The storyline will be deeply rooted in the 1995's original lore with a few S.E.A nods featured in the queue.

* "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast" could be rethemed within the next ten years, but it solely depend on its californian counterpart. DLP teams wants a cost-sharing for this project-that is far from being their priority right now. A "Lightyear" overlay was proposed for the MK, DLR and DLR before it bombed at the box office but this was surprisingly not their first attempt to retheme this dark ride. Stitch is one of the most popular Disney character in Europe (Merchandising+ Meet and Greets) and a little bird told me they excavated some old archives of SDR in which they initially proposed a "Stitch Interactive ride" before getting eventually replaced by "Buzz Lighyear Planet rescue". Stitch being a pretty versatile character (just like Mickey), it wouldn't surprise me to see him in a steampunk costume ;)
Oh man some Discoveryland love, and going back to the Steampunk/Jules Vernes vibes would be so great!!

I quite like Buzz as it is, but using Stitch as a bridge between IP and the theme land would be just fantastic.

mrflo

That's great news! I hope the squid will not be replaced by a screen.

Do you know if this SM refurbishment will also include a track replacement? After 30 years and the current bumpy ride quality I would expect this to happen. It would be equally important as bringing back the Jules Vernes theme.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's great news! I hope the squid will not be replaced by a screen.

Do you know if this SM refurbishment will also include a track replacement? After 30 years and the current bumpy ride quality I would expect this to happen. It would be equally important as bringing back the Jules Vernes theme.
Bumpy? It’s silky smooth with the new chassis compared to how it used to be!

Still, Disneyland smooth would be nice.

mrflo

Bumpy? It’s silky smooth with the new chassis compared to how it used to be!

Still, Disneyland smooth would be nice.
Depends on the bench mark for ride smoothness. :) But true, it got better with the new trains.

For example, for Space Mountain in DLR the track was replaced after 26 years and for Eurosat in Europa-Park after 28 years. Hence, I would assume SM in DLP to get the same attention for its 30th anniversary.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Depends on the bench mark for ride smoothness. :) But true, it got better with the new trains.

For example, for Space Mountain in DLR the track was replaced after 26 years and for Eurosat in Europa-Park after 28 years. Hence, I would assume SM in DLP to get the same attention for its 30th anniversary.
In all fairness SM in Anaheim was damaged with not much choice (despite the thoughts of some) but to replace it.

But we do have EuroSat, Hulk, Dragons Challenge and now Nemesis as metrics too. And please. Fix the damn roof lighting !! Pet peeve of mine.

yensidtlaw1969

Thanks for the updates! Could you tell us more about the new squid? That animatronic is one of my favorites anywhere, and the way you phrased that has me nervous 😬

Markiewong

Neither of those are Vekoma's. Python in the Efteling got rebuild in 2018 after 37 years (it was one of Vekoma's first coasters) and that one is outdoor. SM shouldn't need a retrack until its +-40th year.

fradz

Neither of those are Vekoma's. Python in the Efteling got rebuild in 2018 after 37 years (it was one of Vekoma's first coasters) and that one is outdoor. SM shouldn't need a retrack until its +-40th year.
I agree that indoor coasters are more challenging, so we’d look at Eurosat for a benchmark. I agree it’s not a Vekoma (or Arrow Dynamics, given that Vekoma got their 'old' tracks systems from there), but Eurosat was extremely rough the years before it closed for re-tracking.

The reason SM in Paris got rough quicker than other rides is because the trains ended up being much heavier than anticipated with the inboard audio system, which was revolutionary at the time but not very compact. The added weight put a lot more stress on the tracks than calculated originally, hence the quicker deterioration there. I've watched a very interesting video on that topic but would have to find it back.

aalllllyyyyyy

Efteling is not operating year long, and Space Mountain has a way tighter track layout causing intense efforts on the track elements. Vekoma did warn about that (many other manufacturers refused to take the challenge as the dome was too intricate for them), and the train weight problem @fradz mentioned was also a thing (the speed was reduced in part for this reason during testing). There's already a lot of fatigue on that ride, with regular need for cracks welding, additional gussets or steel reinforcement plates and even some elements replacement. They can maintain it for 10 or 15 more years, but it's getting gradually harder to do so. I would hope that they decide to change the track completely for the 2024/2025(ish) refurb but from what I heard recently, it is not planned.

rickreptile

Efteling is not operating year long, and Space Mountain has a way tighter track layout causing intense efforts on the track elements. Vekoma did warn about that (many other manufacturers refused to take the challenge as the dome was too intricate for them), and the train weight problem @fradz mentioned was also a thing (the speed was reduced in part for this reason during testing). There's already a lot of fatigue on that ride, with regular need for cracks welding, additional gussets or steel reinforcement plates and even some elements replacement. They can maintain it for 10 or 15 more years, but it's getting gradually harder to do so. I would hope that they decide to change the track completely for the 2024/2025(ish) refurb but from what I heard recently, it is not planned.
What do you mean Efteling is not operating year long? It's operating year long for many years now (covid period not included). The Python itself usually get a short period of maintenance on a yearly basis just so it can operate the rest of the year. Python only closes if the weather doesn't permits it to run.

But in any case i hope to see it return to the Space Mountain theme jules verne style.

mrflo

Efteling started to remain open year-round as of 2010, which means that Python was not running year long for its first 29 years of operation. Hence the re-tracking after 37 years of Python in 2018 would actually indicate that a track replacement for SM after 30 years in 2025 would be quite common. Maybe they will wait for this rumoured speeder bike coaster to open to not loose the ride capacity?

TomboyJanet

Original Poster
To address the elephant in the room, do we think the original soundtrack will return?
I do hope so! That was AMAZING from what I've seen. Sadly I only got to ride it as Hyperspace but I kinda Ignored the Star Wars theming and focused on the Verne stuff. For me it was very much a Steampunk ride and not a Star Wars ride. On that note the restaurant with the Hyperion is really cool looking and the Nautilus walk through was outstanding. It really felt like a true Disney attraction with mystery and fantasy not done by computer screens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom